TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is over and we are trying to adjust the chain, but the back nut is frozen on. Any hints? It is left to loosen, correct?

It looks like there is a black metal ring around the bolt inside the nut.?

Thank you!

·
Registered
428 Posts
dont just put a bunch of muscle into it. on my TW the nut dont have much to grab onto and you dont want to round it off. DONT USE A ADJUSTABLE WRENCH! if its that tight use some WD40 and wait for it to come free.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys!

What a crappy day, my dad is good guy but he was worried about breaking something so we didn't adjust the chain or change the oil. It is good that we didn't snap anything. The bike is a 2007 and I don't think the oil has been changed once, and the chain has at least 4 inches of slack! We used some WD40 and lightly bumped/hammered (using the dog bone wrench in the bike kit) the two bolt and both wouldn't nudge.

Cleaning the oil filter was a snap.

So I am going to take it to the dealer. I am just bummed that the scheduled manly afternoon was a washout.

Anyone know a good place in Baltimore? I have read horror stories about Pete's.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thank you guys!

What a crappy day, my dad is good guy but he was worried about breaking something so we didn't adjust the chain or change the oil. It is good that we didn't snap anything. The bike is a 2007 and I don't think the oil has been changed once, and the chain has at least 4 inches of slack! We used some WD40 and lightly bumped/hammered (using the dog bone wrench in the bike kit) the two bolt and both wouldn't nudge.

Cleaning the oil filter was a snap.

So I am going to take it to the dealer. I am just bummed that the scheduled manly afternoon was a washout.

Anyone know a good place in Baltimore? I have read horror stories about Pete's.

Let the WD soak in. Apply it a couple times a day for a couple days and try again. Use the correct tools (NOT the dog bone wrench) and you can put muscle into it (I'll repeat, 6-point sockets). It's been in that same position for quite some time if you have 4 inches of slack and will take some work to break it loose.

If you don't mind spending the money, take it to the dealer. But I'd recommend getting the proper tools and doing it yourself. Why? Because you will need a new chain by the sounds of it and therefore new sprockets as well. Changing that stuff out yourself gives you a better understanding of your bike and how it works.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Don't bum out; give it the WD-40 or equal, take it to your friendly tire shop and have them get on it with a pneumatic metric wrench. Loosen it down to where you can take over. Go home and finish it.

Sounds pretty bad- any chance there is a piece of cott6er- pin in it or some such?

Might have an extra axle. ---GB

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I use a 1/2" impact wrench every time. Super easy and makes adjusting the chain a 2 minute job. I picked mine up at autozone for around $60.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Is there a cotter pin or parts thereof in the axle hole?

·
Registered
428 Posts
this is gonna sound CRAZY but it was proved to me that it really works. i seen it with my own two eyes. my neighbor is one of those old guys who tinkers with stuff in his retired years. right now he has an old rusted to shit chevy hydra matic 100 pickup truck as a project. a truck that old has several nuts and bolts that just wont budge, or will they? after work today i went over cause i heard him throwing wrenchs around and i saw him squirting baitmate fish attractant on a few nuts. like i said its sounds crazy but after just an hour and half that darn nut came free like it was new. it taught me to shut up and listen to those old ass dudes in there eighties. baitmate is the same oil as WD40 but much more concentrated. he told me to find the baitmate that does not have glitter in it.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
WD40 Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredient

CAS #

Weight Percent

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon

64742-47-8 (mineral spirits)

45-50%

Petroleum Base Oil

64742-58-1 (hydrogenated paraffin)

64742-53-6 (naptha)

64742-56-9 (dewaxed paraffin)

64742-65-0 (dewaxed paraffin)

<25%

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon

64742-47-8 (deoderized kerosene)

12-18%

Carbon Dioxide

124-38-9

2-3%

Surfactant

Proprietary (soap)

<2%

Non-Hazardous Ingredients

Mixture

<10%

Nothing magic about WD40. Kerosene and mineral spirits do the penetrating. Mix your own super duty penetrant 1 part kerosene, 3 parts mineral spirits, 1 cap dish soap per gallon. Stir well.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Ceramite:

Don't use box end wrenches or cresent (adjustable) wrenches. Get some good sockets (6point) and a breaker bar. Make sure there isn't a reason the nut won't come off (like a cotterpin in it). If you have access to airtools, you can use an impact gun but if you don't have a socket set, I'm suspecting you don't have an impact gun....

WD40 is okay. I prefer penetrating oil.

The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil ...... Average load .. Price per fluid ounce

None ................. 516 pounds .

WD-40 ................ 238 pounds .. $0.25

PB Blaster ........... 214 pounds .. $0.35

Liquid Wrench ........ 127 pounds .. $0.21

Kano Kroil ........... 106 pounds .. $0.75

ATF-Acetone mix........ 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts