TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yahoo, Finally got snow yesterday so I could test out the tire chains. My intent was to go for a long ride out in the training area, but the snow kept sticking to my goggles. Who needs to see, right? Tell me Georgie doesn't like the howling wind and snow!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yahoo, Finally got snow yesterday so I could test out the tire chains. How old am I again? Weird thing is, after 4 inches of snow, it's all gone after it started raining last night. Was hoping to go out for more than a test ride, and I ain't gonna go ride in this glue-o-matic mud today.

My actual intent was to go for a long ride out in the training area, but the snow kept sticking to my goggles. Who needs to see, right? Well, you can tell the snow was sticking as it was getting on the camera lens too!

Anyway, I took it easy to start with since I've no experience riding in the snow with chains. Riding in the snow yes, tentatively and slow, but not with chains. It wasn't long before I was giving the TW some throttle. Did really good.

Tell me Georgie doesn't like the howling wind and snow!

You'll see I took it a little slow around the corners on account I don't have chain on the front. It was fun. I can't wait for the next snow!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsoNod3iCw[/media]

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Wow, I'm glad we didn't get to see Admiral biff it! It must've felt pretty solid to get up to the speeds you were going. I would think that would be a must have modification for anyone who lives where there is a lot of snow. Fun! Thanks for showing us how well it works!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Good job Admiral! Given my limited experience I think you will find that chains on the front will help keep you upright when the snow gets thin and you begin dealing with mud. Rear wheel traction is of minimal value if you can't steer. If you want, I will mail you my ski for further testing
.. Thanks for having fun for the rest of us. Gerry

·
Registered
264 Posts
Where did you get a chain to fit the TW ? (or is this "custom made?)
An automotive tire chain in 175/85 14 size will fit, as will an atv chain in 25x8x12. All tire chains should be fitted to the tire before use as there are always slight differences in varying brands of tires. The S style chain mentioned earlier usually has a cable on the sides and cross chains.These would allow more clearance to the swingarm sides. ATV chains also come with v-bars attached to the chain and add quite a bit off traction in certain conditions. Chains give a 300 percent increase in traction and can't be beat when they're needed. Besides they make the vehicle look cool.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xadc, I think my balls would be much, much smaller if I was riding in your country. Some of the places you ride, all I can say is whow!

Cool!

What kind of speed did you get up to?

When are you going to try skis on the front?

Had to go out and look at the TW speedo and review the video. Looks like I was mainly around 25mph. If snow stayed on the ground longer here I'd try a ski!

Where did you get a chain to fit the TW ? (or is this "custom made?)

Not sure of the chain size. Layed this chain next to the chains pops-in-law bought for his ATV and they were the same. Size chart on his chain pouch listed a kazillion sizes. I think Gun Ship is about right though.

Given my limited experience I think you will find that chains on the front will help keep you upright when the snow gets thin and you begin dealing with mud. Gerry

You're dead on Gerry. I might have got better traction with the front with my Shinko 244 over the stock front, but going through anything other than virgin snow, I know the front will slide around. I experienced this at hunt'in camp this year. But I wish I would have at least had the rear chains at that time. No chains meant a parked TW. Too dangerous.

(An automotive tire chain in 175/85 14 size will fit, as will an atv chain in 25x8x12.) (All tire chains should be fitted to the tire before use) (The S style chain mentioned earlier usually has a cable on the sides and cross chains.) (Chains give a 300 percent increase in traction and can't be beat when they're needed. Besides they make the vehicle look cool.)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

My chains are a bit wide and drape over the sides more than needed. Which is one reason I had to remove the chain guard. With a cutter and welder I plan to shorten the sides up for a better fit. They do work "as is" though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Snow chains, I'd never of thought of that, I'm still thinking about screw in studs, no snow here yet though.

Georgie looks cold!!!!

Good sound on the the video, I couldn't hear your teeth chattering at all!!!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
One disadvantage of the ATV tires I hadn't considered. I like having 3 or 4 strap-on cables for extra- soft sand and mud, but there isn't enough chain clearance with the wider tires

I do have a suggestion from back in my 4x4 days. I planned to do it on my TW but it won't work out for me now. Just thought I'd pass the idea along. We used to weld 4-6 individual proof chain links to our rims, radially and equidistant on either side of the rim. In other words, one on either side at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock for the 4-chain setup.

Then we'd make 4 short cables or chains with an "S" hook on one end, and a snap on the other. Hook one end to the rim on one side and snap it to the other side. Chains on in 12 seconds, even if you're already in deep doodoo.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yahoo, Finally got snow yesterday so I could test out the tire chains. How old am I again? Weird thing is, after 4 inches of snow, it's all gone after it started raining last night. Was hoping to go out for more than a test ride, and I ain't gonna go ride in this glue-o-matic mud today.

My actual intent was to go for a long ride out in the training area, but the snow kept sticking to my goggles. Who needs to see, right? Well, you can tell the snow was sticking as it was getting on the camera lens too!

Anyway, I took it easy to start with since I've no experience riding in the snow with chains. Riding in the snow yes, tentatively and slow, but not with chains. It wasn't long before I was giving the TW some throttle. Did really good.

Tell me Georgie doesn't like the howling wind and snow!

You'll see I took it a little slow around the corners on account I don't have chain on the front. It was fun. I can't wait for the next snow!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsoNod3iCw[/media]
1st................ Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool vid.. I'm guessing you have much better balance than I do... For us 60+ year olds out there I stick to my beloved yammie Vector snowmobile for winter.. (o;.. Again, very nice skill level. OMM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Awesome vid. The dog really sits on the back the whole time? Used to do this kind of stuff on all kinds of bikes. We only got two snowfalls here, one in the end of october (freakish), another two weeks ago when I had surgery and about 2 inches that lasted for a day or so. Kinda glad we didn't get much snow this year, I should be able to ride in it next year. I presume you've upgraded your tires, no way the stockers could hold up, let alone in a little mud.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Awesome vid. The dog really sits on the back the whole time? Used to do this kind of stuff on all kinds of bikes. We only got two snowfalls here, one in the end of october (freakish), another two weeks ago when I had surgery and about 2 inches that lasted for a day or so. Kinda glad we didn't get much snow this year, I should be able to ride in it next year. I presume you've upgraded your tires, no way the stockers could hold up, let alone in a little mud.
Yep, Georgie does fairly well at staying on the back. She bales off once in a while when we are going slow and I hit a bump neither of us is ready for. Rear tire is stock with the chains on, but I've replaced the stock front with a Shinko 244 (similar to a kenda 270).

Take care and hope your doing well after your surgery.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Great minds think alike (and i copied you a bit too so that helps) -- I'm running a tire chain on the rear now, with a stock rear tire and kenda k270 front

Got a free beer at the local watering hole when I stopped for a burger the other night for being crazy enough to ride a motorcycle to a snowmobile bar. Not sure it is a good idea to give beer to people that have already demonstrated a lack of risk assessment, but I didn't turn it down, either

What I found is that this setup is best on a road with a small amount of snow mixed with sand. Excellent traction from the chain and the k270 "bites" enough in the sand/snow mix to not make turns hairy.

Icy patches suck (because of the "bare" front tire). Packed down snowmobile trails are OK, but we have not had much snow this year and a lot of ice, so the ski tracks are down to the ice under the snow and it can get hairy. Had a couple of "tank-slapper" moments due to getting the front sucked into a ski track. Bare virgin snow was ok, but we had shitty snow. The one day we had packy snow it was pretty awesome.

Only have about 30 miles on this setup which is a mix of completely offroad in virgin snow, snowmobile trails, and roads. Will definitely be doing it again next year but probably with ice screws in the front tire. Have no real problems with the rear on ice due to the chain, but WATCH OUT for your front tire when you hit an icy patch because it will want to wash out badly.

A note to those considering riding a tdub in wintertime with a 'knobby' front tire: you might want to raise the front fender because I had issues with packy snow building up between fender and front tire.

Ride on Admiral, you crazy coot!

PS: I know, 'pics or it didn't happen' but i only have crappy cell pics that aren't worth sharing due to getting home from work after dark every night

·
Registered
701 Posts
Another data point to add to the awesome of this thread: I dug a pair of tire chains out of the trunk of my old 1965 plymouth valiant that my stepfather bought me a long time ago when I was daily driving that car. The chains were either cut to fit the tires (very well done, if so), or ordered to fit: 175/70R13. Anyway, thats where operose got his chain, and where I got mine

Same thing here, stock rear with the chain, Kenda K270 front:

Had to go play out back...

Front washes out bad on ice, but the traction under the rear tire is unstoppable. I can say that a 47T rear sprocket is inappropriate for the terrain!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Operose and Jontow,

Great stuff. Though the snow melted off, chains are still on and trying them out in the mud. Whole different deal with this one. 1-2" of greasy mud on top of frozen ground. And so far . . . no

Guess we will have to start a new motorcycle club. "The TW Chain Gang"!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts