TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's one of mine. I had no real father, so I had to find my own mentors. This man is one of several that I consider my mentors.

Enjoy; it's quite a story... I hope you will take a moment to read it. It's very inspiring or at least it was to me... and definitely; worth the read. :)

RG LeTourneau ? Christian Businessman & Inventor This one first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._G._LeTourneau This one second.

Truly an amazing read. The old timers and mechanics around here will enjoy this if they can remember; back in the day... ;) :D

If you like this...example of one of my mentors...

I have more that I can share with you. :)

Registered
For me i would have to say it was my Father as i am almost his mirror in a lot of ways. We look different but we have a lot of the same qualities. I have the same tireless work ethic, endless patience, never quit attitude, empathy for others, mechanical prowess, love for the outdoors, love for anything with a motor, problem solving ability, etc . All that comes from him directly, there is no doubt in my mind. The only thing i can say i got from my mom is my opinionated nature, not sure if that's a good thing or not......

I was very lucky that my father was a guy that lived for his kids, unlike my mother that didn't really give a crap my dad really did the job of both parents. He was a provider, was always there and in my opinion was everything a parent should be. The big thing for me was he really was the consummate teacher and that is something that i never really appreciated until he was gone. My father was a master machinist and had a very mechanical mind. He was the guy that could fix or build anything and was always tinkering with something, as a kid i was always there with him and he was always taking the time to teach me something. What i never realized at the time was what i was learning and how valuable it would be in life in general. Looking back at some of the things he taught me, i learned how to build/fix houses, grow my own food, fix cars, operate machinists equipment like lathes and milling machines, learned how to weld when i was like 9 or 10, the list goes on and on its so long i cant complete it. Now that i'm in my 40's i realize what a great gift it was that he gave me which is the ability to be totally self reliant. If the SHTF i would have no issues fending for myself and the people i care about. Its a gift a lot of people i know do not have and i have my dad to thank for it.

Registered
My E-5 buck sergeant in the army back in the sixties. He had been in the Korean war and had been an E-7 SFC before being busted down to private for punching out
A subordinate a year or so before I joined the outfit. He was a spec 4 when I joined the company but rapidly went up to spec 5 then buck sergeant. He was a staff sergeant
When he was transferred out to another unit. I never heard the details of his getting busted but from what I knew of him, whoever he pounded must have earned it greatly.
Of all the non-coms I knew I had the most respect for him. Even after I went into the Coast Guard and began to rise in rank up to chief, whenever a leadership problem arose,
I would ask myself, "how would Woody handle this". This served me well through out my career.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK Ladies out there...especially for you. :)

This is also one of my mentors. I will share many of them with you if you folks are interested.

All these people that I will share have been mentors of mine. I had no real father; I had to choose my own mentors and then learn how to believe God. Each man is given a measure of Faith; use it.

If you want to know who I really am; read about my many mentors. I ended up a combination of all these.

Ladies; for you; enjoy. ;)

We all have a calling in our lives; if we will listen quietly for that small still voice; that is God.

Frances Ridley Havergal

Frances Ridley Havergal Biographies - Christian Biography Resources

There are several links within this link.

Registered
My Father. WW2 flyer and Police man. Who taught me to be firm but gentle. My Mother who birthed my love of nature. My High School Science Teacher Fred Burgraff who expanded my awareness of nature. John and Dale Stokes who spend 24/7 taking care of and protecting Raptors and trusting me enough to let me handle them. Last my Wife who loves my crazy azz.

Registered
1. My Dad..."CM" Howe, Jr.

The rest are not in any order.
Robert Pursig (Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Mahatma Ghandi
Martin Luther King
Franklin Roosevelt
Thomas Jefferson
Archie Bunker
Bart Simpson
George Carlin
John Lennon
Ansel Adams
Stephen Hawking
A. J. Foyt

Registered
I have had so many mentors and guiding lights in my life it would be impossible to list them all, but here are a few:
1st- SGT Jim Phillips favorite quote "It is better to walk into a fight then run from one (because your back becomes a great target.)
2nd-SFC William Hawkins favorite quote "I'm an a$$hole, get over it." He was an a$$hole, but only the best kind! (figure that one out.)
3rd-SSG Gotchalk favorite quote "Private keep your hands were I can see them, your making me nervous."
4th-SFC Wurzer too many quotes to choose from. Most would be inappropriate anyway.
5th-Linda Belanger (current boss) favorite quote "Quit your crying your a protected species, your Union... Idiot."
6th and last- My Wife, she has supported me for over 12 years (11 being married) 2 deployments to Iraq. Working screwy and long hours at an all security level prison. She has taught me to be a stronger person who is less judgmental of others and given me a better grasp of focus. She makes most everything we eat (to include the rendering lard so she can have perfect tortillas and pie crusts.)

