TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum, thank you so much for admitting me. I've got a few basic questions about the TW200 orgins with which I have had some trouble finding, and I thought I could ask them here.

Does anyone know what factory built and/or assembled the TW200 over the years? Is it Iwata, Japan? Newnan, Georgia (USA)? Are most of the components made in Japan? Are there any US parts suppliers used, like with many of the ATVs built in Newnan, Georgia? Are there a lot of Chinese parts in the later TW200s? I know all TW200 VINS will start with J for Japan, but many Yamaha products have a great deal of US components and even assembly here. I'm really just trying to find out about the pedigree of these remarkable DP bikes. Thanks in advance for any insights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never heard of TW's being manufactured anyplace outside of Japan. Also, I don't have any idea where the factory, or factories are located.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

Brian
Brian, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post; it's very helpful. So, on your bike, you see "Made in Japan" on the frame? On OEM replacement parts, do you see the same? Or do you see a lot of "Made in China" on stuff? I assume now that nothing on the TW200 is "Made in USA"? That's fine. I just don't want to buy a bike with a lot of China-made components; been burned way too many times. Thanks man.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The tw is very japanese. If you look at individual components some of them say made in japan, even down to the tires and rims. I believe the headlight also says made in japan and the plastics as well. The tw seems to be a bike that the japanese themselves really love. If you look into it, theres a crazy custom scene in japan with the tw. People turn them into really wild looking bobbers and stretch the swingarms and all kinds of crazy stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tw is very japanese. If you look at individual components some of them say made in japan, even down to the tires and rims. I believe the headlight also says made in japan and the plastics as well. The tw seems to be a bike that the japanese themselves really love. If you look into it, theres a crazy custom scene in japan with the tw. People turn them into really wild looking bobbers and stretch the swingarms and all kinds of crazy stuff.
This is VERY helpful Will. I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Yamaha assembly plants are mostly in Japan but their global partners and jobbers supply manufactured parts from all over. The jobbers must meed Yamaha's quality control standards though, supply a bunch of TW oil filters with the wrong number of holes and Yamaha Motor Company won't renew your contract next year. Unfortunately some of these wrong filters are still in the supply stream & their dealer networks will still happily sell them though.
While the TTR 223cc motor shoe-horned into my TW was made in Manaus, Brazil one shouldn't be too concerned about point of manufacture in today's global economy. A quick search just now turned up 477 Yamaha motorcycle manufacturers and suppliers in China alone although nothing specific for the TW200 caught my attention. Really no different from other major corporations, my last Mercedes was full of parts made in Mexico and assembled in USA. You don't think Ford makes its own brake fluid, or molds its own tires, or makes battery cables, headlight bulbs,etc?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Its pretty amazing how Japan turned quality perception around. I remember as a kid in the early 70s, everything from Japan was considered crapola. I ended up going cross country on a Kawie thouie with no problems

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yamaha assembly plants are mostly in Japan but their global partners and jobbers supply manufactured parts from all over. The jobbers must meed Yamaha's quality control standards though, supply a bunch of TW oil filters with the wrong number of holes and Yamaha Motor Company won't renew your contract next year. Unfortunately some of these wrong filters are still in the supply stream & their dealer networks will still happily sell them though.
While the TTR 223cc motor shoe-horned into my TW was made in Manaus, Brazil one shouldn't be too concerned about point of manufacture in today's global economy. A quick search just now turned up 477 Yamaha motorcycle manufacturers and suppliers in China alone although nothing specific for the TW200 caught my attention. Really no different from other major corporations, my last Mercedes was full of parts made in Mexico and assembled in USA. You don't think Ford makes its own brake fluid, or molds its own tires, or makes battery cables, headlight bulbs,etc?
Thanks for sharing the results of your research Fred. This is very helpful. So, from your work here and your experience, you’d say the TW200 is a majority Made in Japan bike? Others here have said it too. This is a good thing. One of the other reasons I wanted to get this deep down info is because I’d like to write a piece comparing the TW with the Rokon. Thanks man!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks for sharing the results of your research Fred. This is very helpful. So, from your work here and your experience, you’d say the TW200 is a majority Made in Japan bike? Others here have said it too. This is a good thing. One of the other reasons I wanted to get this deep down info is because I’d like to write a piece comparing the TW with the Rokon. Thanks man!
Wow, that's like comparing apples to oranges. That will be an interesting read and I look forward to that. Are we, as in the forum, gonna be privy to this write-up? I sure hope so. Never owned one, never ridden one, but, the ROKON has always been an interesting exploration vehicle to me. I trust you are having fun doing this review piece!

Marty

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
I would summarize that the TW200 is inherently a Japanese product with good Japanese build quality and reliability; and accept the reality that globalization usually entails sourcing that crosses national boundaries in order to optimize the manufacturer's desired cost to quality relationship.
As far as a Rokon comparison wouldn't better competition be a modern mini-bike vs. Rokon, or better yet vs a Russian Taurus 2x2? All probably have about the top speed and are not road legal. Where the Rokon can go but the others can't just pick em' up and carry .:cool:

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the summary Fred. Perfect! Actually, there’s a new model called the Rokon Ranger that is street legal and does 37 mph. Not a direct competitor, but close. Brand new it’s about twice the price of the TW 200!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts