TW200 Forum banner

Which type of color scheme do you prefer for the TW200?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the TW do you prefer the bold colors of the early models or the more subdued colors of the recent models? I prefer the recent ones. I really like the 05 below.

as opposed to something like this.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I agree, they should re-introduce the 2005 color scheme, it is very classy.

Mine is a 1994:

I didn't care for the Rainbow Warrior color scheme.....

But I guess I really didn't go for subdued color scheme either, was shooting for a retro look...

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
2005 is a great color scheme! like mr bracket, mine too started as a rainbow warrior

and today is this... plus a few more scrapes and dings.

that's another great thing about the t-dub.... you can easily and relatively cheaply mod it to suite your needs and style!

ride on!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Most people would disagree but I really like the color scheme I got. Although, I do really like the infamous "black widows". My friend had a "smurf" bike. Then it turned into this.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I like the older colors but also like the black/silver of '05. Really like mrbrackets yellow/black color scheme and some other theme bikes: zombiestomper and the army looking one with the star on it. Cool to see people come up with their own color schemes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think mrbracket's colors look outstanding. I could never do them though, because it would not look like that for long. The colors on my 95 have got to go. I am thinking of trying flat black Plastidip. ( totally reversible ) You have to be really careful when gassing up, though. Dave

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Found this early pic of mine in Google images (No clue who took it or when. Anyone ever checked Google for their bike pics being posted elsewhere on the 'net? A lot of our bikes are out there.).

If I wasn't such a nutjob about stealth and scarring I'd go loud. Love 'em or hate 'em really clean, intact examples of the Smurf and Barbie years are getting harder to come by. Minus the graphics or with graphics of your own choosing the colors kinda stand out from the herd in a way.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, I personally love subdued colors. Loud colors seem to dominate dirt and dual sport bikes, and I guess it is a safety thing. But still, I don't care for the stock colors of the TWs all that much. But that's just me.

Bart

·
Registered
196 Posts
[quote name='lizrdbrth' date='24 January 2013 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1359056813' post='66367']

Found this early pic of mine in Google images (No clue who took it or when. Anyone ever checked Google for their bike pics being posted elsewhere on the 'net? A lot of our bikes are out there.).

Damn Lizrdbrth, your an internet superstar, You showed up on the first page of a generic "TW200" search! Great pic.

I was surprised to be on Page 5 of the google search,and your right....I noticed alot of bikes from this forum on there.

I like every year of the dub, but love the Black Widow. If I had my way I'd collect em all. Just 24 left to go.....

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yeah, I personally love subdued colors. Loud colors seem to dominate dirt and dual sport bikes, and I guess it is a safety thing. But still, I don't care for the stock colors of the TWs all that much. But that's just me.

Bart

I think eveyone's pretty burned out on recycled "BNG's". I've always thought the Jap and Euro market color schemes would sell a helluva lot more Tw's in this country than their idea of what they THINK we want. I think at this point in history it would set these bikes apart as their own thing, unique and seperate from the "Boy Racer" crowd in the rest of their line.

Some may view this as plain. I prefer to see it as a blank canvas. If I want graphics I'll add my own damned graphics and if I don't my graphic-less bike will stand apart from from the rest of the rolling eye pollution by virtue of its lack thereof.

We're all still victims of the disco days when this crap first started. Prior to then if your logo was any bigger than the tag on a pair of Levi's we considered the clothes "ruined". Now a lot of us willingly pay extra to be "owned" for lack of choice in clothes, cars, bikes and other products which scream things like "TOMMYFREAKIN'HILFIGER'SBANKACCOUNT!","KTM'SSHAREHOLDERS!" or "YAMAHA'SOFFSHOREANDOUTTATOUCHGRAPHICSDUDE!". You'd think they'd be paying YOU to advertise for them, instead of doing it on your dime. Insane.

Old guy rant over."Plain" is the new "awesome" to me:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Subdued by a long shot. The black widows are nice, the '06 is great, and Mr. brackets could be a new standard. Just choose your accent color.

The older graphics make 'em look like kids bikes or "toy" bikes. That was the first thing to go on my '94.

·
Registered
500 Posts
lizrdbrth, I couldn't agree more. I'm a huge fan of less is more. And if want branding, I will make my own. Make my own logo, my own design, customize it to fit me. But I am weirdo and always have been. I don't care what people think of me I just do what I think looks cool.

Just choose your accent color.
Who needs accent colors? Not me!

Bart

·
Registered
18 Posts
my favorite would be the 2003,, i bought a used tank off ebay and im going to paint 2003 silver and i ordered the 2003 tank decals....

·
Registered
73 Posts

[/quote]

I'm curious about this bike. 225? Is this a custom or something new coming out? I like the neked front with the round light and the plastic cut up above the exhaust.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The TW225 was only offered briefly in Japan. But O.E.M. TW200's in Japan and Europe are similar and are sans graphics, with solid-color tanks in some pretty nice colors.

One of the real annoyances with our paint schemes is that the graphics are part of the paint. They're made from some sort of foil-backed reflective material which is sunk into the base color, then cleared. To remove the graphics or do a color change you have to strip the tanks to bare metal and repaint.

I'm surprised Yamaha's bean counters haven't picked up on the fact that their cheesy (IMO) graphics versions prolly cost more to produce.

·
Registered
500 Posts
One of the real annoyances with our paint schemes is that the graphics are part of the paint. They're made from some sort of foil-backed reflective material which is sunken into the base color, then cleared. To remove the graphics you have to strip the tanks to bare metal and repaint.

I sandblasted my tank before I painted it. It took like 2 hours to blast it all, that stuff is on there GOOD. And what's crazy is, after I painted the tank, I noticed there was still a faint ring that you can actually see if you look closely where the Yamaha emblem was. I don't understand how that is possible, except maybe the emblem is like pressed on hard at the factory, so much so that it slightly indents a ring in the metal!!

Bart

1 - 20 of 36 Posts