TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone suggest my best option for hand guards. I see in these forums some brands have to be altered to fit a stock TW200, and I want no part of that. I picked up my new toy yesterday, a 2008 model with 1074 miles. I think she is sweet!

Waiting to here from Jimbo to order a dark shield. Also getting a rear rack from CycleRacks, and a Cortech magnetic tank bag. Open to any suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have these Tusk D-Flex. They fit great with no problems.

Do a search of the forum and you'll find many others.

Of course you WILL have to modify your handlebars/grips to accept the hand guards. You'll have to cut the end off of your grips and saw off the end of your throttle tube.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy mackerel...I just got home with the bike 3 hours ago...I don't want to cut or saw anything! Is that the way all guards work?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Holy mackerel...I just got home with the bike 3 hours ago...I don't want to cut or saw anything! Is that the way all guards work?

There are hand guards that have a solid aluminum piece that attaches near the crossbar and then on the end of the handlebar. That type will protect your hands and levers from a fall or a hit with a branch.

There is another type, kind of like wind deflectors that won't really protect your hands from a fall, but they will deflect small twigs. This type shouldn't require any cutting. Check these out

I've never tried them, so I can't comment on their quality.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I know the feeling of not wanting to cut parts but it is worth it in the end. If you plan to ride your bike off road at all I would suggest getting full wraps. If you only ride street you can get away with the deflectors. I also have the d-flex and they have saved my hands and levers on several occasions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live near a Yamaha dealer...I assume they will know, although I was looking at their new machine and ended up buying used from an individual. They may tell me to ask him!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the feeling of not wanting to cut parts but it is worth it in the end. If you plan to ride your bike off road at all I would suggest getting full wraps. If you only ride street you can get away with the deflectors. I also have the d-flex and they have saved my hands and levers on several occasions.

Off road for me...I don't plan to even license the bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found this on youtube...not mechanically minded, but I think I can swing this. Like the guard as well.

Not allowing me to post link??? Anyway it is on you tube...

Barkbuster Handguard Istallation

·
Registered
326 Posts
Look at it this way, if you cut the throttle body tube (which is absolutely nothing) and decide you want to change back, a new one is $8. You can use a razor knife to cut the tube. Go with the best guards if your going to stay offroad with it. JMHO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look at it this way, if you cut the throttle body tube (which is absolutely nothing) and decide you want to change back, a new one is $8. You can use a razor knife to cut the tube. Go with the best guards if your going to stay offroad with it. JMHO.

Which guards do you like best?

·
Registered
326 Posts
On my long list of mods, right behind seat concepts. Tusk D-Flex's seem to be the most popular, look great, and from what I've read has good functionality as well. A little nip/tuck on the grips and tube would be no problem.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hey guys, I ordered the Emgo pro-guards. I went to do the install today starting with the throttle side, and I couldn't get it to fit. The front brake lever wouldn't fit inside. I don't think that I should be riding the short bus, but others said they use these...what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Another vote for the Emgo hand guards

1 - 20 of 42 Posts