TW200 Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 4941 Posts

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
All I could to put Mr.Gizmo away this morning after last evening's tiring ride.
Starting at 5:30 Adam & I started by visiting some new singletracks and places neither of us have been in quite some time eventually making it back home at 11pm.
Mesh armor sure helped with the mid-90's temperatures early on and wasn't too cold at elevation after dark. Maybe low 60's by time I rolled home.
Enjoyed views in the gathering dusk atop this steep mine road so as to have the somewhat challenging adventure of getting down and out after dark.
Good times for sure despite a little haze from fr away wildfires.
View attachment 206830
Fred, do you have a video of this event? I know you do but can't find it!:D

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Admiral, here is the evening before last's video. Light balance is a bit off since we were heading into sun during daylight portion. After dark we explored a different way down connecting to a quarry for railroad ballast then cruised many miles of abandoned rail road grade. Fun riding but the camera take is boring.

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Here is another from this year's COVID Series with Adam. Going to miss that guy when he moves since it is hard to find a partner with shared interests, capabilities and enjoyment of pushing a bit hard into never before seen corners. We get the thrill of discovery with the occasional mistake. So far never a wrong turn that is too wrong.

Video as always 720i x 30fps

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Here is another from this year's COVID Series with Adam. Going to miss that guy when he moves since it is hard to find a partner with shared interests, capabilities and enjoyment of pushing a bit hard into never before seen corners. We get the thrill of discovery with the occasional mistake. So far never a wrong turn that is too wrong.

Video as always 720i x 30fps
Yes, a friend such as Adam is gonna be a person and rider hard to replace. The few times I've met him I've enjoyed his company. I love the "bobsled" like washes at the beginning of this video. Hope you took a long break at the top viewpoint. I bet the views were awesome.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Admiral, here is the evening before last's video. Light balance is a bit off since we were heading into sun during daylight portion. After dark we explored a different way down connecting to a quarry for railroad ballast then cruised many miles of abandoned rail road grade. Fun riding but the camera take is boring.

Even though it was just a couple quick glimpses of the sunset, your camera caught them wonderfully. It's been a long time since I've ridden that late to actually catch the sunset. Usually back at camp consuming medical beverages. Adam's light behind/beside you looked like the sunset. Your light setup is really bright. Bright enough to even see the rocks you are trying to avoid. Good times.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I rode to the top of Mt. Umunhum yesterday. About 45 or 50 miles round trip which is the longest TW ride I have been on in 5 years.

For the locals the big cube / old radar installation up on the hill
P1110020.JPG

looks like this close up
DSCN0261.JPG

A fun very twisty ride to the summit.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
I rode to the top of Mt. Umunhum yesterday. About 45 or 50 miles round trip which is the longest TW ride I have been on in 5 years.

For the locals the big cube / old radar installation up on the hill
View attachment 206849

looks like this close up
View attachment 206850

A fun very twisty ride to the summit.
Very nice to see you out riding. (y)

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
I agree, awesome outing and destination elime.
I never knew about the AP/FPS-24 search radar foundation on the old Almaden Air Force Staion being accessible to the public, quite a brick atop a hill!:)
rada ar:32a2a907f04637b82a324a5.jpg

What next Tony? That Neomise comet should be still visible about 9:10 tonight atop Mt. Hamilton. The lonely public relations astronomers at Lick Obseratory used to still give visitors a quick tour and view through an 8" telescope when I last visited, but that was decades ago. Still the views atop are another good excuse for a cool evening ride.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I never knew about the AP/FPS-24 search radar foundation on the old Almaden Air Force Staion being accessible to the public, quite a brick atop a hill!:)
I like the picture of the dish thing. I remember every time that thing swung around if you weren't listening to music the HiFi would humm, or buzz.

Its no longer an Air Force Station -- I remember hearing it being called something like "Okiezuna" Air Force Base. Now a days it is part of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District. Lots of really nice looking single tracks to ride only its not allowed!

I have only been on Mt. Hamilton at night once before about 50 or 55 years ago. Its a story for another time.

DSCN0267.JPG

·
Registered
691 Posts
Took out the now Duro-equipped '87 around the usual jeep trail stomping ground. Even with a 50T, I still had no problem crawling up the roughest parts. I don't usually run the trails on the weekends - but I couldn't help myself today. Boy, that Duro tire sure gets some looks! I tried to wave to several trucks, however, they did not see me as they were visibly staring at the rear tire!

·
Registered
65 Posts
A TW 200’s work is never done Had to go check the hay
Then go check on some deer stands
Then go check on one of my feeders the Coons had Tried to tear up100° Strawhat weather

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have rode every day since I got the bike, today I finished finding the end to a road I discovered and liked the other day.

Nice wide tar&chip road, lots of canopy covered riding, winding curves to zip thru.

The road was only about 10 miles long but I only met 1 vehicle, came out at the main hwy, stopped at a BBQ place and called the wife.

After getting home I told her I feel like she has turned me and the bike into a Jimmy John's service.

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
A little lakeside break around 5000 ft
a1.jpg

Then a spirited romp through the twisties back up the mountain...
a4.jpg

I enjoy to occasionally mix a little pavement into the ride with big sweeping corners and commanding views.
a5.jpg

Sees me back atop a 8,400 ft summit overlooking my camp...
a2.jpg

..then a relaxing fireside cocktail. ( Unbreakable silicone adult beverage container courtesy of Mr.& Mrs. Admiral...here's raising a toast to you two!)
a6.jpg

Nice and cool at elevation with daily thunderstorms followed by clear air comet viewing evenings.
a7.jpg

Nice rugged country to explore...
a3.jpg

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
A little lakeside break around 5000 ft View attachment 207024

Then a spirited romp through the twisties back up the mountain... View attachment 207025
I enjoy to occasionally mix a little pavement into the ride with big sweeping corners and commanding views. View attachment 207027

Sees me back atop a 8,400 ft summit overlooking my camp... View attachment 207026

..then a relaxing fireside cocktail. ( Unbreakable silicone adult beverage container courtesy of Mr.& Mrs. Admiral...here's raising a toast to you two!) View attachment 207028

Nice and cool at elevation with daily thunderstorms followed by clear air comet viewing evenings. View attachment 207029

Nice rugged country to explore... View attachment 207030
Beautiful place to ride! Nice to see the "adult beverage container" is being used occasionally.:giggle:

4901 - 4920 of 4941 Posts