Hey Tommy,

Rode my bike today... but not my TW.

84 degrees F in central FL. :)

jb

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
84* ... Gee whiz ... It will be next August before we see those temps again.
Lucky Duck.

I had to go out again today, took the Harley, barely got it started it was so cold. I got in about a hour total today. I gotta ride while I can, winters just starting here.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Thursday -- I rode Hwy 9 to the summit (Skyline Dr.). The higher I got the more "invigorating" the ride got. 59*F when I left the house -- probably high 40's at the summit. I will wear more on Saturday for the Mt. Hamilton / FR ride.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would like to but I sorta don't have cold weather gear anymore. it was about 40 today, just had other errands to do. But I do see one guy who rides almost every day past my house on a KLR 650

·
Registered
188 Posts
I WILL be riding tomorrow when my head FINALLY comes in! It's 13* here in Golden, CO and the snow is coming hard. I'm very excited to get back in to it!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Was not too bad today. It was cold but my 10 mile commute was no problem and I did not get cold. I did notice a bit of that road salt had accumulated on the bike from some riding over the last weeks so I sprayed the bike off. I previously put on a heavy duty rust inhibitor and I was happy to see that even with a bit of soap and pressure washer did not take it off. It seems well protected.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice job and nice riding Steve. I thought you would be colder. I think I need some warmer gloves..or it could be old man circulation.?? I get a bit stiff too. But fall and early winter remain my favorite time of the year to ride. Exhilarating!

·
Registered
493 Posts
For sure hands are the biggest problem as the temps drop. I have been really impressed with my $20 gloves from the General Store. They are nothing super special but better than a lot of gloves I have used. I did put them by the fireplace this morning before I left to warm the up. I will likely do heated gloves at some point however.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For sure hands are the biggest problem as the temps drop. I have been really impressed with my $20 gloves from the General Store. They are nothing super special but better than a lot of gloves I have used. I did put them by the fireplace this morning before I left to warm the up. I will likely do heated gloves at some point however.
The cold can be a huge pain! I'm in the 'needing better gloves' club as well. Speaking of cheap finds though, my steel-toe work boots that I got from walmart for $30 have been the best for riding. They are waterproof, leather, and dang sturdy. Uncomfortable when walking though... Thanks for tipping me off on the cheap gloves though!! I was worried my search would be more expensive!

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Those covers for the wrist are great. The little cracks KILL me. Before I got my face mask, my chin got FREEZING! Then, before I got good socks, the ankles, and now I just need to solve the wrists!

Maybe I will just build a structure around my TW... Add a heater... A radio... Two wheels....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Passed up 36 in the rain this morning. My cherokee's heater core is calling my name.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Winter's grasp finally took hold of sunny Tucson today! Chilly low 60's and rain for my morning commute, but the storm system really wreaked havoc during the day and I had to deal with a slight drizzle and 50 degrees on the way home.

If it gets any worse I'm gonna have to stop wearing my mesh gloves!

:D

·
Registered
493 Posts
I rode today and at this temp I did get enough wind up my helmet to make my eyes water. When I got to lunch I ordered a windjammer off of ebay. It is a little wind blocker that attaches to the bottom of your helmet to keep the air from coming in. They market it for noise reduction but I am more thinking about not having brain freeze!

On a side note at lunch I took one of the used bikes. It was a BMW R1200RT. Big windshield, that has electronic adjustment, heated grips and a heated seat. It was pretty darn comfy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All I did was run errands around town. SoCal, Ventura area. Cloudy, windy and raw for the area in the low fifties. Nothing compared to where I grew up so I just accuse myself of having turned into a thermal weenie and find out it's not so bad once under way. Truth is those of us in SoCal have it pretty good in the winter.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
and find out it's not so bad once under way.

Yeah, you are kinda commited once you roll out the driveway. The exhilarating cool air is what I love. I grew up in San Diego as a kid and I don't remember wearing anything but a t-shirt or a flannel shirt riding back then year round.

21 - 40 of 4650 Posts