TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have passed my written test for my CDL. Here in Texas we have to do a pretrip inspection which is very hard to get past. They are looking at your terminology and ability to inspect and name nearly every component of the truck. I failed my first attempt I believe because of some of my terminology. Does anyone have any helpful hints to get past this? I passed the in-cab inspection and air brake test. I have to redo it again when I take the pretrip inspection. If they were this thorough to get a regular driving license only about 50% would have a driver license.
I think they are putting this above and beyond driving abilities. It is good to know how to inspect and make sure everything is safe but explaining it perfectly is ridiculous. I am definitely having more respect for big trucks and their drivers. I ride my motorcycle for my safety. I drive my automobile for everyone's safety. When you are driving a big truck you drive more for the safety of others. It is surprising about the idiots that will pull in front of you slam their brakes on and not realize they were nearly killed. I am working for the school district and mainly will only be hauling trailers with tractors, driving dump trucks and other short hauls. Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve held a CDL for more years than I care to admit and, unfortunately teach bus class to the young Navy folks here at the base. The secret to passing the pretrip inspection is to use the terminology that is in the CDL handbook. If it moves, or has a cotter key mention each and every one of them. If it lights up or moves mention it. If nothing else mention most everything you see and eventually the examiners eyes will roll back in their head and they will nod knowingly and you will pass the pretrip portion of the exam.

Good luck. When I was studying for my CDL I found the pretrip to be the most boring, sleep inducing part of the test. Just remember you only really need to know one side of the vehicle and then you are just repeating what you just did for the other.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I almost got my CDL in Idaho a few years ago. There was a guy here I could have taken a pre-test from for like $125 that would have gone through everything you need to know to pass. Perhaps you can find someone local who offers the same?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've had a CDL from when they made the law, but I was grandfathered in or whatever you call it. But your required to do a pre and post trip inspection.
It's not too hard, I imagine there are websites that you can take practice tests, and to help you study, just like when you study for a ham radio license.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Now, this is strange. I replied to this thread, but it's not here anymore.
Maybe someone didn't like it and deleted it.
If so I don't know why, I'm sure I didn't post anything that could have offended anyone.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Post 5 is yours. No one has deleted anything. ;)
If so I don't know why, I'm sure I didn't post anything that could have offended anyone.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Last year I let my cdl go, didn't figure I would need it anymore. Then was asked to drive again. Went down to get it back here in Washington. I carry an Alaska license. They said I had to go to school to get it back to the tune of 4000 dollars. I called BS on that. When I got back to Ak I asked if they would reinstate my cdl. Sure if it hasn't been over a year since you let it go. I was only two weeks from losing it lol. Just went and got my medical and got it back. Will not let it go again.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
If in doubt (and this goes for anyone), clear your cache and cookies, then try again. Some browsers try to load a previous version of the page because it’s faster to do that, and other (browsers) get their tits in a tangle over the whole thing

There has been the “odd” case (or two) of a thread which becomes “stuck”, in which case notify a mod who will clear it for you — there is a small triangle beneath your post count on the right, simply click on it to report anything that you consider “amiss” — this triangle is present on all posts, it doesn’t have to be on “your one”. Having clicked on the icon, you will be invited to explain the problem further

In the vast majority of cases (like this particular one), no data will be lost, it’s simply a case of getting it to show

“If” a mod does edit your post, it will clearly show up as “edited by xxxx” — if for any reason the mods have to do this or delete any posts, we will send you a PM, explaining what has happened and why, as a simple courtesy. Both of these options are exceedingly rare events, and you’re welcome to challenge any decision

One of the reasons this board is regarded as such a success by its members, is because it’s a “symbiotic” relationship by everyone on here — so don’t hesitate to make the mods aware of any problems as they occur - the sooner we know about it, the sooner we can fix it.

To the great credit of our members, 99.99999% of problems are software based - and there are not many forums that can say that ………… ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
To the great credit of our members, 99.99999% of problems are software based - and there are not many forums that can say that ………… ;)
Errmmmm - VSAdmin - I didn't mean that to sound quite so mean - lol ......

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Fred – no worries – the mods now have a “quick fix” to that problem, but as before, we have to know about it first

“Team effort” ……..

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Fred – no worries – the mods now have a “quick fix” to that problem, but as before, we have to know about it first

“Team effort” ……..
Today, and I can't remember the thread right off, I clicked on it and it advanced me to the last page as is normal. Within a second or two it vanished and went to an error screen. There was only one thread which did this today. Couple day's ago I had, what is a re-occurring problem for me, where I can see on the "Home page > Recent thread" of the last person who posted. When I click on the thread it goes to the first #1 post and I can never see the last person's entry when scrolling or changing to the page the person posted on. When I eat the cookies, errr I mean clear them, it still doesn't work. This has happened a few times recently and seems to be cyclic happening for a day or two and then nothing for a while and then re-appearing. It only happens on certain threads and not on all that particular day.

Another think I noticed today for the first time in a long time when attaching a picture, I had to go to the "go advanced" which I haven't had to do in a long time.

I think the problem is cyber bugs! :D

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
The error screen was likely an isolated incident - but we have had several threads recently that refuse to show the latest page, these are the ones we can "quick fix" once we know they're stuck

The pic posting error was reportedly fixed about a month ago - but as always with picture posting, take that news with a pinch of salt - "go advanced" seems to always work though

The guys in the back room (VSAdmin) may look like swans above the surface - cool calm and collected - but underneath, they're paddling like crazy ......

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
I hadn't had the same picture posting problems everyone else was having whether in the go advanced screen or not. Today was the first time I had to go to the advanced screen in a very long time. Even had to go into the go advanced screen on this thread. Something I haven't had a problem with until today.

Yeah, I'm sure the Admins have their keyboards full!

Trying to be CDL related as I'm guessing UPS drivers have to have a CDL.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I called and talked to Mel. He is a really nice guy and is going to send me some helpful info. I did pass my pre-trip inspection today which is great. The info Mel sends me will be used to help others at work pass the pre-trip inspection. I have to go back one more time for the backing and driving test. I failed the parallel parking today. I think at one point I had the truck and trailer in there. I failed to get out to double check was my real issue. I tried to get it in better and it only got worse. I will be mainly be driving back roads 35-50mph. Today, with the learners permit, I got on the freeway at about 60mph. This is about a 1998 truck so it is noisy and bounces you all over the cab. There is a hard bench seat, no air ride in this one. I got a little more hands on driving experience in the dark with heavy traffic. I even did a successful evasive maneuver thanks to one of those stupid drivers. So, a little more practice and another trip for my test and I should be good. I am working for the school district so the money for cdl drivers is a bit low so some have left. Thanks for all of your support and help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts