TW200 Forum banner

4681 - 4700 of 4717 Posts

·
Registered
19,761 Posts
Just checked the interesting and potentially very helpful Forest Service Visitor Map referred to by REDDVE above.
Can't decide if I am pleased or disappointed that it is so full of errors and omissions for the areas I am familiar with. Much of my riding areas are not depicted.
I would caution that many of the route designations & road names depicted there cannot be replicated on the ground.
I plan to use it cautiously to scout potential remoter areas. Neat link otherwise.

·
Registered
13,517 Posts
Snowed some this morning too but I rode around anyways in a very light snowfall. A mild 33 degrees when I got home View attachment 203842

Only a few miles then a hike on old footytrails needing pruning . Great day to be out.
Video is 720i.

The choice is easy. Go ride in the snow or sit home and poke your eye's out!

Love your "bus stop". I bet you sit there for hours (or minutes) at a time thinking of where to ride next. I would. haha

Our 2-3 feet of snow on the ground is going through the warm day melting and the night freezing cycle. I had to pull my daughter up our street to get her out yesterday so that should tell you it's not the best TW riding conditions yet. I'll maybe make a few more desert riding trips soon until the snow melts.

·
Registered
19,761 Posts
Google Earth remains my favorite tool to supplement my planning since higher resolution will often show single track trails in open country as well as prove existence or non-existence of road connections depicted on other map sources. Relative intensity of vehicle tracks often hint at land status, existence of locked gates, and/or road closures. Attention to ground elevations can predict how level a campsite will be, dimensions of turn arounds can be approximated for those with trailers, etc.

I am starting to no longer trust newer versions of Forest Service maps. My older maps often will depict roads that still exist in the real world that have been deleted from recent editions. The roads still exist for our legal use, but our use is being"managed" by forest managers via the information we are either denied or given access to. A little hard to put an editorial stance or censorship on satellite imagery.

EDIT: Ooops, who rode today? I did.
Sunny 45 degree has melted things out, just pockets of snow where the sun don't shine .
betty boop 3:20.jpg

( game camera takes a fairly decent Selfie )

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rode to work this morning and it was around 25 celc, went home after unpacking a 40 ft container by hand to have a shower and change. The temp is now 36 celc and on the ocean side there is a cool breeze, but when I went over the dune it was seriously hot all the way to the farm.
Good thing I was on the Dub, I cooled down after a shower and came back to work only to sweat before I came into town again and cooled down again. I hope to get a bit more riding in before winter, but luckily that's only in late May.

·
Registered
432 Posts
First ride of the year for me today! Mostly sunny day and 41 degrees. Just a little ride around the neighborhood as the local jeep trail is closed until Fool's Day...

·
Registered
19,761 Posts
Rode a bit over 20 miles of a 50 mile single track network in some really nice heavy timber. Now am back at camp below the snow line recharging myself and camera batteries. Snow from Sunday night melting fast. Fantastic full moon rise from camp last night. Good to sit beside a warm fire surrounded by silence . Freezing at dawn, mid-40s single tracking in deep woods, maybe 50 at camp.
F5EC4C4E-0EE1-492F-B15C-DA07C265695B.jpeg
F17D697D-C039-4243-8B57-919DDCD69CDC.jpeg

·
Registered
387 Posts
Went for an 85 mile ride today in the high 70's. Rode to Palestine Lake to check water level just for a ride excuse. 30.117029, -82.397637 Hadn't been there in about a year or so. Encountered this mountain just before the boat ramp and couldn't resist!

This dirt road apparently ran from Lake City all the way to Jacksonville in th 1800's.
30.104519, -82.375424

·
Registered
48 Posts
TomJ,
Wow, we were very close to your area last year on a trip with our motorhome. We'd taken a new road to us that, started at I-70 and 191. We headed north to 6. Then 6 to 89 and Springville and Provo. We were carrying the TW on the back of the motorhome and towing our Jeep. But, as we were cruising that area, I thought, "man, would this be some GREAT TW RIDING area". Well, to be honest, we'd been in lots of Utah's areas and, most of that state has great riding and exploring areas. Nice pics, wish I had rode those areas with ya.
Scott
I think I saw you. I remember a motor home with a TW on the back pulling a Jeep going through town. I live in Springville and work in Provo. I even commented to my brother because I am a Jeep guy as well. Small world. This is an awesome place to play with TW’s. If you are ever back in the area hit me up.
[email protected].
Tom

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think I saw you. I remember a motor home with a TW on the back pulling a Jeep going through town. I live in Springville and work in Provo. I even commented to my brother because I am a Jeep guy as well. Small world. This is an awesome place to play with TW’s. If you are ever back in the area hit me up.
[email protected].
Tom
Hey Tom,
Well, I sent an email to the address you have listed there but, it came flying back at me saying, "undeliverable". In that email, I sent a couple of pictures of our rig and told you of our visit in your area. But, too bad it didn't go through.
Scott

·
Registered
432 Posts
Took a 55-mile trip this morning in an attempt to complete an hour twenty ride from my house to the nearest single-track. Unfortunately, I was unable to complete my journey. A main connecting road was blocked off by the local Sheriff due to a wildfire. On my way back I decided to stop at a county park to check the conditions of the river. Spoke to a friendly CPW officer who claimed a man recently pulled out a 24" brown trout. Of course, I didn't pack the rod! I inquired about the local wildfire and was informed that it was mostly contained, and likely caused by arson. The Fire Dept had reported 3 sites that appeared to be started intentionally. I really, really, don't like people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rode Willow City Loop today. The bluebonnets are in full bloom. Lots of traffic for a Wednesday. At the end of the Loop I just couldn't turn south, so I went north and picked up Llano Co Road 315 over the mountain. The sign said the road was closed at Sandy Creek, but I think it always says that. Saw a pair of bike tracks that had recently gone before me. The two water crossings were not bad. That is an awesome road. Since I hadn't planned to add that portion of road to my ride, I ran low on fuel and had to divert. I put 1.72 gallons in the tank. Too close for comfort, but what a wonderful ride. 102 mile ride and 109 miles on the tank.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well gang,
We’re presently camping on a residential lot, with two other couples, up here in nw AZ. It’s in a small, desolate, destitute town of Meadview. We brought the Jeeps up to do some exploration in the surrounding mountains and hills. But, I also brought along the TW, knowing I’d get to meander all over the place by myself.
There’s all kinds of dirt roads, trails and a couple main washes to explore. Within about 3-5 minutes of riding from camp, I was on a ridge, overlooking Lake Meade. Man, this place is loaded with fun riding. I don’t know how to link pics from my phone, which I’m on at present, to show you all where I’ve been exploring.
AnywAy, it’s a fun place. Lots of rain right now so, riding’s on a short hold.
Scott

4681 - 4700 of 4717 Posts