TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really haven't seen it on to many pictures (unless it wasn't pronounced) but does anyone know if these come stock on the TW's?
20140408_172832.jpg
I was told they are Whip Lash Protectors so you don't bite the metal hand bar when you do something super sweet...like jumping that creek that everyone said you could make but you where still like 4ft away...and now head first in the mud bank.
I even looked all thru bike bandit under OEM parts and found zilch. If they do come stock does anyone keep theirs on? I am not looking for aftermarket stuff, I just would like to know whats the deal with them in general. I don't even notice mine when I am riding.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
handlebar pads don't come on the stock bars cause with a whopping 16hp no one is doing any tail whips on a TW...the easiest place to verify this would be on the yamaha website and just look at the new TW photos in the gallery ( http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelgallerylib/10/1/0/gallery.aspx# )...looks like someone used some home pipe insulation on your bike...or maybe a kid's bmx bicycle pad...my pro taper handlebars came with a pad so i left it on but i don't really need it...you may want to worry about the chain before the handlebar pad

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
handlebar pads don't come on the stock bars cause with a whopping 16hp no one is doing any tail whips on a TW...the easiest place to verify this would be on the yamaha website and just look at the new TW photos in the gallery ( 2014 Yamaha TW200 Gallery, photos, pictures, pics )...looks like someone used some home pipe insulation on your bike...or maybe a kid's bmx bicycle pad...my pro taper handlebars came with a pad so i left it on but i don't really need it...you may want to worry about the chain before the handlebar pad
Lol, yeah it looks like that insulating foam material that goes around hot water lines but its actually very solid rubber with squishy inside (its made with a split down the center to fit handle bars). Its off an older dirt bike I am sure from the original owner at least 16 years ago.
Well I have to say I have used it at least 5 times since I have had the beast doing some extremely stupid stuff and hard braking (also groundhog holes out of nowhere). Full helmet gave me that extra reaching distance needed to be completely angry several times.
I see the new ones don't have it. I am just curious about everyone else.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are available aftermarket all over the place. I seem to remember someone saying the 10" is the correct length, but I'm not where I can measure for you, so I suggest checking before ordering. Commonly called handlebar pads. Here is an example of a 10" for sale. $6.25

Fly Racing 10" Handlebar Pad - Extreme Supply
Yeah they aren't to hard to find. Every shop down here wants to sell you an over priced one. Was just curious if everyone else had one come stock or not. Or if they ended up taking theirs off (for what reasons).

·
Registered
814 Posts
I used them when I rode in the desert in the late 70s. Then again a few years ago I had one on my XL500. I cut a small piece of foam out of it and put my garage door opener in it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My main curiosity stems from the flash backs that seem to roll in waves everyday I am messing with my tw. Cause when I attempted to get it inspected back in 07 it was in bad rusty shape and he hit me on some BS stuff that would make you go..what? Like the stupid helmet lock(which does anyone know if you need that for inspection?) and the handlebar pad (it was faded so he hit me on it too). Which makes me believe I am just going to take it all off so I can get passed inspection, especially if it doesn't come stock.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Matt! You fractured 4 vertebrae yesterday?? !! O No!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I learned yesterday that you'll probably go over the handlebars before you hit the crossmember

Don't think it would have stopped the face/ground impact or the 4 fractured vertebrae in my back. Spend the money on a good helmet and gear, that's what saved me :evil5:
Yeah that sounds extremely painful. I hope for you to have a speedy recover.
I have to say more of my use has been doing stupid stuff. Best example I have have was attempting to out run a quad down a dirt trail and I kicked the passenger pegs out to get the crotch rocket aerodynamics(lol) and I ended up doing a front wheel wheelie as I smashed the front brakes cause of a herd of deer that were out just to mess things up. Had that been just the bar it would of shattered my plastic face visor. Another would be ducking under low branches and not being aware how far I lowered my head...that one happens more then the latter.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I learned yesterday that you'll probably go over the handlebars before you hit the crossmember

Don't think it would have stopped the face/ground impact or the 4 fractured vertebrae in my back. Spend the money on a good helmet and gear, that's what saved me :evil5:
Holy crap! Glad you're here to tell us about it! How you feelin'?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Hope you feel better soon Matt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts