TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here are a few options I have been considering along with the sti black diamond. The vipr I had been considering would be too large at 27x9r14.

26x9r14

Maxxis Ceros - (Closer treads for street riding)http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/ATV-Utility/MU07-Ceros-Front.aspx $109.99 from rockymountainatvmc.com

Maxxis Bighorn - (Used by many already) http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/ATV-Utility/M917-Bighorn-Radial-Front.aspx

STI Black Diamond - (1 1/8" lug depth) http://www.stitireandwheel.com/2011/06/black-diamond/

ITP Terracross - http://www.itptires.com/utilityatv/terracross.html

26x8r14

Duro Power Grip - http://www.durotire.com/ProductDetails.aspx $87.99 from rockymountainatvmc.com

**I am leaning towards either the duro power grip or the maxxis ceros. It looks like these two will need little to no modification and hold up well on the streets while still giving good performance on/off-road**

This is an image teewee placed in his ceros thread. TerraCross / Ceros / Duro / TW34 (stock) / Bighorn /Zilla

To be continued...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My vote. Stick with the stock back tire. On the east coast I can't see the need. I honestly don't think those atv ties are going to get you anywhere the stock tire won't, and if they do you probably shouldn't be there on a Tdub. :)

With the trouble people have been having getting them on, I feel it's just a matter of time before someone looses a digit or worse. And for what? An extra inch of rubber? I know they look bad ass though.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The newer Duro clearly isn't the same carcass that it useta be. Something has changed.

The Duro has ALWAYS been the most difficult and dangerous to mount.

Retrofit's recent experience would indicate that it might be time to eliminate it from the list.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My vote. Stick with the stock back tire. On the east coast I can't see the need. ...
I agree. Unless you just like the looks.

I have a Cerros sitting in the garage, never tried to mount it. Drive over to Murphy, NC, and it's yours.

For the kind of riding I do (Forest Service roads), the stock tire is fine. When my original stock tire needed to be replaced, I decided to replace it with the same type of tire instead of the Cerros.

jb

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... I have not had any problems with the stock rear(TW34) until I had to run it through some mud and wet clay and it would not grip at all. I would say that 95% of the time ot is a decent tire but those other 5, horrible. I know that there is no do-all tire but I thought that maybe the ceros would be a little better all around.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I know it's not really on topic for the thread and I know if a fellow is thinking about putting an ATV tire on the rear, on-road lean is probably not his highest concern, but I'm curious -- those that have the ATV rear tire, how does it lean in a curve/turn? Or at least how is it compared to the OEM tire?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Handling is "different", depending on how squared off the tread face is.

Slower to lean, but quicker to turn as it climbs its edges due to the quick change in trail.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My vote. Stick with the stock back tire. On the east coast I can't see the need. I honestly don't think those atv ties are going to get you anywhere the stock tire won't, and if they do you probably shouldn't be there on a Tdub. :)

With the trouble people have been having getting them on, I feel it's just a matter of time before someone looses a digit or worse. And for what? An extra inch of rubber? I know they look bad ass though.

I have used many tires on many bike since 1959. I have concluded that the original stock tire is excellent for most terrain. If there is a problem with deep mud, I just avoid it. I am out for a ride not a race so I have time to pick and choose my route.

I actually picked up another stock rear tire for when I wear this one down. I don't think that will be any time soon.

I have changed my front tire to one with much more aggresive tread; it really sticks to the ground in the corners.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
566 Posts
Handling is "different", depending on how squared off the tread face is.

Slower to lean, but quicker to turn as it climbs its edges due to the quick change in trail.
So it does lean, just different and it's something you get used to. OK, thanks, I was curious about that.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I guess I will just stick with the stock rear. I was hoping that one of the atv tires would would share the benefits of the stocker along with adding mud/clay traversal to the options. It seems that I will just have to avoid wet clay at all costs. Thanks for all of your opinions.

·
Registered
395 Posts
not that i have a ton of seat time, and my experience to get it mounted and back on the bike has been a pita, but here are my first impressions of the duro. hated the first 1-3 mph. feels like riding on an English cobblestone road. for the very first ride, i even stopped in the first 5 feet just to see if I forgot to air up the tire or it was installed wrong. once you past that point, it smooths out and rides somewhat like the stock tire. I feel that i need to press harder on the brake to stop, and in the corner it seems to need a tad convincing to lean and turn (also have a new 510 front sooooo not sure which causes this). nothing bad that within the first hour i forgot about, but the first corner was a tad scary. as someone said previously, it wants to go strait (again this might be due to new front too). Went over to the CA DMV lot and ran the bike course without problems. again seemed to need more arm to get thru the cones, but once you get use to it (like any bike) you forget about it. problem there is that most of the course is at cobblestone speed and your ass end of the bike wiggles funny.

in the dirt/sand i felt like the rear tire was ready to take on anything. sand desert/stream beds where before ive had some dig in before, felt like it floated over places that I might have had concerns. (banks, erosion, etc) felt a tad more stable, but as I didnt have lots of seat time before the change, this might also have to do with just getting more comfortable with the bike. (tire changes was due to original 2001 tires that had sun rot/cracks)

for the visual factor, not sure there is a single mod that will attract more attention. more people have asked how in the world this was possable. esp when parking next to a run of the mill duel sport bikes. (between the low seat and the wide tires, it does make some sort of statement) I just explain that it's a not off road crotch rocket, but specially designed for slower trail riding. kinda like a harley fatboy jr for off road crusing, (OFF ROAD CRUISING? WTF?) but some how that makes sense, comment how cool, and tell me they have never hear of such a thing, but love the concept and plan on telling husband or dad.

not sure yet, if I would go thru this again, now that more of the dangers of mounting have been discussed but have had a blast since.... soooo...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a 2013 TW200 last week as a play bike. I have around 70 miles on it now and

like the rear tire for the fire roads and medium to hardpack trails and hill climbs.

I would imagine soft sand and mud might be more of a challenge but I have 2 Husaberg

650s to conquer any and all terrains.

This 200 is fun and different. It puts me in a different mode. Like, slow down have some

fun and tractor over stuff.

2nd gear is the power gear for sure on this bike. I was surprised it pulled me up some

pretty big hills when openned up in second.

I'm keeping the rear and its DOT. I willchange out the front to possibly a Dunlop D606 which

although is not my favorite tire for the Husaberg might be a good tire for the 200 front because

I want to stay DOT approved.

T-Dub (How was I able to get that name with 2,000 members?)

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
T-Dub (How was I able to get that name with 2,000 members?)

[/quote]

Funny you ask... I thought the same thing when I saw that you had signed up with it. Good for you.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
personally i would weight out your on/off road percentages and go from there...if you are on/off 30%/70% or more i would probably look into a more aggressive tire but less than that i think the stocker will do the job...but that's just me...i think my next set will be Shinko SR428s or Bridgestone TW203/204s cause i don't get to play in the dirt as much as you guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
The stock tire is fine (excellent, even) for the first 30% of the tread or so. The only problems I had with it were snow or wet grass/ruts where the knobs just couldn't bite. I went places where other dual sports feared to go.

I now have 11000 KM on my machine and while I still have lots of "street legal tread" (6/32nds, I just checked) the rear tire is mostly useless in any kind of loose terrain. If I was using the machine on-street only, I'm sure I could get another 5000km out of the tire before it was totally shot.

I'm ordering the Power Grip I guess. We will see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't stop thinking about how much I really want to try an atv tire...

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The few times I have used these, rear traction was much improved. Cable chains are 'light', easy to install, and size modifications can be done simply with aluminium cable crimps. As the Admiral has said, though chains are a real plus, now I generally opt to avoid those extreme conditions. As they roll into a pretty 'compact' bundle, they can always be carried during winter, just to be prepared. Gerry

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
PSC,

Cause it gets rather chilly here in the winter, I stay off the paved roads. Yesterday I went on a ride in the desert (no snow this time), and just left my chains on from my snow ride a few days back. I just trailer the TW in the winter months more anyway, so why not leave the chains on. I don't have cable chains like mrgizmow and mine are harder to put on. I have to take the tire off to put the chains on, cuz they're so tight, which is another reason, probably the main reason, why I just leave them on.

However, I'm waiting for a more aggressive TW rear tire that would match the ATV treads. Hope that day comes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts