TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Just bought my first bike/first TW as my commuter & main mode of transportation here in Chicago.

I ride pretty frequently with a passenger, and I'm curious what accommodations exist to make 2-up riding a little more enjoyable.

I'm also in the market for a rear rack and I'm wondering what racks besides Cycleracks (if any) can double as passenger grab bars.

Thanks!
Happy riding

Registered
Hi! Just bought my first bike/first TW as my commuter & main mode of transportation here in Chicago.

I ride pretty frequently with a passenger, and I'm curious what accommodations exist to make 2-up riding a little more enjoyable.

I'm also in the market for a rear rack and I'm wondering what racks besides Cycleracks (if any) can double as passenger grab bars.

Thanks!
Happy riding
I ride with a passenger frequently on all 3 bikes. I find that a tank bag and a rear rack for carrying stuff is a must and we also have PackTalk headsets!
We always carry rain gear, bottles of water and some snacks in case we need them

Registered
2 up is the main reason I picked the tw200. It was the only bike my wife could get on by herself. I have ridden it with her on dirt roads in the NC mountains. It is perfect for that. We also ride paved roads on occasion. I have a cyclerack. Dont get the one with the hump! It makes putting stuff on the back a real pain. You have to find bags/boxes that can fit a limited space. Still have the death wing on the front. Shinko 241 is ready and waiting for installation. Love the tdub for 2 up ridinga

Registered
the wife and i have rode many miles on the tw and the cyclerack worked great. with the bars for handles and a low topbox, she was pretty comfy. i will be picking up a new dr200 tommorrow and the cyclerack will be the first mod

Registered
My girl and I do some exploring together on my TW. Mostly on paved roads, but often along the seasonal roads, and some fire roads and snowmobile trails. She's ok on the back except when I hop a log and don't tell her its coming, it kinda launches her :rolleyes:.
I don't have a rack, and usually she'll just grab my jacket, or my belt and hold on that way. Going down longer grades usually finds her sliding forward, and then I'm practically sitting on the tank, but we just adjust a lot more going down bumpy trails.
My bike will do 65 with her on, and it doesn't seem to take much longer than when I'm alone on it, but we do end up banging helmets way more often than on the VStar.
We have not made any accommodations for passenger riding because we really haven't seen a need for any yet. I'd say you two go for a few rides and decide what could be better afterwards.

Registered
...make 2-up riding a little more enjoyable.?

Intercoms make riding double MUCH more enjoyable.
The nicer units (Sena) allow you to talk over music in the background and the audio is amazing with the wind/ noise cancelling mics. You can also connect to Nav./gps, radar and phone.
Callers are surprised when i tell them I鈥檓 riding, they don鈥檛 hear the wind or engine.

When teaching riding the intercoms really speed up the learning process, much less stressful with clear communication.
And comms. will really be handy when you tire of riding double and get that 2nd tdub.

Registered
My wife has ridden on the back of my TW in national parks and in the hills around our home. We鈥檝e ridden as many as 128 miles in one day. To make if difficult for her to fall off the back, I installed a rack and strapped on a soft tool bag, with tools that are wrapped in rags. She prefers the Road King and even the Dyna, but they don鈥檛 fit in the back of my pickup.

Attachments

Registered

Thanks!
Happy riding
I'm not sure anything can be done to make the TW more "enjoyable" when riding 2-up. I think the main problem is that it's just uncomfortable. When riding solo I stand up a lot but standing up with a passenger is basically putting your butt in their face. I do ride 2-up a lot with my girlfriend and don't stand up very often for that reason, but we usually keep the ride to about 3 hours or less (on the CB500 it's less of a problem). I do have a "Cyclerack" and can't comment about other racks.

Registered
I bought the Tusk rack and really like it. If you get the tusk, just be careful of cross threading exhaust bolt when installing. Instructions warn you about it and i had a little trouble with it but I do like the rack. A little cheaper then cycle rack. Good quality imo.
TTS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts