TW200 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Face it all, Glowspud asked "Who has the most hammered TW" and from the looks of what he posted I say he wins the prize unless some others dug their relics up from the deep. The thought is to get and keep us all talking while the majority of us are under the spell of winter.

GaryL
Thank you for the vote but I'm not willing to accept prize quite yet. I know there must be some other lurkers out there who are on a similarly tight budget and also secretly in love with their not-so-pretty bikes.

I had a 25 year dry spell between my original Yamaha Enduro 2-strokes and the TWs that I bought last year. And even though they are well used (21 & 28 years old) they still run great in all the ways that matter.

I've got a friend who bought a newer TW (2005) shortly after I bought mine and even he is a little jealous of my relics. It's a shame the newer bikes don't have kick starters, bleed screws on the front forks, etc. that make these older bikes so cool.

I can't wait for spring to get here. It's going to be a long wait.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here's my '87. You guys have seen it before.
...sat for over 20 years. Roached seat, rusty swingarm, side case broken by the chain, broken spokes, leaky fork seals, bad CDI, corroded turn signal control, cables frozen from rust, side stand missing (with part of the frame), no tank, air box cover missing, no battery, carb roached, etc. I'm about half way through the restoration, but it's on hold because of another project.
20180619_123618.jpg 20180707_150829.jpg 20180619_124545.jpg 20180619_124704.jpg 20180622_180829.jpg

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
What the hell is all this shit about "Hijacking"? We are talking about roached bikes and those who breathe new life into them. In my world that gets you a TW forum medal of honor and I don't care what old basket case bike you bring back.
Face it all, Glowspud asked "Who has the most hammered TW" and from the looks of what he posted I say he wins the prize unless some others dug their relics up from the deep. The thought is to get and keep us all talking while the majority of us are under the spell of winter.

GaryL
wow, i feel like a whipped puppy. sorry for saying sorry, but it's Canadian you know

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, it's as bad as it gets. Because it had multiple issues (I later discovered the CDI needed replacement), I just replaced the carb to completely eliminate it from the list of potential problems. Thanks again to Gary for that sound advice.

The bike now runs great - I just need to keep going with the swingarm reinstallation, as well as the spoke replacement and the fork seals. After that, it's going to be good-to-go. I've completed everything else, including welding a new tab on the frame and installing a new side stand.
Oooooh, that carb bowl pic ought to go in the stickies, if any newbie wants to know why not to leave ethanol fuel in a carb over the winter!!
Just think what the rest of the fuel system looks like! :eek:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Gary, have you had even one day or two to shake down the new TW-DR-BW 350?

Marty

·
Registered
392 Posts
Saw this TW200 on Craigslist. I think it could take the prize!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts