TW200 Forum banner

4661 - 4680 of 4935 Posts

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Beautiful day, in 60s. Attached a huge tree pic and as far as I got one trail before snow and ice
Plan to get out again today
Nice to see you getting out. I got the fever real bad. TW Fever!!! I might try and ride mine to the mailbox and back but with the snow-covered roads turned into icy potholed roads, it's pretty sketchy. AGATT just to get the mail, who knew.

Reactions: Donzo

·
Registered
508 Posts
So far today have ridden 42 miles on the DT200 in 26 celcius sunny weather. Almost too hot for back country riding. The trails above Lake Havasu are in terrible shape. Wash boards in all the sand washes and even on some of the hard pack trails. The TW would have been shaken apart. My quads hurt from the pounding it gave the DT.

View attachment 203405

Now it is time for some big bike adventures or at least a ride into town for a late lunch.
You just said a mouthful there!!! We've lived in Lake Havasu now for almost 6 years. While we don't do a lot of local trails, and if we do, it's in our Jeep, the ones we've (and I alone on the T-dub) been on are so wash-boardy that it's really tough on ones body, even if you stand a lot on your pegs. And, being 67 years old, I can only stand for so long before I have to sit back down. And, as most of us know and realize, the standard TW seat sure as heck ain't the most comfortable to sit on, much less in or on, some of the ugliest trails known to man.

Most of the folks that run those trails, say the consensus of WHY the trails are NOW so bad and have that much washboard is because of the SIDE-BY-SIDES!!! There's millions of them around here. And, while us Arizonians know and realize, those darn things are street legal, there's even more of them on the trails, especially in the Winter time. I have no proof or scientific fact that our poor trail condition is due to those.

We've been Jeeping for well over 35 years and, I can say that, prior to the invasion of the side-by-side generation, most, if not all soft trails (as in washes etc., not rocks) seemed to keep relatively smooth surfaces.

I myself, while on the T-dub, much more prefer non rock strewn, non wash-board, smoother type trails/roads. Call me a woos, (spelling?) call me whatever, I don't mind. We went on a nice trip back in July and August that entailed traveling through AZ, NM, CO, ID, WY, UT and back home. I was in heaven while on trails in most of those states, Sooooooo much smoother and considerably more fun to ride on and very scenic. Anyway, sorry for the long rant. Enjoy your T-dubs out there, no matter where you ride.
Scott

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
I agree r.e. accelerated trail wear due to fast side-by-side travel.
My Sunday ride ( 40 to 50 degrees under cloudy skies) began with about a 10 mile transfer stage just to get away from all the fast traffic and eroded roadbeds. Once away from it all we grabbed a subtle side trail that led to about 30 miles of sandy singletrack in terrain not suitable for SxS racers. Then all was well in my universe. I like to try to get off the beaten track whenever possible.
moon rx.png
try to get off the beaten track when possible.

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
On Sunday, Trailrun, AlbertaDarrel, the member formally know as PlumbStraight and I navigated “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”. Randel got to see what his new Roxtor could handle and put the first dent into it. I also lost my license plate, but was able to back track and find it.
2DD43A8B-953E-48E1-B336-A3F55C04A0A0.jpeg
90472966-CB29-4A0E-B80A-A0651866E6EC.jpeg

if you look real close you can see the dent

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
508 Posts
On Sunday, Trailrun, AlbertaDarrel, the member formally know as PlumbStraight and I navigated “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”. Randel got to see what his new Roxtor could handle and put the first dent into it. I also lost my license plate, but was able to back track and find it.
View attachment 203662 View attachment 203663
if you look real close you can see the dent
ejfranz,
I googled "the good bad and ugly" trail in AZ and found what appears to be part of the Arizona Piece trail. Is that where you were? And, how did that Roxter do? We've got a dealer for them here in Havasu but, I don't know anyone who's purchased one. Seem kind-a neat but, in my un-educated opinion, isn't it a form of a side-by-side but, with a body on it?
Scott

