TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
5301 - 5317 of 5317 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Snagged a hundred miles or more on the VanVan today. Lovely 55° springtime day. Springtime in sunny southern Oregon is almost as nice as the rest of the year.

Had to pick up a hope chest/ trunk that the Boss fell in love with at Goodwill in a nearby town. Costco was nearby and I had $300 and an empty box plus saddlebags. Nice ride.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,317 Posts
Swing Arm City, 40 to 60-ish temperatures last 2 days. Arrived after rain and snow.
Atop one of maybe hundred or so hill climbs . TW did amazingly well in the loose Marcos Shale.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,317 Posts
My solo camp… now in Moab for the TW gathering , lots of nice folks Went for a little ride under full moon. Great stuff

·
Registered
23,317 Posts
My white van & camp visible in photo center 1/4 mile beyond this awesome escarpment. If Ken Block can race up it then so can I…high marking the left side and ascending right side to summit was but some of the exciting experiences..
For example I shot this photo after riding up a similar but higher escapement to a place I could pausepause

Mountain Ecoregion Slope Bedrock Terrain

·
Registered
23,317 Posts
You can get lost for a day or so there but also adjacent Escalante Gramd Staircase NP
has more civilized TW riding like into Cathedral Valley and Burr Trail.
Factory Butte is mtn in background and scenic graded roads link that with Govlin Valley and edge of the San Rafael Swell we have group based from in past.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
We'll, here in sunny southern Oregon, this was the first day of MESH RIDING SEASON!

Don't get me wrong. I love riding in cold weather, and I am definitely a four season rider. But that cold weather riding gear is so darned heavy and bulky.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We'll, here in sunny southern Oregon, this was the first day of MESH RIDING SEASON!

Don't get me wrong. I love riding in cold weather, and I am definitely a four season rider. But that cold weather riding gear is so darned heavy and bulky.

Thanks for the reminder to dig out my Joe Rocket mesh riding jacket. Spring has sprung!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
After last ride being about 2 months ago, I got the last minute itch yesterday around noon. Rolled a 227 miler, and woulda thought it was my first ride on a TW…..seat. I have a gel pad on it, and wear padded bicycle shorts with good comfy results normally, but not yesterday. My hind end wasn’t comfy. Guess it’s getting used to NOT riding.

Had a great (late) lunch at Lacy’s Kountry Store in Moniac, GA. Turkey Patty Melt w/Onion Rings. While there chatted with a gentleman that happened to know @Scooterbrained. Starting to wonder if there’s anyone local that doesn’t know him! 😁

Lot of rain in recent weeks, but the Osceola National Forest dirt roads were in good shape. Occasional puddles and potholes, but generally smooth and dust free. Still managed to find a bit of mud though. Saw 2 snakes, a Bobcat, few Turkeys, few Turtles, the usual many species of birds.

Temps started in the low 70’s, ended in upper 50’s. Got home little after 1AM. Averaged 92mpg. 👍🏻

Didn’t take many pics.

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky

Plant Sky Cloud Automotive lighting Road surface

·
Super Moderator
15,705 Posts
Well, this is going to put a damper on riding for a bit! Just because I live in Frosty Hollow doesn't have to make it so. Not this time of year anyway. Ugh!
As for the temperature...one could take a wild guess that it's not in the 80s...here!
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Snow

·
Super Moderator
15,705 Posts
A couple of days ago I went for another "snow depth" check ride. The only snow at this elevation (4,000-6,000ft) was in the shadows of the north-facing hillsides. Still cool but rideable for sure. Sunday we're supposed to hit 80 F. degrees. Mrs. Admiral and I are gonna skip church and go riding and get some fresh wind in the face spirituality.
Cloud Sky Mountain Wheel Vehicle

Not far from the picture I discovered these BLM/Forest Service swimming pools. Yes, I know they're not really swimming pools. I'm guessing a portable water source for fire hoses. I was wondering what they were doing here this time of year as there ain't no threat of forest fires yet. A short distance away I saw what I thought was a trail but on closer inspection, I could see marks of tools (shovels, picks, etc), which made the trail. So my conclusion was the pools and the cut line was either for training the fire crews or still in place from a prescribed burn. I suspect training as I've seen a lot of FS trucks in the area recently.
Tree Plant Road surface Asphalt Wood

Anyway, the riding weather was better than it was a month ago.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Snow

5301 - 5317 of 5317 Posts