1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 2 for sale near my area.
1991 with 1438km on it. asking $3200
2006 with 14500km on it asking $3000

Comparing the write ups on the 2 it sounds like the older bike is better cosmetically. I have't contacted either owner yet. Without talking to the owners I don't know if perhaps the 1991 has been sitting around with old gas. The write up sounds like the 2006 has all pavement kms.

Thanks for any advice.
Gerry

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Sorry Badger, but they both seem seriously overpriced to me. In my opinion (at least here in California), $1,200 would be about tops for a '91, and maybe $2,000 for an '06, both depending upon their condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply TW-Brian.

Unfortunately I'm in Canada and most everything is more expensive here. I would look into importing one from Washington State or even Oregon but I live up the coast in BC and logistically it is very difficult to travel across the border, check out a bike, hoping it hasn't sold in the meantime. Making an offer and then going through all the hoops at customs.

Gerry

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Gerry, I do realize that things are a bit different in Canada, but I agree, way over priced. I just paid 2900 for a 2011 with 63 original miles. I actually thought I might have over paid. There is a dealer in Ohio who sells them out the door (2014) for 4200.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd lean towards the '91 due to the miles, but it would be best to check both out. Bonus points use the price of the newer one to justify a lower offer on the '91. Good luck.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the newer one with higher miles if it was maintained correctly. I would check both out and see what condition they are in. Maybe test drive them and see if one stands out as a better ride. There can be a big difference between a bike with low miles that has sat for years acquiring condensation in the tank and crankcase vs a bike that has been ridden regularly and has been taken care of. Don't be afraid to offer a bit less depending on what you find seeing them in person. Look at the chain, sprockets, tires, rust in the tank etc... when negotiating price. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Wow Badger! I am very partial to the 91 TW because I have one with just 800 miles and in showroom condition. I doubt very seriously that I could sell it for $3200 and I have over $1500 in new parts and add on accessories on it. Heck, I can buy a brand new one right now for around $800 more.

The 91 will have a kicker and the 2006 won't but it will have a disc brake up front.

You asked which one should you buy and my answer has to be neither, keep looking for one from an owner who is not out of his mind or a bit closer to earth.

GaryL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My first instinct is to wait for the 2014 to be delivered to my local dealer but the price is $4999 plus $300 pdi plus 12% tax.
Total just under $6000.

Gerry

·
Registered
46 Posts

the 91 is way too expensive in my opinion, here in Quebec I paid mine $ 1400 with 8000 km, a 2006 should sell around $ 2500

look at this one on kijiji quebec it gives an idea of the price on the other side of the country

TW200 2006 | street, cruisers, choppers | Gaspé | Kijiji

Yamaha TW200 only 2700 km runs very well! there is no repair to do! $ 2,000 for more info call 361-3812 to ask for bertrand .... photos have been taken this fall, do not rely on the date ...

• [*=center]

Date Listed07-Jan-14
Last Edited18-Jan-14
Price$2,000.00
Address18 Avenue Baird, Gaspé, QC G0E, Canada

View map
[HR][/HR]
MakeYamaha
ModelOther
For Sale ByOwner
Engine Displacement (cc)200
Kilometers2700
Year2006
[HR][/HR]

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
The 2006 will have a higher wattage electrical system output if adding elec. accessories is important to you like a heated grips, vest, or additional lighting.
The 1991 will have a kickstarter for starting redundancy.
I like Leben's recomendation for checking out both machines.
Whichever of three decades you choose you should be pleased.
Imagine seriously comparing any other vehicle model spanning so many years as our TWs?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Go look at this thread. http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/8813-who-really-wants-super-tw.html

This is my 1991 and was after last summers riding season here in NY. It is not for sale now as the season is approaching and I have added fresh tires, tubes and X ring chain.

Just so you know what a real nice and highly decorated 1991 TW is worth, the best offer I got was $2300 at that time.

GaryL

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice bike GaryL.

There are a lot of posts saying the bikes are overpriced. I tend to agree, but I also live in an area where I can pick up a TW at a reasonable price since they are not uncommon. I am not familiar with the market in Canada. When I first got into Rokons a decade or so ago there were none for sale in my area. I had to travel several states away to purchase mine. My point is if there are limited options available you either have to be willing to travel to get a better deal or try to negotiate with the ones for sale locally. It is hard for me to say what a good price is in your area. Good luck with your TW search!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts