TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I came across a 1995 TW in rough shape on Craiglist for a pretty good price. It had a few aftermarket additions including front and rear Cycleracks. I brought it home, stripped it down and rehabbed it so it was functionally sound and actually looked pretty good. In doing so I removed the Cycleracks and sold them to a friend.
This was one of those wintertime stay busy projects which only lasted a couple of months before I re-listed it on Craigslist. Shortly after listing it I got an email from a guy who commented “ That bike has been passed around more than my ex-wife, but she still has her rack!”

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My TDub came with a few items I would not have initially considered....a windscreen and cyclerack rear rack. I have come to appreciate both. The cyclerack seems to be able to carry “anything.” I added a black plastic “16oz coke bottle carrier” I nabbed from the Coke delivery guy at our shop. The Coca Cola distributor sends us our product in these things. Works great for toting stuff. Removes with wing nuts in 2 minutes if not needed Mesh net over it allows 2 full standard grocery bags to ride securely. I take it to the market in the city instead of my pickup so I don’t have to wait for parking.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
...rear rack that is :)

Looking at the Tusk and Cycleracks and want Large. Any others out there that a Milkcrate would mount nicely?

TIA
...rear rack that is :)

Looking at the Tusk and Cycleracks and want Large. Any others out there that a Milkcrate would mount nicely?

TIA
I have a tusk rack with a milk crate attached. works great. I use it a lot for trips to the store, actually can get quite a lot in it and use a bungee net over the top. Also have a insulated shopping bag
tw200.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha TW200;2011 Suzuki DL650
4 Posts
Just installed the tusk rack a few weeks ago. So far no complaints. I use it mostly to hold camera gear with a bungee net With that said I would like to be able to add a monokey plate on it to put a case on the back,(give the cameras a bit more protection). In order to do that I would most likely need to drill some holes to attach(racks made with the tubes would need some mod as well. Depending on what you want to do with the rack it may or may not be the right choice. For me it seems to work and the next step is finding a topcase combo that I can use with it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Personally, I went with the cycleracks. They are local to my area and I like supporting local businesses. I have not overwhelmed mine, but have constantly put 20lbs with no problem
When I bought my first Cyclerack it was before I even lived here. I called to order and asked if I could just pick it up when I was in town for the weekend. One of the owners actually met me in Kuna because road construction made getting to their shop complicated. One of the nicest guys I've ever met.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just scored a deal on a used Happy Trails front. And now hit the magic Amazon button on the Tusk rear rack. Good price FYI. Have the mostly useless stock Yammy rack I’ll be happy take off.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Really beautiful fabrication job, Scott. Very sharp.
Thank you for the very nice comment. It was fun creating those two racks. I've been sort-a a self taught fabricator (along with being a fireman for over 35 years) 50-55 years. Coming up with a strong and capable rear rack, WITHOUT tying into the passenger foot pegs, was a tad bit of a challenge. I had a couple of ways to go about it and chose the one you see in the pics. Right after I'd completed both racks, I purchased an old use oven, and a Harbor Freight Powder Coating gun and, did my first powder coat job. That was a kick in the butt.
Scott

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just installed my Cycleracks and love it. It holds my 40 liter overnight backpack perfectly. It's US made, and I agree that the owners are super nice as I had a conversation with one of them as well. I do notice that I can hit my leg on it when getting on the bike, but that'll be something I'll get used to. I'm also thinking of putting a fuel bag under it to utilize the small space between the rack and the tail end. So, some folks have actually "broken the subframe" of their TW with it?! How can it do that? Thanks. P

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maybe I'm getting old and don't know what I'm talking about
But the best rack to put on the back of any bike would be
...................,.... Jane russell...............................................
might not be able to carry a whole lot but your ears will stay warm
Mike from NC

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just installed my Cycleracks and love it. It holds my 40 liter overnight backpack perfectly. It's US made, and I agree that the owners are super nice as I had a conversation with one of them as well. I do notice that I can hit my leg on it when getting on the bike, but that'll be something I'll get used to. I'm also thinking of putting a fuel bag under it to utilize the small space between the rack and the tail end. So, some folks have actually "broken the subframe" of their TW with it?! How can it do that? Thanks. P
I never broke a subframe but broke the rear brackets on both my Cycleracks. To be fair, they were loaded REALLY heavy at the time on long, rought rides. I just rewelded them myself.

IIRC, there was a member here that had developed a 3D printed brace that went between the bottom of the rack and the fender (subframe).

·
Registered
439 Posts
I never broke a subframe but broke the rear brackets on both my Cycleracks. To be fair, they were loaded REALLY heavy at the time on long, rought rides. I just rewelded them myself. View attachment 210537

IIRC, there was a member here that had developed a 3D printed brace that went between the bottom of the rack and the fender (subframe).
I have been trying to track that printed brace down for six months

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm sure it could be approximated with a block of wood.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
I was half asz thinking about trying to do something with a hockey puck
There is a forum member (old w/??) who had done the support with a hockey puck.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts