TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the right side lever perch where the mirror screws in to a left hand thread?

If it is left hand thread does any company make an after market perch that is threaded in standard right hand threads but will also accommodate the brake light switch?

Thanks

GaryL

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
if it is LH thread, not sure if this helps, but a lot of companies make adapters to convert from LH to RH
This is probably the easiest solution. It's LHT for a reason, if you hit something with the mirror it will loosen and spin instead of breaking.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Right side mirror is the left hand thread, there is usually a notch cut around the nut on right side mirrors to identify it as a left hand thread on Yamahas. Another solution besides the adapter would be a heli-coil insert. If it was me, I would stick with a left hand thread mirror for the same reason as rbm, hit something and it will break the mirror, break the perch, or strip it out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gary, Procycle has a left hand thread converter for just what you want to do. $10 plus shipping if I recall. Mark

·
Registered
229 Posts
Im with scotti158

Right side mirror is the left hand thread, there is usually a notch cut around the nut on right side mirrors to identify it as a left hand thread on Yamahas. Another solution besides the adapter would be a heli-coil insert. If it was me, I would stick with a left hand thread mirror for the same reason as rbm, hit something and it will break the mirror, break the perch, or strip it out.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im with scotti158
I am with everyone on this with one exception. After market mirrors have the RH threads and those dumb assed thread converters are pure junk. Instead of spinning as it should have it just broke leaving me with a stud I had to drill out and that is how the threads got messed up. Keep in mind the mirror never hit anything, just took a jolt, but the thread converter was the weak link being an inch higher and softer aluminum.

My recommendation is to only buy new mirrors that come with right side reverse threads and avoid those converters.

GaryL

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just used Ebay myself. Just got two new mirror clamps and two new mirrors. The mirrors came with several different adapters to fit all types of threading. I didn't use the converters myself but you can hold on to them for future quick fixes. They are probably what you are looking for. Here is what I got. and this for mirror. I hope it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts