TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The UPS truck is supposed to deliver my new hobby lathe today so tht I can get on with building nefarious toys. I do not know what time he will be here so I must wait.

Here are some photos I snapped the other day while out poodling. I refer to my TW as the poodle bike.

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/10/31/bikepics-2089977-800.jpg]/img

[img]http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/10/31/bikepics-2089984-800.jpg

This last one is my toy shop.

Phelonius

A couple did not come through, I will try again

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool. I'm working on my wife to get the 2WD Ural soon. I love those things!

I guess I'm just attracted to slow, funky motorcycles.

Having had 10 sidecar equipt motorcycles in my life, yes one of them was a Ural Patrol with all the bells and whistles including TWD.

Unless you plan on riding in severe, and I mean deep snow or DEEP sand or DEEP mud, a lot,The TWD option is a thousand dollars wasted on giving you less gas milage and more parts to maintain.

I one wheel drive sidecar rig piloted skillfully can do very well in nearly all conditions that can be ridden.

The TWD was a wartime invention when sidecar motorcycles pulled field guns and or trailers of cargo, sometimes both.

A one wheel drive is very capable in that body english by the pilot or passenger (monkey) puts the weight and traction on what ever wheel needs it most.

If a Ural is what you must have, The Tourist model with leading link forks and nineteen inch wheels would be my choice.

If you are going to truelly challenge it, I would take along some rope and a small block and tackle for when you discover that there are limits.

I would have this in my patrol too. TWD does not make you invulnerable.

I would put my DR against any Ural any day.

Phelonius

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the pics. You did some good "poodling"!

Also, thanks for the voice of experience on the Ural. We too have kicked around the idea of getting one. 2WD was a priority, but cost vs. how often we would actually need it is something to re-think.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics. You did some good "poodling"!

Also, thanks for the voice of experience on the Ural. We too have kicked around the idea of getting one. 2WD was a priority, but cost vs. how often we would actually need it is something to re-think.

One more thing to think about. It has no differential action. When you engage the hack wheel you are in locked axle effect.

This means turning can only be done if one of the driving wheels is lifted or slips.

In snow or mud to turn left charge into the corner and snap off the throttle as you steer left , the rear of the machine needs to slide to corner.

To turn right accellerate through the turn and lift weight off the sidecar wheel to effect a turn.

Never be in two wheel drive on Hard dirt or pavement. This can cause damage to the drive system.

The TWD is only useful for getting out of a deep spot in more or less a straight line, then go back to one wheel drive.

In My opinion the two wheel drive is not useful enough to merit the added price. Once was enough for me.

If your dealer will allow it, try piloting each.

Instead of spending money on two wheel drive, use the money on accessories, like maybe this.

Phelonius

1 - 8 of 8 Posts