TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked this on the TW FB group and I jumped in, waiting for replies...but then I thought, "Go use the forum...if everybody uses Facebook, the forum will dry up and blow away."
So...I has me a '99. Nothing wrong with the speedo and stuff except that it has no trip meter. I've always used the trip meter more than a fuel gauge...and remembering fill-up mileage or remembering to snap a pic of the odometer at every fill-up just doesn't work. It's a silly little thing, but this is the first bike I've had without one, and it's driving me nuts...

So...I'd consider one of these cheap replacements.... (Yeah, I know...cheap = cheap)... But maybe someone has tried them and turns out they're just as good as anything else....?

Fill me in!

· Registered
170 Posts
Several times members have asked about the ones offered on EBay. From what I remember the only concern was that they were in kilometers. Judging by the flag next to your name, I'm guessing that wouldn't be a concern in your case.
I have a 1993 TW, and the lack of a fuel gauge along with the lack of a tripmeter is one of the most annoying and ridiculous things about the bike. Leave off one or the other, but not both!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
1989 TW200
59 Posts
I have an 89 and this was my solution for an Tripometer:

Cycplus GPS bike computer:

www.amazon.com

Amazon.com : CYCPLUS GPS Bike Computer, Wireless Cycling Computer with Automatic Backlight, Bicycle Speedometer Odometer with Waterproof and Lager Battery, Provide Professional Data Analysis : Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com : CYCPLUS GPS Bike Computer, Wireless Cycling Computer with Automatic Backlight, Bicycle Speedometer Odometer with Waterproof and Lager Battery, Provide Professional Data Analysis : Sports & Outdoors
www.amazon.com

I love it. I do a hard power-down reset each time I fill my tank. You need to turn it on each ride, but it powers-down automatically without resetting the tripometer. Lots of other functions also - including a very nice digital speedo and an altimeter. It is rechargeable and is GPS based = NO WIRING. Love it.

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
I have an 89 and this was my solution for an Tripometer:

Cycplus GPS bike computer:

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

I love it. I do a hard power-down reset each time I fill my tank. You need to turn it on each ride, but it powers-down automatically without resetting the tripometer. Lots of other functions also - including a very nice digital speedo and an altimeter. It is rechargeable and is GPS based = NO WIRING. Love it.
I got one of these this summer as well. I like it because it's small yet easy to read and I can switch it from bike to bike. Battery operated is no biggy since hard-wiring it would make changing bikes more of a hassle.

· Registered
1989 TW200
72 Posts
I just bought one of the speedometer replacements off Ebay. For $35 I might as well be the guinea pig. The picture shows it comes with a trip meter, which was most important since I don't have a good way to track mileage otherwise.
I'll show it off when it eventually gets here. Delivery is estimated between Oct 28 and Dec 8th. :eek:

· Registered
2,465 Posts
I thought about buying one of these cheap speedometers just so I could see
100 on the clock going down the road...... Lol

· Registered
2,465 Posts
Even in km you might not get the needle to touch 100!!
When I want to actually go fast down the mountain
I just kick in in neutral and pick up about 4 mph....
It's bad when you are faster without the engine...., Lol
Yes I know this is not good for the bike ....., But it's so smooth and fun .....

· Registered
2021 TW; 2016 Honda NC700X
946 Posts
When I want to actually go fast down the mountain
I just kick in in neutral and pick up about 4 mph....
It's bad when you are faster without the engine...., Lol
Yes I know this is not good for the bike ....., But it's so smooth and fun .....
You're kidding, right?

Because, starting off in neutral, means, if you have to use the engine...you can ONLY go in 1 or 2 on your way to 5. If you're rolling at, say, 60, and you pull in the clutch and start winding the gearbox up to high gear...that first bump is going to move the clutch basket from 1200 rpm (idle speed) to probably, over 18,000 rpm. You'll probably break the gear pawl and maybe the clutch basket will disintegrate.

I've taken a few hills with Georgia Overdrive...put the bike in high, hold in the clutch for the duration. I haven't felt the need, but I could get a Velcro strap to hold the clutch lever. Just let it roll. You want the engine idling, to lubricate the transmission parts.

Frankly, it's more work than it's worth. At a 7 percent grade, gravity will take me down at about 45-50 rpm. I can pay less attention to various events and traffic, by letting the clutch out in high, and easing gas on. A long way from full throttle, what with gravity helping, but I have the engine to give braking or more kick.

· Registered
2,465 Posts
You're kidding, right?

Because, starting off in neutral, means, if you have to use the engine...you can ONLY go in 1 or 2 on your way to 5. If you're rolling at, say, 60, and you pull in the clutch and start winding the gearbox up to high gear...that first bump is going to move the clutch basket from 1200 rpm (idle speed) to probably, over 18,000 rpm. You'll probably break the gear pawl and maybe the clutch basket will disintegrate.

I've taken a few hills with Georgia Overdrive...put the bike in high, hold in the clutch for the duration. I haven't felt the need, but I could get a Velcro strap to hold the clutch lever. Just let it roll. You want the engine idling, to lubricate the transmission parts.

Frankly, it's more work than it's worth. At a 7 percent grade, gravity will take me down at about 45-50 rpm. I can pay less attention to various events and traffic, by letting the clutch out in high, and easing gas on. A long way from full throttle, what with gravity helping, but I have the engine to give braking or more kick.
I said it wasn't good for the bike.
Holding the clutch in you still have drag .....
Top the mountain and hit neutral while at a lower speed .
Don't go back into gear at the bottom till you have coasted down to a low speed .
If the transmission burns out .
well that's what xt225 replacement engine's are for :p

The bike exists to serve me I don't live to serve the bike .
But yes I often let the engine idle to lube the transmission .
I don't serve the bike but I do love it...... Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts