TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2013 with 109 miles on it. It is stock and I want to ad a rear rack that doesn't interfere with riding a passenger at times. Which rear rack do you recommend and why? Also is there a simple way to cary a small tool kit?

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

First thing; go change the oil in that bike; and clean and reuse the filter.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I've been doing allot of research on oil lately. Yes I know this is a never ending discussion but LUCAS semi-synthetic racing oil is what i'm looking closely at these days. Think Zinc and the correct types and quantities.

Depends...

Regular Yamaha oil...

Or I use Mobil One 4T Racing oil in 10-40 weight.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
656 Posts
DSCN0418.JPG DSCN0431.JPG DSCN0709.JPG Ahum... Getting back to racks. The Cyclerack won't work well with passengers. You probably want the stock Yamaha version or one of their knockoffs. I use a very small "Bikini" rack on mine which is OK if you just want to have a small bag on it. I have removed the passenger footpegs so I don't have your problem. Photos with my bike with various rack configurations.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Boooo...Hissss......Grumble......:p

Mobil 1... 4T oil.

'nuff said :D
I absolutely disagree with you on this for our TW engine type specifically, I'm not knocking 4t for others it's good, just not as good. Mobil1 has much less of the good stuff in their racing mix than Lucas has in their racing mix. (research it). End of day both are fine if changed enough but after seeing the microscopic results I'm leaning towards Lucas racing 20/50 for summer heat and running sand roads. Not because it's branded Lucas but because this particular mix of theirs is particularly tasty..

Back to oiled racks, sounds like more fun anyway.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
View attachment 31119 View attachment 31120 View attachment 31121 Ahum... Getting back to racks. The Cyclerack won't work well with passengers. You probably want the stock Yamaha version or one of their knockoffs. I use a very small "Bikini" rack on mine which is OK if you just want to have a small bag on it. I have removed the passenger footpegs so I don't have your problem. Photos with my bike with various rack configurations.
How do you enjoy that windshield?

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just picked up a 2013 with 109 miles on it. It is stock and I want to ad a rear rack that doesn't interfere with riding a passenger at times. Which rear rack do you recommend and why? Also is there a simple way to carry a small tool kit?
Hi Jeff. Check out Manracks and Happy Trails racks. Cycleracks seem to be the most popular among forum members but these are well-liked too. Manracks are the smallest of the three, and reasonably strong.
You should find a tool kit under the right side panel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum and a new owner of a 07 TW. I do want to put on a rear rack but I was wondering about the cyclerack and a passenger. You answered my question. I do want enough room for some kind of bag for a trip to the market or such. Don't really plan on any heavy camping trips. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jduncan, Thanks for posting about this as I haven't decided on a rack yet either. So the manufactured racks are designed to keep the passenger area open and the issue with lesser racks is that they are not strong enough and put too much weight on the sub frame? What about having a rack that does use some of the passenger area and lets the weight come forward instead of being so far back? The farther forward it would come, the less leverage there would be. I'll have to sit on mine tomorrow and size things up.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I do think there are better racks out there than the Cycle Rack.

Reactions: Kasky

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have a cyclerack on my 2004. Its big and tough. I don't have any problems taking a passenger with it on there. Mine has the hump in the back which I like sometimes and dislike sometimes. Given the choice I would get the humpless model. There have been people that report getting a leg pinned under that rack in a tipover. The trouble with most of the smaller racks is that they mount to the single loop an the subframe which limits their weight capacity.
IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0461.jpg

For My 1987 I made my one out of electrical conduit. I look at it as more of a prototype at this point.
0303161556.jpg

more about that project here.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/19920-homemaade-rack-my1987.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for posting those pics Sponge. I'll never have a passenger on it. I like the smaller rack that you built so maybe I'll build something similar. I plan on having soft bags or a backpack tied down. I need to carry basic tools, water, tubes and tire repair stuff. Do have many flats in Nevada? We camped at snowbird mesa last winter near Overton Nv.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks for posting those pics Sponge. I'll never have a passenger on it. I like the smaller rack that you built so maybe I'll build something similar. I plan on having soft bags or a backpack tied down. I need to carry basic tools, water, tubes and tire repair stuff. Do have many flats in Nevada? We camped at snowbird mesa last winter near Overton Nv.
I wanted something that I could put a backpack, few books, maybe lunch and some gas for longer trips. Not really looking for the touring rack. So I hope for about 30 lbs carry weight.
I know snowbird mesa, I met a couple TW riders down in Overton, nice guys. If you get this way again let us know.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
976 Posts
I had a Cyclerack on my TW, it broke. They sent me a replacement, but if I had been in the middle of a trip at the time that would have been cold comfort.

I had a Happy Trail SU rack on my KLR, it never broke. If I had it to do again, I would get the Happy Trail SU for the TW too. Not breaking is a big plus in my book.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts