TW200 Forum banner

4921 - 4940 of 4941 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I rolled over 10K miles on my TW yesterday and rolled over 10k miles on my X-Max today. I'll be rolling over 110k miles on my GS in a week or 2 !

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
I was wondering how old a fellow has to be before his friends give him an unbreakable whiskey glass.

Is it because you drop them and break them, or do you get beligerant and throw them at people? I only ask because I do both.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I think at Admiral's Fleet Maneuvers last summer they took pity on me seeing the silly armored jar I used to protect and haul around my crystal cocktail glass. Next thing I know a pair of these unbreakable goodies show up in the mail and I have been enjoying them with fond memories ever since. A mouse nibbled the other one, likely in AAA now.
Truly good people abound and Admiral and his lovely wife are but two stellar examples of folks who make the world better...or at least make a shared motorcycle ride that much better.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
After 4 days helmeted riding my head was a little sore yesterday and so figured a break was warranted.... then Adam called last night. "Want to go for a ride?" How can a guy say "no" to a buddy soon moving away even if tired and it is 90+ degrees with building thunderheads holding the promise of rain?
So off we went me on the Mr.Gizmo bike so at least Betty Boop get a break. Less than 4 miles in I dump the bike and it refuses to engage starter motor or respond to the kicker. Bump started and retreated home, jumped on Betty Boop and off we go again. A spare bike does come in handy at times.
We explored a really nice single track meandering through granite boulders and mixed forrest ending up at a ridge top rock shelter where I had have a wooden bench commanding a nice view. There we hid from the rain chatting & drinking while solving the world's problems....somehow this morning I don't remember the solutions though.
Eventually we realized it was after 10pm and time for all good things to end. With more than a fair share of Famous Grouse under my belt we carefully worked our way down the single track and called it a night.
This second ride was close enough to home that I had my dog accompany us past her bedtime.:cool:
ginger rock shelter.jpg

·
Registered
20,493 Posts

You folks probably have better trees but this must have been a good one before getting cut down. Still made a good TW slot with a bit of squeezing between enormous fir trunk and its stump. Top of trunk was over my shoulder. I was targeting aspen groves for this fall's fall colors trip but was graced with some really nice red cedar, mountain mahogany, fir in addition finding more miles of roads tunneling through the aspen.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
End of June. Warm but still signs of winter hanging on

Idaho City. I've gone to IC since the early 1990s and this is the first time I've ever seen this antique store open...so we had to stop in and take a look.

July 11. Deadwood Reservoir ride. Mrs. Admiral had to use Blue Bunny as Wilber protested to start on this day. Getting warmer.

The mist cooled us off

Lakeside lunch

A notorious water crossing on the IDBDR. Guys were camped here and said a bunch of bikes had been through. All walked their bikes. I did not walk our bikes. Splish splash, this really cooled me off.

14 July. Getting out of the house and cooling off on top of House Mtn. LO. Escaping the heat

17 July. Packer John with John. Getting hot but cool up top.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
23 July, Wilson Peak. More mountain top cooling. Made it home just minutes before the sky released its wetness.

Don't end up in a roadside ditch is what I'm thinking.

This fella ended up in a trailside ditch

29 July. It's officially hot as all get-out. Had to exercise Squirrel. His first real outing of the year.

Cooling off break at Bull Creek Bridge

This was gonna be one of the trails for the Admiral Ride gathering this year before the 19 hit.

I'm not a bridge builder but I think this one needs a little repair. Still, it was pretty solid all considering.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,930
Lori, you look great sister!! That Kris is a lucky lucky man... (y)

*** You better remind him of that once in a while... 😉

·
Registered
37 Posts
Went for a 30 mile ride today, was a good ride, found an unpaved road that was fun to play on and kick up some gravel.

On the way back I stopped at a RR crossing and thought what the hell, I'll ride on it and get back on the road in a half mile.
Train only comes twice a week and a maximum 15 mph.

Was OK for about 50 yards and I was over it, when I finally reached my exit point the Death Wing got me when crossing the rail.

Not sure that really counts against the tire as it was a shinny smooth rail.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I was confusing the Mt. Umunhum AFB up on top of the hill with the Onizuka AF Station which was in the valley just outside Sunnyvale / near Moffett Field. I thought the Umunhum was called Onizuka but now know different. They were two separate places each with their own identity.

Thanks for posting that link, Tony! That was an interesting read.

Marty

Reactions: SanDue

·
Registered
13 Posts
Today I just put my low altitude 128 jet back in my bike and didn't ride at all. It's not nearly as much fun when it's >100 degrees.
Still re-living the Rio Grande NF in Colorado two weeks ago in my head though. Three nights camping at 9500 feet and riding all day in the 50's and 60's.

Here's my routes:

and my buddy's video from Day 1.

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Anyone get out for August's Sturgeon Full Moon Ride?
I wanted to, my best buddy wanted me to, but I heard responsibilities calling louder.
Yet a bit later another buddy called and he I couldn't ignore.
" Can you help Fred, I have a flat tire?"

His new KTM 530EXC was pretty well out there in the back-country but he could get to a high spot with cell service to use the only two rescue assets he had...his cell phone & my phone number.
So off I bounced in the pick-up over the rockiest of roads to haul him and bike back to civilization.
Turned out to be a beautiful moonrise and a glorious evening. Glad I went, plus a good opportunity to chat once again about the benefits of various tire sealants and carrying an air pump as well as some tools for other issues.
Something tells me he will continue to carry my number and a cell for the next time. That what friends are for, right?

How about you folks? Temps here dropped from 90's once sun goes down to very pleasant 70's by time of moon rise, perfect night riding conditions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Went for another great ride with Admiral in the mountains south of him. More great roads, trails, sights to see, and scenery. He sure knows how to make sure the rides are a bit adventurous and scenic. Thanks again Admiral for taking the time to haul me around the countryside. Had an excellent time. another 100 mile fun run. Pilot Peak and Idaho City were part of the stops. Temps were in the low 50s to the low 80s. Up high was perfect tee shirt weather.
Idaho City 1 (10).jpg
Idaho City 1 (33).jpg
Idaho City 1 (46).jpg
Idaho City 1 (62).jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
It hit 100 degrees and 99 percent humidity today. After work I cooled off by riding down to see our tax dollars at work
l have lived on this road 40 plus years seen the water get over the road maybe twice. The county Put in a new box culvert and built the road up 15+ feet.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It hit 100 degrees and 99 percent humidity today. After work I cooled off by riding down to see our tax dollars at work View attachment 207400 View attachment 207401 l have lived on this road 40 plus years seen the water get over the road maybe twice. The county Put in a new box culvert and built the road up 15+ feet.
Well that should do it! Perhaps that was (part of) a Federal Grant and the local politicians had to do something with (part of) the money for a good show. ;)

Maybe they will buy some Scag mowers for the maintenance crew!

Marty

·
Registered
936 Posts
Took a little ride yesterday morning through the wine country I live in. 50 mile loop and probably 50 wineries. Many were offering food, which they MUST do in order to open their tasting rooms. (Don't ask me, it's California!) Didn't stop to eat, I really don't wanna expose myself to others, but I did stop for a smoke under a bit of shade I shared with a dog catcher. Just this one photo of my bike I took to post on facebook so my wife knew where I was. (Took off before she awoke)

4921 - 4940 of 4941 Posts