These people and countless more are people who made me who I am, made me stronger emotionally, mentally, and professionally. So to them if they ever read this post Thank you.

And on the fun side of things Yoda favorite quote: "Do or do not. There is no try."

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #13
I have had so many mentors and guiding lights in my life it would be impossible to list them all, but here are a few:
1st- SGT Jim Phillips favorite quote "It is better to walk into a fight then run from one (because your back becomes a great target.)
2nd-SFC William Hawkins favorite quote "I'm an a$$hole, get over it." He was an a$$hole, but only the best kind! (figure that one out.)
3rd-SSG Gotchalk favorite quote "Private keep your hands were I can see them, your making me nervous."
4th-SFC Wurzer too many quotes to choose from. Most would be inappropriate anyway.
5th-Linda Belanger (current boss) favorite quote "Quit your crying your a protected species, your Union... Idiot."
6th and last- My Wife, she has supported me for over 12 years (11 being married) 2 deployments to Iraq. Working screwy and long hours at an all security level prison. She has taught me to be a stronger person who is less judgmental of others and given me a better grasp of focus. She makes most everything we eat (to include the rendering lard so she can have perfect tortillas and pie crusts.)

These people and countless more are people who made me who I am, made me stronger emotionally, mentally, and professionally. So to them if they ever read this post Thank you.

And on the fun side of things Yoda favorite quote: "Do or do not. There is no try."

Loved it!! Thanks for sharing brother!! :D

Registered
I'll add one to my list that I forgot, and shouldn't have...
Josephine DeSalvo, my 11th & 12th Grade English teacher.
She saw and brought out something in me that I never saw or knew, neither did my parents or anyone else.
It was due to her great teaching, "pushing" and support that I discovered "words" and later became a writer.
Thank you Josephine, I know you are up there now teaching the angels to speak and write well!
And correcting them with a smile and gentle heart when they don't...

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #16
I swear LT you pull more words out of me then any other person... Not sure how you do that.
;) :p :D

Could it be I'm just a master at loving people around me??? I'm starting to really like you my Southern Washington friend. I think you've already made my "want to meet" list bro. :)

Registered
Fascinating you bring up LeTourneau, LittleTommy. My older brother who would have rather his face covered in oil newly puked from his '64 Chrysler, than to be stuck behind a book, after reading Letourneau's autobiography "Movers of Men and Mountains" decided he was going to Letourneau College, and be an engineer, which he did. Some 40 years later, my son read that same book and is on his way to a degree in engineering at Maryland University. A powerful man, Letourneau was, with a powerful testimony.

Registered
Mostly family for me.

My grandfather who came to this great country at the age of 16 with only a few pounds in his pocket. He worked hard and made a very good living for himself helping his family all the while bringing his brothers and sisters over as they wished and supporting them as they tried to do the same as he had. He's the man who inspires me to care most for my family and to always just try.

My father who has always worked hard and ungodly hours to provide the best he could for us. To this day despite his health issues he continues to work hard each and EVERY day with absolute professional work ethic. It's thanx to him that I have such work ethic and it because of him that i am as successful as I am in my chosen career.

And lastly my mother. The woman resposable for raising my siblings and I. A woman that truly taught me the meaning of strength as she was always the one to put us into our placesas well as being the voice of reason. A woman the gave us our morals and kept us in line. And most of all the woman that is the one that got myself into this great hobby of riding motorcycles. She was hooked when my grandfather took her for rides as a kid. So when she could she got her license and started riding her own bike (my father does not ride. Riding was my MUMS thing that she did on her own). It was her that got me to try riding and I have been hooked ever since.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts