TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to find square u-bolts 2"x2" (more elusive than the fantastical unicorn)

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm trying to mount my trunk/case to the Yamaha OEM rear rack. Easy, right? Had a spacer made to get it over the rack's upturn, now just to get some square u-bolts and drill some holes!

Well durn. Both Home Depot and Lowe's in the City do not have u-bolts at all, let alone a size that I'd want. And I can't seem to type in the right, magical words to get much to show in the Googles, either. I didn't realize that they wouldn't be an easy thing to find.

Should I just get some long ones online and hope that I can cut them down (once installed) with what few tools I have (old dremel)? Should I try some local, smaller hardware stores? I figured HD/Lowe's would have everything, and stuff would only get harder to find as the stores went down in size...

Is there a better way to go about making the case stick to the OEM rack?

I hate spending money and then just sitting there looking at it not get used.

TIA

·
Registered
385 Posts
They can be pricey, but check out McMaster-Carr

I only use them if I can't find what I want elsewhere, or if I just want it anyway. It all depends on my needs.The good thing about asking here, and internet searches, is most of this doesn't take a big investment in time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been reliably informed that most of the 2" wide square U bolts will indeed be something longer on the threaded part.
Figured it wouldn't be easy - it is /me/ trying to do something, after all ;)

Got a Grainger here in the City, and they show square u-bolts on their site (ahem, like HD/Lowe's), so I'll try and swing by and see what they have in-store. Worst case, I'll just order them and cut them down. No go on RK, and TSC is a little bit out of my driving range.

Will start with Grainger and go from there - thanks!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Equal dimension ones are indeed rare.
Yeah that is close enough for me - I just keep seeing all of these 4/5/6" ones that would definitely require cutting.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cutting them down might be the least expensive option. You'll get the length you want. Be sure to seal or paint the ends so they don't get too corroded. Use antiseize on the threads too. I checked out some of the square u-bolts at McMaster-Carr, and they too are 2x2-5/8". Maybe we ought to go find that Unicorn.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They can be pricey, but check out McMaster-Carr
I was gonna go with them since I'd gotten my carb shim washers there, but for some reason (can't remember), I couldn't seem to find them on the site. Just tried, found them right away. Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
One more thought, and forgive me, you most likely know this, but rather than assume...

Assemble your project. Make sure it looks like you want it, and then cut off the excess. You'll get the length you want; and if you need to remove the nuts, they will straighten the threads so installing the nuts again is easy.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assemble your project. Make sure it looks like you want it, and then cut off the excess. You'll get the length you want; and if you need to remove the nuts, they will straighten the threads so installing the nuts again is easy.
This was what I was hoping to do. So itching to be able to get groceries without the backpack :)

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Bananachunks, I really don't have a good visual on your project, but I'm just going to throw this out there. Most hardware stores have stock with predrilled holes (sort of like heavy strap hinge) any chance your can just cut that to length and use standard bolts the length you want? In other words, use the predrilled stock to join your two bolts giving you your "U"?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both are great ideas, Borneo - thanks! Whole point of wanting the U's are to limit what attachment bolts are immediately available outside the case. With the U's, the bolts are inside the (locked) case. But yes, the strips and "U washers" were routes I was considering if I floundered for too much longer. But now that I've been shown access to some 2x2(ish) ones I'm good to go!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Your other option is to just have some made. Its actually cheaper than youd think. Shops that sell trailer and axle stuff quite often make them custom. I used a place called six roblees in alaska where i am at for something else. Theres likely somewhee nearby you that does that type of stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had some made at a suspension shop years past. They had a huge supply of straight bolts threaded on both ends. They just pulled out what matched my needs, threw them in a special press and whamo. They were high quality made for attaching leaf springs. Don't remember the price but I don't remember them being that pricey.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm trying to mount my trunk/case to the Yamaha OEM rear rack. Easy, right? Had a spacer made to get it over the rack's upturn, now just to get some square u-bolts and drill some holes!

Is there a better way to go about making the case stick to the OEM rack?
TIA
I think you are one of us that bought the DuraTool cases from MCM Electronics. My '95 has the OEM rack and so far all I've done is sat the case on the rack and thought a little about it but it seems to me that is doesn't interfere with my seating position if I mount the case forward of the raised bar and directly to the base of the rack. I don't do passengers though.

Anyway, I'm playing with different ways to mount it so I can take it on and off easy & quick. I'm not heating my shop right now (need firewood for the house) so mounting the case isn't high priority but some 'off the top of my head' ideas I'll mock up and play with are: using Dzus fasteners, a base with threaded inserts, and the mushroom head type velcro with a safety strap in case of extreme impact situations.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're doing but if you do pursue the square u-bolt idea, and need a unique size, I'd have them custom made. Probably the cheapest place to have that done is a local shop that installs and makes leaf springs on cars and trucks. Some of those locally owned shops still exist and I'm sure they would be very willing to work with you.
*Edit* Oops, I took a long time to post my message and didn't see Trail Warrior's suggestion. Sorry for the duplicate suggestion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts