TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you that have used street tires, which do you prefer, the Shinkos or Bridgestones? I want to order a set this winter, but I am not sure which ones to get. I have done a forum search and there is not that much info. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I've got the 203/204 combo and like them very much. Smoother than stock and they stick very well on pavement and you can still do some off-roading on them. Just don't try sand or thick mud.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see the Shinkos are a little cheaper, I was wondering how the two compare. Thanks for the input I like the look of the bridgestones.

·
Registered
236 Posts
There's a set of bridgestones for sale in classifieds. I'd jump on that.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've been running the Shinko's for over 5000 miles now. Haven't had any issues with loss of traction/grip in any condition. That being said, I tend to go around the big soupy mud puddles.

just after our last adventure we inspected for tire wear.

Fully loaded panniers, 20psi. Not even halfway to the wear-bars!

even cats don't phase 'em! TIM

·
Registered
503 Posts
one more thing I failed to mention. During break-in, you will want to take it real easy on the corners. Until the release agent wears off, they are a bit slippery.

also, want to point out that there is no tread 'edge'. Which means that while laying the bike over in cornering, you'll have 100% grip, right up to the point that you have zero grip. TIM

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
During break-in, you will want to take it real easy on the corners. Until the release agent wears off, they are a bit slippery.
good advice right there for all tires...i've heard of people lightly sanding their tires to remove it but that's no fun ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah pay more for something that doesn't last as long. I've had the Shinkos for 4000+ now. Great tires.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
i would like to see a review comparison between the 2 sets of tires but that will never happen...it all comes down to wear time and money...a set of the bridgestones cost what $40 more?...do they last a substantial amount longer than the shinkos before you're next tire change? if so then maybe that $40 is worth it...will they stick better and save you on a turn? (they would def worth it in this case, body and bike repairs are expensive)...do they instill confidence? maybe the $40 is worth it...which set vibes more?...which tread pattern will shed water/mud faster?...tires are either sticky and don't last as long or less sticky and last longer...take your pick cause you can't have both...performance or wear...since there is no real comparison for these tires we can't really say one is better than the other...but we are talking about a TW and it is only $40 so i am betting either set will be just fine and not break the bank...i buy my tires here...they seem to be pretty reasonable...

front
130/80-18 - American Motorcycle Tire
rear
180/80-14 - American Motorcycle Tire

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
The Stones let me feather them to the edges on the Dragon with no wiggles or sudden slides. As an old road racer I like tires with good feed back. Now as far as tread life? I don't know but after 3K miles they look all most new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts