TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for my first TW, so it's time to consider how to transport it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am currently considering a hitch carrier. I have an all aluminium ATV trailer with fold down sides that serve as ramps and it's about 8' square so it can handle two full size ATV's but we sold those 3 years ago and I removed the sides for now as last year I used it for a sled and the sled must be loaded from the rear. In any case it tows nice and is easy to move by hand but it is still cumbersome to pull just for a small bike like the TW so I'm thinking a hitch carrier might be the answer.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
I am searching for my first TW, so it's time to consider how to transport it.
My actual preference is a trailer but I use both depending on the circumstance. Grewn's front hitch carrier works well because he pulls a camper and has a topper on the back of his pickup. No room for him to pull a utility trailer.

Long distance I try to use the trailer because I can haul more stuff along, though you can stuff a bunch this stuff in the back of a pickup or SUV.

I try to use the hitch carrier (dual hitch carrier in my case) when we want to get back in the woods before we unload.

With our camper

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I use both, I like the hitch carrier if I am going into the back country. Like Grewen, I have a front hitch also and prefer to carry the bike up front as it does not it covered with road grime. I use the trailer if I want more than 1 bike with me.
image.jpg

·
Registered
515 Posts
My actual preference is a trailer but I use both depending on the circumstance. Grewn's front hitch carrier works well because he pulls a camper and has a topper on the back of his pickup. No room for him to pull a utility trailer.

Long distance I try to use the trailer because I can haul more stuff along, though you can stuff a bunch this stuff in the back of a pickup or SUV.

I try to use the hitch carrier (dual hitch carrier in my case) when we want to get back in the woods before we unload.

With our camper
What type of hitch do you have on the truck to carry 2 cycles? Some folks I know have installed a higher capacity hitch to carry 2 bikes.. Lots of discussion on that....

Jim

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
What type of hitch do you have on the truck to carry 2 cycles? Some folks I know have installed a higher capacity hitch to carry 2 bikes.. Lots of discussion on that....

Jim
I have a tongue weight max of 850 lbs for my truck. 2 TW's loaded are about 250 lbs. under that. I'm not a mathologist but I suspect being extended lessons the max some but not enough for me to worry about.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Pictures of WR and Camper from our Alaska Trip.
WR stayed clean on the front, besides bugs.
Truck&WR_1.jpg Truck&WR_2.jpg

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a tongue weight max of 850 lbs for my truck. 2 TW's loaded are about 250 lbs. under that. I'm not a mathologist but I suspect being extended lessons the max some but not enough for me to worry about.
Yep, 2 ft out with just 1 bike doubles the torque/twist weight on the hitch... It is not only a downward weight but a torque weight. How much can the frame, where the hitch attaches becomes part of the load/twist application.

My F250's hitch is only mounted to the bottom lip of the C frame... Too much twist and the frame actually will bend at the attaching points. The hitches that not only attach to the bottom lip of the frame but also attach to the side are not susceptible to the twist.

Ask me how I know? Hahaha. Was not from a motor cycle rack..

A 3 ft extension doing flat towing a 2000lb vehicle, which does not have any tongue weight, encounters a deep DIP and it was a wow moment. For those that go to Sand Mountain near Fallon will know what I am talking about... I was watching a buggy on the mountain, doing about 20mph... uggggg. I did hit the brakes but it was too late.. It is a wonder that more damage was not done.... That camper weighs 4200lbs! I will not get into how the Toad was able to put that much downward pressure during the rapid deceleration and the down and up of the dip but it was pretty weird!

The ball on the hitch normally sits at 17"... The hitch twisted the frame lip where it attaches so the ball was at 9". It does not make too much of a twist to move the ball 8"...

I was able to get the frame back to normal and the ball now sits at 17" again. Just finished a trip of 400 mi towing, all excellent.

0917171549.jpg

This is my Truck, camper and Toad!

My goal is to be able to put my Tw-200 on the back of that Sammy.... I have the hitch installed on it to handle the weight but have not put the Dub on it yet. Want to do Moab with both the Sammy Zuke and my Dub... That way the Wife and I can go for rides and then I can go with the other DUBBERS on some of the group rides!

0617161258.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
it might help a lot if you could drop some kind of support down from your bumper to the hitch. when I load my bike on the front, I run chains down from the tow hooks. I think that doubles my limits and eliminates any sway

·
Registered
515 Posts
it might help a lot if you could drop some kind of support down from your bumper to the hitch. when I load my bike on the front, I run chains down from the tow hooks. I think that doubles my limits and eliminates any sway
Agree.
In the application to the Sammy I will run support tie downs from the roof rack which is HEAVY Duty... that will eliminate rocking... The idea of the chains I will do. Like that. The hitch receiver is part of the bumper, built in.

Jim

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Slight thread hijack about to occur.

Who was the idiot that put in those dips to Sand Mountain near Fallon?
Dip is an understatement. I hit the first one pretty fast thinking "dip, big deal", but those things are [email protected]%$#%@ trenches!.
No damage occurred, but the contents of by camper gotten re-organized.

My front hitch is rated at 500 lbs tongue weight and I have around 100 000 km with a bike riding on the front with no issues.

If you take it easy and stay away from the obscene speed dips by Sand Mountain, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Slight thread hijack about to occur.

Who was the idiot that put in those dips to Sand Mountain near Fallon?
Dip is an understatement. I hit the first one pretty fast thinking "dip, big deal", but those things are [email protected]%$#%@ trenches!.
No damage occurred, but the contents of by camper gotten re-organized.

My front hitch is rated at 500 lbs tongue weight and I have around 100 000 km with a bike riding on the front with no issues.

If you take it easy and stay away from the obscene speed dips by Sand Mountain, you'll be fine.
You are right about the trenches at Sand Mountain. Even going SLOW.... You can see all the gouges in the concrete from folks bottoming out... SUUUUUKKKKKSSSSSS!

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
I have a semi-conventional dual TW utility trailer, and an aluminum receiver hitch carrier but my go-to favorite is the Moto-Jack receiver hitch hydraulic platform. No suspension compression on bike, very off-roadable.
cea2778d1dd273b821900d4ac3d4b4da.jpg

More nimble and maneuverable than a trailer when exploring for that special remote base camp.
07b8d9db21aa459275b3505ffb08ea92.jpg

Plus once I unload the bike the carrier itself is small enough to avoid running into after dark. And sometimes it turns into my camp kitchen;). 525ef4a9af4767776351210946cdaab1.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a hitch carrier. It's "Hitch-Haul" brand. My TW with the Bridgestone knobbies sat in it OK. I had the Shinko tires put on, including the SR428 180/80-14 rear. I have to let all the air out of the rear so it slips down in the channel like it's supposed to. I got my carrier used...if you're buying new consider how wide it is for that chubby TW rear tire.... I think I'd still prefer the hitch carrier to a trailer, myself.

I actually bought the hitch carrier the day before I drove ~2 hours south to look at the TW I ended up buying. (I couldn't get anyone to come with me. I didn't want to ride the TW home on the interstate. I didn't want to take the time to find a non-interstate route.) I got the hitch carrier used off craiglist, actually -- perfect timing.

I told the family, "Look what followed me home!"

52342356829__39D40977-BBAF-4881-A009-9CA75BED8206-1.JPG

--Steve

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I have a hitch carrier. It's "Hitch-Haul" brand. My TW with the Bridgestone knobbies sat in it OK. I had the Shinko tires put on, including the SR428 180/80-14 rear. I have to let all the air out of the rear so it slips down in the channel like it's supposed to. I got my carrier used...if you're buying new consider how wide it is for that chubby TW rear tire.... I think I'd still prefer the hitch carrier to a trailer, myself.

I actually bought the hitch carrier the day before I drove ~2 hours south to look at the TW I ended up buying. (I couldn't get anyone to come with me. I didn't want to ride the TW home on the interstate. I didn't want to take the time to find a non-interstate route.) I got the hitch carrier used off craiglist, actually -- perfect timing.

I told the family, "Look what followed me home!"

View attachment 134065

--Steve
the rear tire doesn't really need to be inside of the rack, my sits on top and I just throw a belt around it. it must be a bitch trying to pull the dubster off the rack with a low tire

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like how you left some bolts out of the front so that the front wheel 'sits down' in the rack. Maybe I should have done that to begin with also ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts