TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Spent four days exploring backcountry near headwaters of Stanislaus River between Carson-IceBurg and Mulkolumne Wildernesses. Really nice scenery despite wildfire smoke, great destinations and good road conditions. My rock-bound camp had no cell coverage so I missed any excitement here.
I did have my very own little snow pond and solitary mallard for company though. Good for meteor viewing as the open granite slick rock reflected plenty of moon and starlight for night hikes.
My Camp site under the trees with small lake in background

Smallest body of water whole trip but sure pretty with many darting dragonflies.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Beautiful, Fred.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After four days, 280 miles, a few lesser mountain peaks , several alpine meadows and a handful or two of rockbound lakes all stitched together by inviting curvy roads, trails and singletracks I have more to share. Just need to clean up a full Start Up Disk on my Apple to build some videos. Aaargh, so much better riding a trail bike than riding a laptop!

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Just the drive over the Sierras to my playground area was dramatic. Road seems very narrow from my van. Narrow TW has a lot more wiggle room...a total blast on a motorcycle!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the compliments folks, but all of us can do similar fun stuff with a little planning ( and a TW to get you there ).
Some of these bigger lakes have excellent trout fishing. It has been a few years but I used to sneak up here for sunset/full moon kayak trolling sessions or shoreline camp outs with gear hauled in via canoe. Nice way to get away from the crowds as well as avoiding the newer management policies of prohibiting lakeside 4x4 vehicle camping.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Exploring new high country was fun and challenging but the smoke from distant wildfires detracted from the vistas. Peak bagging still has its rewards.

and upsets when roads are blocked or impassable. This was not first time uncleared deadfalls blocked my way this trip. Must have been a harsh winter.

Sometimes the rocks are a little hard on the equipment. Glad was just footpeg and not my foot that got mangled.

Smoke lessened towards end of trip so views into wilderness areas improved.

Now where am I? .. and how do I get back to camp 30 miles away?

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I would climb from within the Stanislaus watershed over ridges and drop into "basins" dead ending as terrain plunged into Mokulumne thousand of roadless feet below, places with picturesque names like Bear Trap Basin. You can see from the deformed trees that the snow lies deep and heavy with avalanches at times.

Last photos were from Corral Basin if I recall. I visited three of these historical sites. Modern wilderness boundary was drawn right up to end of these grandfathered-in jeep roads. I heard cow bells so someone must be running cattle back there. Reminds me of the early rancher who operated in the Bryce Canyon area of Utah who was known to bemoan "Heck of a place to loose a cow".

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Quick video of the original thread's theme:

Unfortunately the area has been discovered and publicized much to it's detriment. It lies along the "Slick Rock Jeep Trail " which has been severely eroded in last two years by 4x4s loosening soil then getting washed away in spring run-off. Along with the advertising and signs are new restrictive regulations, camp site closures, trail closures and way too many visitors. Oh well, so much for another of my secret get-aways.:(

I originally found this place decades ago tracking down a purported gold occurrence after a stinky prospector showed me a quite sizable nugget he claimed to have found there. This was when a 2wd Toyota Hi-Lux could drive the whole length. 4 years ago it was fun on a TW; 2 years ago it was a challenge, this year completing the trail would have been dangerous if not impassable for me alone on Betty Boop. While I was there a monstrous front end loader came in and blocked off the last TW by-pass to avoiding "The Ladder" with 50+ tons of boulders. Too bad as while "The Ladder" may be descended it is darn near impossible to ascend, thus once attempted one is committed to surmounting several other serious sections.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts