TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I picked up a couple used TWs ('93 & '99) for a couple grand. I only got so lucky on the price because one had been converted into a very pretty cafe racer with a sexy looking purple windscreen and the other had been physically abused.

I've been slowly fixing them up so they aren't as embarrassed when I take them out in public, but I'm still immensely proud of these machines. They both run well considering the trauma they've been through.

The older bike has enough physical damage that I often wonder what kind of accident could've caused THAT to happen? I suspect it's been head-over-heels a couple times. The chain obviously broke at least once and jammed up the front sprocket. The rear brake drum got dented and cracked by some incredible rock. And the mounting bolts for the rear sprocket were bent by a huge amount of torque, far more than I could ever imagine exerting on a 200cc bike.

All these details got me thinking. Who has the most abused TW on the forum?

I know this isn't something that most conscientious owners would like to brag about, but are there bikes our there in the forum that are ugly on the outside even they still retain their inner beauty?

I'd love to see pictures if you have them. And to hear the stories behind them.

IMG_20200110_223643.jpg IMG_20191113_105510.jpg IMG_20191109_115245.jpg IMG_20191002_115015.jpg IMG_20191002_114920.jpg IMG_20200110_224113.jpg IMG_20200110_223553.jpg IMG_20200110_223538.jpg

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Last year I picked up a couple used TWs ('93 & '99) for a couple grand. I only got so lucky on the price because one had been converted into a very pretty cafe racer with a sexy looking purple windscreen and the other had been physically abused.

I've been slowly fixing them up so they aren't as embarrassed when I take them out in public, but I'm still immensely proud of these machines. They both run well considering the trauma they've been through.

The older bike has enough physical damage that I often wonder what kind of accident could've caused THAT to happen? I suspect it's been head-over-heels a couple times. The chain obviously broke at least once and jammed up the front sprocket. The rear brake drum got dented and cracked by some incredible rock. And the mounting bolts for the rear sprocket were bent by a huge amount of torque, far more than I could ever imagine exerting on a 200cc bike.

All these details got me thinking. Who has the most abused TW on the forum?

I know this isn't something that most conscientious owners would like to brag about, but are there bikes our there in the forum that are ugly on the outside even they still retain their inner beauty?

I'd love to see pictures if you have them. And to hear the stories behind them.

View attachment 203027 View attachment 203028 View attachment 203029 View attachment 203030 View attachment 203031 View attachment 203032 View attachment 203033 View attachment 203034
I think you won. That's sad that someone would let them go that much. They are lucky to have you.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Yup an invincible teen. Everything on the bike is destroyed yet the kid just rubs dirt on his wounds and gets back to at it. I’ve seen many of those bits of damage before but never all on the same bike.

Congrats on keeping those out of a landfill!

This guy got hit by a car and put in a lot of effort to get his bike back on the road...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is roughest TW that I have owned. It's a 1987 that had been left outside for many years. The guy wanted $25 for it, but I used my superior negotiating skills and got him to accept $50 for it. Now it is just sitting outside at my house.

View attachment 203037 View attachment 203038
Now all you have to do is attach a squishy garden kneeling pad on the frame with duct tape and you've got a ready-made seat. Don't ask me how I know that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup an invincible teen. Everything on the bike is destroyed yet the kid just rubs dirt on his wounds and gets back to at it. I’ve seen many of those bits of damage before but never all on the same bike.

Congrats on keeping those out of a landfill!

This guy got hit by a car and put in a lot of effort to get his bike back on the road...

That's a great story . . . and a lot of work. Thanks for sharing the link.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Dub is also a bit rough, being a coastal bike it's got a fair bit of rust (to be remedied this winter) and also a busted chain cover. She also has a dash of road rash, all came before I bought her and I've only enjoyed her for the past 18 months.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is roughest TW that I have owned. It's a 1987 that had been left outside for many years. The guy wanted $25 for it, but I used my superior negotiating skills and got him to accept $50 for it. Now it is just sitting outside at my house.

View attachment 203037 View attachment 203038
Brian you going to follow Spud's advice and slap a saddle on her or do a complete resto?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Been there and done it with a very rough 1988 black widow I bought and rebuilt. Besides sourcing all the plastic parts the electrical harness was completely trashed and cut up. By the time I had the bike back to road worthiness I had spent well over $2K on the project. It did turn out nice but I swore Never Again with a bike so abused. In the middle of my 88 project I saw a CL add for another TW right up the road from me. It was a 1989 and actually in way worse condition and the guy wanted $1200 for a bike I would not pay $400 for. I couldn't believe it actually ran pretty good and he was still hammering it with bent forks and rims, bent foot peg brackets and sprockets that had almost no teeth left. Just a few days later I saw it go by my house in the back of a pickup heading to its new owner and all I could think was good luck fixing that mess up and break out your wallet.

GaryL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been there and done it with a very rough 1988 black widow I bought and rebuilt. Besides sourcing all the plastic parts the electrical harness was completely trashed and cut up. By the time I had the bike back to road worthiness I had spent well over $2K on the project. It did turn out nice but I swore Never Again with a bike so abused. In the middle of my 88 project I saw a CL add for another TW right up the road from me. It was a 1989 and actually in way worse condition and the guy wanted $1200 for a bike I would not pay $400 for. I couldn't believe it actually ran pretty good and he was still hammering it with bent forks and rims, bent foot peg brackets and sprockets that had almost no teeth left. Just a few days later I saw it go by my house in the back of a pickup heading to its new owner and all I could think was good luck fixing that mess up and break out your wallet.

GaryL
Yikes! Sounds expensive to fix. That's why I've basically become a "function over form" guy. I can't afford to restore either of my bikes to like-new condition so I've decided to just keep the mechanicals in as good shape as I can. Since I don't plan on ever taking these two bikes on the road I don't see any need to spend more than that.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wow,
And I thought mine was in bad shape when I purchase the '07 with only 587 miles on it about 6 months ago. Severe rust in the gas tank, battery/passenger foot peg assemblies/both mirrors/right rear turn signal/both chain guards/front brake handle were all missing. Needless to say, sort of like the OP's bike(s), mine needed lots of TLC to resurrect it and bring it back from the dead. But, a few bucks and, as far as time is concerned, I got lots of that being retired so, I got the Blue Noid up and running and have been very happy ever since.
Scott

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Yikes! Sounds expensive to fix. That's why I've basically become a "function over form" guy. I can't afford to restore either of my bikes to like-new condition so I've decided to just keep the mechanicals in as good shape as I can. Since I don't plan on ever taking these two bikes on the road I don't see any need to spend more than that.
If all it will be is a farm or trail runner then leaving it visually haggered is perfectly fine. Do as you said and get the mechanicals all up to snuff and just go beat her up some more. They need not be pretty to be fun to ride. I actually said that back when I was single too! (y) :cool:

GaryL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my tw's have alwas been new, but i did pick up an old honda ct90 a few years ago that was the roughest bike i have ever seen, it did cost way too much to get on the road, won't do that again
The before and after pics are amazing! I really love those classic bikes. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If all it will be is a farm or trail runner then leaving it visually haggered is perfectly fine. Do as you said and get the mechanicals all up to snuff and just go beat her up some more. They need not be pretty to be fun to ride. I actually said that back when I was single too! (y) :cool:

GaryL
my tw's have alwas been new, but i did pick up an old honda ct90 a few years ago that was the roughest bike i have ever seen, it did cost way too much to get on the road, won't do that again
No, it is too far gone for me to try and restore. I bought it primarily as a parts bike for the kicker, rear wheel and miscellaneous engine parts.
I have tried that route too and the satisfaction is a major boost to your ego, but not your wallet. I swapped an old Honda CB350/4 for 2 radial tyres. Got it home and found a rat nest in the air box and rat pee in the carbs and engine(the least of the visual problems). Got the motor free but the carbs were trash, cleaned the frame and re painted it. Fixed the motor and got about 50% with the project in '09. Then I had to sell up, gave it to a friend and he tinkered with it for a bit and turned it into a bobber. Drove it for a bit and sold it on again.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
A trail 90 in that shape comes down to knowing when to hold and when to fold. Nice to see you got her up and running but I would have passed on that one even if it was free. I have bought a couple Honda trails just like that and all I did was flip them as parts bikes and made a few $$ in the trades.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
A trail 90 in that shape comes down to knowing when to hold and when to fold. Nice to see you got her up and running but I would have passed on that one even if it was free. I have bought a couple Honda trails just like that and all I did was flip them as parts bikes and made a few $$ in the trades.

GaryL
i agree, but it was my winter hobby, so it gave me something to do. i was actually restoring a honda ct110 at the time i bought this bike, so the 110 got all the new parts and the ct90 got the left overs.....sorry for hi-jacking

Attachments

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
What the hell is all this shit about "Hijacking"? We are talking about roached bikes and those who breathe new life into them. In my world that gets you a TW forum medal of honor and I don't care what old basket case bike you bring back.
Face it all, Glowspud asked "Who has the most hammered TW" and from the looks of what he posted I say he wins the prize unless some others dug their relics up from the deep. The thought is to get and keep us all talking while the majority of us are under the spell of winter.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts