TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My homemade hitch hauler is starting to sag. Wanting to get a lighter one that holds up, it either is on my truck or 5th wheel. Here is what I am looking at:

Black Widow AMC-400

or

Harbor Freight

it will not let me post links

with discounts the cost is similar, or what else is out there. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
Don’t know how much your homemade weighs so can’t evaluate what constitutes a “lighter” replacement. However the commercial steel units are not much heavier than the commercial aluminum options and usually cheaper for comparable strength. Another way of looking at it is the two ramps OP listed both lack the security and convenience of two tie down points in the front as as well as two tie down points in the rear that Lugnut’s listed steel ramp. The centerline tie-down points that ramps like the Harbor Freight unit feature make adequately securing he motorcycle difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my homemade was a utility hauler that I put a heavier tube under and welded a piece of 8" light channel on for the bike to ride on has done well but starting to sag, afraid if I add some angle to beef up it will be extremely heavy, a 60 year old man has a job putting on.... I am guessing 80 lbs.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I use the same hauler as Lugnut uses. I did not like the welded tie down points so I replaced them with eye bolts. I also use a anti wobble device and I haul my TW with confidence. I also added dot approved led lights. Fred knows how well those work.

Joemama

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
Joe installed a pair of LED light bars on the hitch carrier’s frame that really catch one’s eye. No way I was going to miss Joe braking and thus run into him. Something like this, maybe not so cool since LED technology and products seem to advance at at fast rate.imgres

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a Black Widow AMC-400 . I have used it 3 times, the first time was for almost a hundred miles to pick up the TW. Second time to take the TW to the DMV for registration, and a third to retrieve the TW from a walk out of the woods (broken chain).

The anti-Rattle clamp feature requires locknuts and nuts to keep it secure, the included bolts don't stay tight and loosen up. It weighs about 40 pounds overall. It is aluminum, except for the stinger assembly. The ramp and wheel ladder is aluminum. Easy on/off , my 2 inch receiver tube is 14 inches from the ground (bottom of tube).

I also installed a cheap trailer light kit onto it, because the TW does block almost all tail lights on my SUV. Safety first. It took a few hours to install.

The wingnuts that hold the ramp onto the side of the carrier SUCK. I going to replace them with some large hand knobs and lock washers instead sooner or later. The wingnuts are painful to loosen and tighten, they are really too small.

But, all said, I would buy it again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
This is the one I got tp use on my motorhome - drove over 11,000 miles this summer across USA - no issues. Very easy on and off

Hitch-Mounted Steel Motorcycle Carrier Rack with Ramp 600 lb Capacity | eBay
I like that wheel chock. It's a balancing act to tie down the TW while keeping it from tipping into the SUV or off the back working alone. I think the only downside on your rack is that you have to roll it back the same way you put it on?? Not sure by the picture.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
I like that wheel chock. It's a balancing act to tie down the TW while keeping it from tipping into the SUV or off the back working alone. I think the only downside on your rack is that you have to roll it back the same way you put it on?? Not sure by the picture.
Yes you do have to back it off - not difficult tho - the edges of the ramp are tall and make it easy to keep on track - it's heavy duty, has stainless wing nuts and bolts along with cotter type reusable pins to fasten down the ramp - also has 2 holes in the carrier and 2 steel dowels (on the ramp) to solidly attach the ramp to the carrier for loading/unloading. I put the bike on and off alone all the time.

BUt.......Had I seen the carrier that Maxpower linked us to - I may have gone that route. Very cool set up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
And heavy!! Is it really 89 pounds or is that boxed shipped weight? Too heavy for me. I grunt lifting my 50 pound WD hitch into my receiver. Always lift with the knees!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Yes, it is good. In fact great. You see a lot of these on the backs of big RV's. For my small & short framed Jeep Wrangler it's fine with a TW. But we have hauled a couple 500+ lb. Sport Bikes behind my friends big GMC Van. No tilt, no bends, no rattles. When set correctly it becomes an extension of your vehicles frame. Really the final word in carriers. I have the 500lb version. There is a 600lb as well.

Negative 1: expensive at $500.00 but no regrets, never going to wear-out. Very high quality, the welds are perfect and it's fully powder coated. Made In USA
Negative 2: pretty darn heavy at around 80+lbs but due to its massive channeling... that's the point. Can't think of anything more durable and beefier on the market.
Negative 3: You will need to add the lighting kit that sells separate for about $50.00. Bike (any bike) will block your turn signals. Guess you could say that about any carrier?

You don't need to consider buying one of these if you are only going to use it for a TW. Ridiculously overkill for a dirt bike or little 200cc dual sport.
But if you have other real motorcycles and no trailer... this is the hands-down final answer.

I bought mine from Discount Ramps. Dealer wanted $150.00 more mark-up.

Notice that the hitch channel is open at the back end. This carrier is rated to basically be a trailer hitch extender. You can pull a trailer behind it no problem though I can't or wouldn't with a little Wrangler.
IMG_4742.JPG

I have tire straps on each wheel. Also a foot-peg strap (not pictured). Really helps with the bouncing when I'm off-road driving the Jeep to a campsite.
IMG_4743.JPG

You can slide the carrier forward and back depending on which bike I'm hauling. For the little TW I have it set so the bike barely leans into the Jeeps spare tire. Helps with stability but doesn't have to. Just like it that way.
IMG_4746.jpg

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes, it is good. In fact great. You see a lot of these on the backs of big RV's. For my small & short framed Jeep Wrangler it's fine with a TW. But we have hauled a couple 500+ lb. Sport Bikes behind my friends big GMC Van. No tilt, no bends, no rattles. When set correctly it becomes an extension of your vehicles frame. Really the final word in carriers. I have the 500lb version. There is a 600lb as well.

Negative 1: expensive at $500.00 but no regrets, never going to wear-out. Very high quality, the welds are perfect and it's fully powder coated. Made In USA
Negative 2: pretty darn heavy at around 80+lbs but due to its massive channeling... that's the point. Can't think of anything more durable and beefier on the market.
Negative 3: You will need to add the lighting kit that sells separate for about $50.00. Bike (any bike) will block your turn signals. Guess you could say that about any carrier?

You don't need to consider buying one of these if you are only going to use it for a TW. Ridiculously overkill for a dirt bike or little 200cc dual sport.
But if you have other real motorcycles and no trailer... this is the hands-down final answer.

I bought mine from Discount Ramps. Dealer wanted $150.00 more mark-up.

Notice that the hitch channel is open at the back end. This carrier is rated to basically be a trailer hitch extender. You can pull a trailer behind it no problem though I can't or wouldn't with a little Wrangler.
View attachment 123713

I have tire straps on each wheel. Also a foot-peg strap (not pictured). Really helps with the bouncing when I'm off-road driving the Jeep to a campsite.
View attachment 123721

You can slide the carrier forward and back depending on which bike I'm hauling. For the little TW I have it set so the bike barely leans into the Jeeps spare tire. Helps with stability but doesn't have to. Just like it that way.
View attachment 123729
I have one of these too. It is so heavy that I like to get help installing it.
It is incredibly solid and great quality. I have the steel ramp for loading and unloading as well.
I had a Landcruiser (actually the Lexus version) and this was too heavy with the TW for the stock suspension set-up.
Works great on the Dodge truck.
The best use for this is as a hitch extension with a trailer. You can carry your bike and load and unload without unhitching the trailer, and you don't have to worry that the bike is blocking your lights (since the trailer is in back).

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have been using ultimate mx hauler with tw200 for awhile now. the jack does not go low enough to easily get the tw200 onto it. not a huge deal but something to be aware of. you either need to back up somewhere so that the bike is raised and you can easily get it onto the jack or you will have to man handle it. also, the way the ultimate mx hauler is designed does not allow for the pegs that go through the tw200 foot pegs to work with stock pegs. i upgraded to krator aftermarket ones and while it worked i had to grind out part of the foot peg to make it easy for the ultimate mx hauler pegs to be aligned. after the modifications and being aware of problems loading/unloading the carrier itself has worked well and i've driven a few thousand miles with it on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Someone just gave me a Black Widow dual bike carrier which is rated for 600lb. I cut off the rear position to make it a single. Seems to work great except for the flimsy loading ramp. The rear tire climbs on the side rail and causes it to twist out of shape. Anyone have experience with these?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts