TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Im getting ready to give up on trying to make my TW street legal again, i just dont know what im missing, would anybody be able to give some tips? Im missing EVERYTHING besides kill switch and key ignition switch, i hooked everything up and the button doesnt even crank the motor - nothing at all. Any ideas? Am i missing a part? Do i need an odometer to make the bike start? What am i missing? Bike currently starts by jumping the starter relays two poles but would definitely love to make the kill switch work again... any ideas or help is appreciated, will always post update on my bike, heres a quick pic, started from trash and is now “dirtbike ready” my bike is obviously the black and red one!

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
I guess I'm just getting old, but I believe a paper manual is absolutely worth the money. When I'm working on the bike I like something on the table I can quickly flip through and find the reference I need. The digital manual is a wonderful resource, however, I find I spend much more time trying to find information with it. Just 2 cents from a "young man" quickly approaching the "other side of the hill!"

·
Registered
629 Posts
It might be helpful to post where you're located. Maybe another member near you has a complete bike you can compare yours to, so you can physically see what is missing and what modifications have been made to your harness.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Begin with a voltmeter or circuit tester, they are less than 5 bucks and you can make one out of a turn signal in a pinch.
You could test the relay by jumping 12v to the start terminal and you can also jump around any suspect switches to troubleshoot but this is much easier and faster with a tester.

With Your bike being stripped and missing stuff, it might be better to make your own circuits/ harness and run just the minimum lighting with a basic start circuit. You could just repair and replace any OEM component$ but now is the chance to go all LED and custom.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Begin with a voltmeter or circuit tester, they are less than 5 bucks and you can make one out of a turn signal in a pinch.
You could test the relay by jumping 12v to the start terminal and you can also jump around any suspect switches to troubleshoot but this is much easier and faster with a tester.

With Your bike being stripped and missing stuff, it might be better to make your own circuits/ harness and run just the minimum lighting with a basic start circuit. You could just repair and replace any OEM component$ but now is the chance to go all LED and custom.
i would love to do that, i just first have to figure out how to make this bike shut on and off with the start button! once i figure out whats stopping me i will definitely make my own custom lights and all and post it here!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well I can tell you as a newer rider and my first two motorcycles needed to be completely rewired, one was missing half the harness.

If you wanna fix electrical stuff, you gotta learn electrical stuff. There are a lot of shared circuits on the bike, and you are dealing with DC systems, so the negative acts as the ground, if you have an open ground on a shared circuit, a lot of times nothing will work.

Get yourself a wiring diagram for your bike, and dive in face first, pick a component like the battery, CDI, ignition, lights and just get started.

When I rewired my KZ550, I started with controls, I bought new right hand controls and focused on getting all those wires connected first, then left hand controls, then front lights, harness to battery, then remaining ignition components, then rear lights.

And honestly, if it just feels too complicated and/or you aren't interested, a local bike shop should be able to hook you up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts