TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow TW brothers, I have come to you guys to ask a question. I have a GoPro 3 hero and a cube. Which are the best mounts? What are the best locations for helmet and bike? What are advantages and disadvantages? Thanks Mark

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
I have experimented with several different mounting locations with different brands of camera's. I have always had success with a helmet mount, side or top. I have also mounted the camera's to the motorcycle and but experience a vibration showing in the video. Sometimes bad and sometimes ok. Editing will be your friend on this! The sound wasn't as good when mounted on the motorcycle either as compared to the helmet mount. Mounting in front of the cowling or on a front cyclerack as Smitty Blackstone mentions could mitigate the sound issues.

I have also experimented with a chest mount and didn't care for it that much as I got a screen full of handlebar and instruments blocking the view of the trail. Some people like to see others speedometer's and handlebar action so opinions could vary on this. Also, I move around too much for a chest mount (worse than the helmet mount).

I like the helmet mounts the best for greater field and variety of views offered. One has to physically move the camera for different views when using chest, motorcycle & helmet mounts. All mounting have their place, though.

Experiment and find what you like.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I agree with the Admiral. My videos from the bike mount are almost unwatchable due to vibration. I liked the top mounted helmet mount but it can be an issue at speed and also interfere if you have a modular helmet. The side mount helmet mount is what I recently switched to and seems to work well for me.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I have the top mount on my helmet and a chest mount. The chest mount works the best for me. I have to keep it high on my chest or you get vids of mostly the "dashboard". The helmet mount works pretty good off road if there isn't too many low branches to snag it. On road it does tend to tip the helmet back at speed. Also tried mounting it on the lower fork tube for a different perspective. That work OK on the smooth sections but the audio picked up a lot of noise from engine vibrations.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Are there steady-cam mounts for GoPro? Has anyone tried to make them?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I find the chin mount to be the best location, although it is usually a custom install situation.

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Very good video tips in those two videos.
My preffered mounts are under the visor and at the chin, both done so that no helmet shows. Both entailed simple custom fabricated mounts for a Contour camera.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I forgot to link the chin mount video by the same fellow.
I found it, watched it again, and then ordered a chin mount.
When I first saw the video I thought "I can make one of those easy".
But I haven't gotten around to it and I know everything takes me so much longer to do than I think possible, so I spent the money and ordered one.

Here's the Proshot video by Crosstraining:

[/video]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Let's take a step back... what do you intend to use the go pro for?

If intent is to record some awesome clips of dual sport adventures, I think the other posts cover the different options pretty well.

I use a go pro for street riding. No, I don't pop wheelies on the way to work or take in any cool sights. I use it so I have evidence if an when an accident occurs, to me or to anyone around me. Videos don't lie, but people do.

For that reason, I go with a helmet mount. I want the go pro to see exactly what I see when I turn my head, not what the front of my bike sees. I mount on the top of my helmet. I've heard potential concerns over side helmet mounts because of the leverage it will have to twist your head if you wipe out on that side. I don't know of any case studies or data to back up that concern though. Up to you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! I knew you guys would be a wealth of information. Thank you! I will check out the videos and once again learn from everyone. Thanks again. Mark.

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Or supplement camera perspectives with drone accompaniment. Here is a pricey but really sweet 4K resolution example of a modern recreational drone. Safer ducted blades,portable, easy operation, hi resolution very nice.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Or supplement camera perspectives with drone accompaniment. Here is a pricey but really sweet 4K resolution example of a modern recreational drone. Safer ducted blades,portable, easy operation, hi resolution very nice.
Wow, that is cool, Fred! It is very similar to the Lily that I had been eyeing. I really like the tracking and simplistic controls. I think something like this would be so cool for Moab, but they are both pre-order...which I think means, we have a great product in mind, but we need your money now to develop it. They can't seem to get the tech to work just right yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agreed with cpit, I use the top helmet mount. I want the Gopro to see what I am looking at. I use mine more to record odd or crazy things I see when riding so someone beleives me when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I agreed with cpit, I use the top helmet mount. I want the Gopro to see what I am looking at. I use mine more to record odd or crazy things I see when riding so someone beleives me when I get home.
X2! Me2

·
Registered
322 Posts
DJI is a top drone manufacturer. Their phantom line has been out a few years and the new mavic pro looks to be a good choice for a compact drone with very good features. It's not inexpensive but it has entry level professional features at a much lower cost.
The drone consumer market is still very new and changes and advancements happen often.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts