TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a complete tool set for the garage. I've already got a roll away, middle box, and top box.

I've got torque wrenches, combo wrenches in both metric and standard, in both 12 point and 6 point versions.

I've got vice grips, plyers and cutters.

I've got 6 point sockets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive in both standard and deep, in both SAE and Metric.

My question is, what to purchase next? should I add more open/open wrenches? box/box wrenches?

Ratcheting wrenches? Or purchase 12 point sockets to match all my 6 point sockets?

I was always under the belief that 6 point sockets or wrenches were better than 12 point ones?

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

Igogar

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
make sure you have the jis (japanese industrial standard) screw drivers. The sharper points of the American versions don't perform well with screws that are overly tight or long seated by varnish, heat, and ??.

I'd also recommend a good set of calipers to allow you to determine bolt size, thread pitch, and other critical measurements that confound those who ignore subtle differences that confound reliability. There is not replacement for having 2 box wrenches of every size and at least one long and one short open end of every size. Mind you I don't have all these things but often wish I did. My collection of wrenches is often augmented by what is lying beside the road. I have more 10 mm sockets that I could use if I were making necklaces. Tom

·
Registered
918 Posts
x2 on the caliper.

Ball end allens?

Crow's foot sockets? I don't use them often but they come in handy when I need them.

Tap and Die set? Can help clean threads as well as determine thread size.

Digital multimeter?

Magnetic pickup tool? Nice when hands are too big to fit into the spot the nut always falls into.

Metal files?

Cutting fluid for when drilling holes?

Flux capacitor?

I like 6 points because the corroded nuts and bolts usually strip with 12 points. Sometimes it just takes a hammer to get them to seat over the corrosion/dirt.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have this lift and like it, although I did add a square 1/2inch piece of plywood across the arms: 1500lb Motorcycle Lift

You listed way more tools than I have. I'm gonna watch this thread to see what tools I need to be buying!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Can anyone recommend a torque wrench to buy?
I have a Norbar torque wrench that is very nice quality. It has a capacity from 5 to 40 pounds and is ideal for motorbikes. And a big Britool one for really tight stuff, again good quality but expensive.

My advice for anyone looking to add to their toolbox is buy the best you can afford as and when you need them. Quality tools will last a life time and are a pleasure to use.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I have two Craftsman "click type" torque wrenches. One in foot pounds, 20 to 160, and one in inch pounds, 25 to 250. I have had several others but ended up giving them away because they were just taking up space.

Good tools last a life time plus. Crappy tools will literally fall apart in your hands while you use them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've lived my life basically as a mechanic, although not necessarily as an auto or motorcycle mechanic. I have a lot of tools, however when it comes to buying more than just the basic set of tools, I only buy specialty tools when they can pay for themselves on their first use. I have bought tools that I have only used once, then never again. Using that reasoning, I paid for an oxy/actyl set on it's first use, then went on to use it all of the time. I also have a set of line wrenches, some of which I have never used. It just depends on how much spare change you have. I once was helping my wife strip some wall paper from one of her customers house and the Guy that lived there had the best set of tools I had ever seen. All of them in the top of the line Craftsman Tool box(the giant rollaway, top boxes, etc). He needed something done to his $9000 John Deere yard tractor but didn't know how to do it so he asked me to. He was so excited, This was the first time that any of his tools had ever been used. I still laugh about that whenever something like this reminds me about it.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Gear Wrenches.

Flex Gear Wrenches.

T-handle screwdrivers.

T-handle nut drivers.

1/4 and 3/8 T-handle drivers.

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't resist posting the "crescenthammer".
Probably better suited to have with you while riding, rather than in the shop.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I very useful tool in my hobby tool-set is a Hand Impact Driver:

LINK

I don't think it has been mentioned (maybe because it is pretty obvious) but an Air Compressor is invaluable in the garage.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
+1 on the hand impact. I have a 1/2-inch drive Craftsman and a 3/8-inch drive Snap-On. Both work well, but the Snap-On feels much better in the hand. Don't even think about using regular screwdriver bits--buy a couple extra impact bits.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I can't believe that no one has mentioned a beer bottle opener..... jeeze.

Seriously, I think there's been great ideas. I also reach for the dental pic's pretty regularly when cleaning, or fishing a dropped piece.

As I age, I really appreciate good lighting and enhanced vision. I know Querty wont ride with me now that this secret is out, but I really like a good headlamp for lighting things up.

Also I find a good selection of fasteners on hand is awsome. Not sure it's a tool, but we live 35 miles from town, so it's nice having a selection of bolts, screws, rivets and all the washers/nuts to match.

Second on the bike life too! Best garage money I've ever spent.

Bag

·
Registered
404 Posts
+1 on the Deep Sockets (Try to find the thin walled ones) and Lift!

I know their quality is not the best and if I was setting up a professional garage I would probably try to get all Snap-On, but on a budget, harborfreight.com is really inexpensive. I bought the motorcycle lift from them last November when they had it on sale for $250. I also bought their wheel chocks:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts