TW200 Forum banner

5081 - 5100 of 5123 Posts

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Still riding but taking a mountain top lunch break.

Must be 40 degrees by now, mid-twenties with frozen trails when I started. Once in the sun the moist sand melts and starts to hold tire tracks. New Shinko 241 Golden Boy leaves trials tire imprints that look in stark contrast to the gnarly ATV prints left by rear. Golden Boy performing well these first few hours.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
The tan bike doesn’t look like a tdub to me lol. That huge rear tire and klr-looking front fender throw me off. Looks like a tank though!
Very ironic you mentioning a tank. We actually drove by several tank gunnery ranges. For the record mine does not have a main gun ha ha

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Was atop a mtn peak today and found this geocache in rocky alcove left by campers over thanksgiving adjacent to their fire ring.
Guess I’m not the only one not locked down by a disease so deadly you need a test to see if you have it or not.😎

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Was atop a mtn peak today and found this geocache in rocky alcove left by campers over thanksgiving adjacent to their fire ring.
Guess I’m not the only one not locked down by a disease so deadly you need a test to see if you have it or not.😎 View attachment 209997 View attachment 209998
That is an awesome note and awesome place to camp. (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
I added a nice note and a book of paper matches then sealed everything back up, replaced in alcove and went on my way. Impressive camp but I like a little more amenities than that dramatic peak provided. Plentiful juniper and pinion firewood was convenient here a thousand feet or so lower.

Still exploring new stuff today some miles to NW . Weather is seasonal norm, thirties and forties at trail riding speeds is not too cold when in sunshine with low humidity. Imagine racing the setting sun on farm roads from wherever if I pop out late might be another matter. Good exploring but some begs a partner.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Did Admiral not give you a lesson on riding through tumble weeds.

Reactions: Ken and admiral

·
Registered
351 Posts
He gave a lesson about tall and thick clusters, but not about the tumbleweeds that hide badger holes. I finally dropped into one hidden well that swallowed the front wheel and ended up throwing me over the handle bars. Funny thing is I did a complete flip and landed on my feet.
20201210_150102.jpg
Admiral doesn't charge extra for the bonus thrill rides.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Maybe Oldworld124 was distracted during the pre-flight briefing by thinking of what type of chain, oil, handlebar risers, seat, front tire to use in addition to proper fork level oil. When thinking about these things I can certainly understand missing the tumbleweed hiding badger hole lesson.
Besides, we had bigger things to avoid and worry about on the trail like:
Springfield Nuclear Power Plant with Homer at the controls

The life-size wildlife landmine laying operators

and the numerous BLM (not BLM) contracted refreshment cooling stations

Who had time to worry about tumbleweeds and badger holes!

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Fired up Betty Boop to go see what the dogs were barking at earlier this morning.

OK, understandable. Dogs are forgiven. I'm parked right where the bobcat was.

So the Deputy Dogs got their TW run touring around on local trails while I removed occasional downed branches & rocks. We did stop to move the observed trials judge's chair from off the course below the Judges Observation Deck. Darn critters and wind frequently knock chairs and small tables off.

Just teasing, I'm usually best at riding between the rocks, not over them.
That is just a lil' deck atop a nice outcrop with a nice view...nice view also of a deer trail just below & have posted pics before of cougar tracks in snow. atop deck. Maybe they like the view for a different reason.

Peak in distance has this fire lookout tower in dis-use. Still still open to the public it has been a ride destination for a big handful of you Forum friends who come visit for an "easy ride".

So it was a beautiful day for a ride chasing the dogs.

Low to mid thirties, mile high elevation.
The transplanted 223cc TTR motor with stock TW carb makes good power in these colder temps.

Riding conditions vary by elevation and sun exposure. Foreground melts in afternoon sun to muck while deeper snow on horizon can quickly become unridable. All sorts of fun in between. :cool:

·
Registered
378 Posts
48 degrees F on 12/19 (very rare at this latitude) and sun threatening to poke out...I just had to fire up the TW and get the oil out the upper puke hole. Took the ZS for a warm up ride to sort out new air filter, plug, oil, and refurbished throttle cables. (Moose Universals did not work). It was all good...so nice I got home and jumped on the '05 ZX-10 and ran her up to speed. Ooooh can't wait for track day season.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Short adventure today to see if I remember how to snow ride with the new Shinko241 today. Not the best snow tire, but no big surprise. Riding the unpacked shoulder staying close to the Betty Boop orange & blue signs seemed best.

Doing pretty well so far following the orange & blue...

Pretty out there, but also a pretty good chance of dumping the bike. So I call it quits above the snow line.

Canyon bottom was much more relaxing.

Whether it was stumbling around in the snow or leaping from boulder to boulder my Forma Adventure boots once again turned in reliable service. Warm, dry, comfortable & confidence inspiring they are getting a bit beat up after over a hundred off-road rides.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Went for a Christmas Day Trail Ride with my dogs. Only a handful of miles before a blustery front brought first snow then changed to a light rain. Low thirties.

Hope more of you took an opportunity to get out, embrace life and work off some of the rich seasonal food.

Dogs got their exercise at least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rode mine. ;)
Washington State
With the windchill factor, it was about 15*
But with the sun brightly shining, felt more like 25, maybe warmer.
Sure was good to get out.:D
NOT YET BUT CONSIDERING A LOW MILES 657. 1988 TW WITH ROTTED OUT GAST TANK AND A FEW OTHER MINOR ISSUES FOR 1200 DOLLARS OR IS THAT TOO MUCH?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I passed by the TW in the garage. I had to ride the Spirit today. It's a good thing too. Those crazy drivers were going way to fast for the TW to be on the open road. I did ride the TW to work on one of the nice days last week though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I made a Christmas wish for either good riding weather or a garage for Mr. Putter. Instead, I received a note in my stocking that due to Covid, wishes are in short supply. It seems that my wish was passed over in favor of a little girl down the block, who wished for a white Christmas. We got 6 to 10 inches in a blizzard Wednesday evening.

5081 - 5100 of 5123 Posts