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I rode to work today, not the TW though, the Shadow 1100. It's nice to ride a bike with torque and power. The TW is currently pinned behind the 1987 Honda Rebel 450, I have been messing with for a friend. I only have to put on the tank, go through a few more nut/ bolt checks then get it inspected and it is ready for the road.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ejfranz,
I googled "the good bad and ugly" trail in AZ and found what appears to be part of the Arizona Piece trail. Is that where you were? And, how did that Roxter do? We've got a dealer for them here in Havasu but, I don't know anyone who's purchased one. Seem kind-a neat but, in my un-educated opinion, isn't it a form of a side-by-side but, with a body on it?
Scott
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is part of the Arizona Peace trail. Probably one of the tougher sections. Randel is the one to ask about the Roxter. It is like a 60's CJ7 with a 2.5 L diesel tractor motor. The diesel has so much torque that you rarely use the accelerator pedal. Randel had the motor chipped so it can do secondary highway speeds. He had no issues doing the trail. He may put lockers in it at some point.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is part of the Arizona Peace trail. Probably one of the tougher sections. Randel is the one to ask about the Roxor. It is like a 60's CJ7 with a 2.5 L diesel tractor motor. The diesel has so much torque that you rarely use the accelerator pedal. Randel had the motor chipped so it can do secondary highway speeds. He had no issues doing the trail. He may put lockers in it at some point.
Hey, thanks for getting back to me on this. That AZ piece trail is supposedly around 700 miles long, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for the info on the Roxor. I've looked at them closeup a couple of times. Yeah, they mimic a CJ alright. We've owned 9 Jeeps to date. (3) CJ's, (2)YJs, (3)TJs and our present one, a '15 JKUR. I can't really see how someone might pay as much for a Roxor when the side-by-sides are so much more versatile and capable. But, I'm really not into either one of them so, no biggie.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The roxor is quiet. I hate the sound of the side by sides. If you’re a speed demon, yeah a side by side is the way to go. If you want to hear yourself think and enjoy the view, the roxor seems like a good alternative.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Darrel and I did about 45 miles riding in the KOFA yesterday. Beautiful day with temperatures in the mid 70s.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
48 Posts
Broke away from work early today to get a little riding on the mountain by the house. This is between Springville and Provo, Utah. It was about 50° and sunny. Pretty much crazy perfect weather especially for February. It should be super cold and a ton of snow but it’s warm and dry.
6B15862E-1570-4AD4-ADCC-277121858CC1.jpeg
59C0A00A-EA18-445A-96E1-BA8A1B73DED7.jpeg
34E53FBD-19AC-4A58-B9CF-E95B5E4D591C.jpeg
FECAB5E3-AA9A-4687-BD2C-32E38D40EE37.jpeg

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Dragged away cut brush with the TW then ran some of my trails. Looks like something big like a cougar dragged away something big like a mile deer a jerky zig-zag foot at a time. Guess it explains the deer leg my accompanying dogs came back with.
4B24672B-CB1D-4F64-855A-483D2ED1C2EF.jpeg
77C53913-5DA5-4B10-8128-4D1FE711115D.jpeg

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Glad I saw those drag marks by my warming hut yesterday since it is all buried under last night's snowfall. May re-visit with either ATV tired TW or snowshoes today. What a difference a day makes! Around here they say if you don't like the weather wait five minutes, it will change. Sort of like West Texas where they told me it only rains 6 inches a year but I should see it the day it rains those 6 inches.
218F2708-837B-477C-8457-8D50C9914EC3.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Leap day was awesome in Eagle Mountain, Utah. A balmy 60 F and almost no mud on the trails. In the background on the left hand side of the landscape pic you can see the new NSA data center that is being cooperatively built with Facebook (just kidding, sort of). Great day for riding, and then it snowed this morning. Hopefully, I won't have to wait for long for another good riding day.

-Sam
IMG_20200229_163352.jpg IMG_20200229_160647.jpg

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Snowed some this morning too but I rode around anyways in a very light snowfall. A mild 33 degrees when I got home
01729003-E008-44A5-AEA1-71D619B2BB9A.jpeg

Only a few miles then a hike on old footytrails needing pruning . Great day to be out.
Video is 720i.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I didn't ride - but I'm planning one! I have recently been using the US Forest Service Interactive Visitor Map to find single-track trails with GREAT success. Have a look for yourself Forest Service Visitor Map. I'm heading down to the Lake Isabel, CO area in a few weeks. Going to camp and check out two single-track trails, #1318 Snowslide and #1326 St. Charles. Just want to give it a little more time so I'm sure it's melted out.

Reactions: Andre and Fred

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did. It wasn't far. It was really cold.

Reactions: Andre

·
Registered
508 Posts
Broke away from work early today to get a little riding on the mountain by the house. This is between Springville and Provo, Utah. It was about 50° and sunny. Pretty much crazy perfect weather especially for February. It should be super cold and a ton of snow but it’s warm and dry.
View attachment 203716 View attachment 203716 View attachment 203717 View attachment 203717 View attachment 203718 View attachment 203718 View attachment 203719 View attachment 203719
TomJ,
Wow, we were very close to your area last year on a trip with our motorhome. We'd taken a new road to us that, started at I-70 and 191. We headed north to 6. Then 6 to 89 and Springville and Provo. We were carrying the TW on the back of the motorhome and towing our Jeep. But, as we were cruising that area, I thought, "man, would this be some GREAT TW RIDING area". Well, to be honest, we'd been in lots of Utah's areas and, most of that state has great riding and exploring areas. Nice pics, wish I had rode those areas with ya.
Scott

4661 - 4680 of 4935 Posts