TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's the DRZ400SM...but singles just don't do it for me. I'm all about the inline twins, especially the oldschool ones that were perfectly balanced and last forever. (Or at least a few hundred thousand miles, whichever comes first)

All we need is

350cc ~ 30-40 HP. Enough to work with without pushing the engine to its limits and quickly wearing it out. Nice tall overdrive gear for the highway to further prevent excess engine wear.

Nice big front disk

Good tractable tires

Weigh no more than 300-320 pounds

Top notch traction. Top notch braking. Beautiful agile handling. Rock-solid reliability. Adequate power to work with even in the mountains. THE BEST TWISTED MOUNTAIN ROAD BIKE IN THE WORLD!

I wish I was mechanically inclined enough to just make a custom build myself, but I'm just a big dummy. So instead, I have to sit here and bitch hoping someone makes one.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Those dukes are badass! I intend to get some rims and tires so I can make my 690 supermoto for winter time.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I know there's the DRZ400SM...but singles just don't do it for me. I'm all about the inline twins, especially the oldschool ones that were perfectly balanced and last forever. (Or at least a few hundred thousand miles, whichever comes first)

All we need is

350cc ~ 30-40 HP. Enough to work with without pushing the engine to its limits and quickly wearing it out. Nice tall overdrive gear for the highway to further prevent excess engine wear.

Nice big front disk

Good tractable tires

Weigh no more than 300-320 pounds

Top notch traction. Top notch braking. Beautiful agile handling. Rock-solid reliability. Adequate power to work with even in the mountains. THE BEST TWISTED MOUNTAIN ROAD BIKE IN THE WORLD!

I wish I was mechanically inclined enough to just make a custom build myself, but I'm just a big dummy. So instead, I have to sit here and bitch hoping someone makes one.

LOL IMO you kind of just described the DRZ, aside from it being a single, I'd say it pretty much fits your description above... That said, it would be nice to see some more SM's, or maybe a RELIABLE, Japanese version of Aprilia's totally badass SXV 5.5 V-twin beastmoto. A reliable Japanese, 65 horsepower, 300 pound, six speed, fuel injected V-twin supermoto. I must admit that would be nice. That being said, I'm pretty darn happy with the DRZ, especially if you consider price, reliability, long and stable production run, possible modifications, etc. I think it's a fantastic package.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
That 390 Duke does look like it'd be a blast, too.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
This is going to look awesome!...check this thread on adv rider out...i didn't read through the whole thing but it sounds like to convert you need...wheels, rotors, tires, sprockets, a shorter SMC kickstand, caliper relocation bracket

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818358

That bike is a total boss! Damn it you guys are making me drool with all these sweet hooligan motos. Another nice option IMO is the DR650 with the 780 big bore kit and a sweet SM setup. The torque that thing makes at like 4k RPM is just insane...

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I would kill for nearly any street legal ktm 500cc - 250cc, that's you're grade A supermoto

450smr?

http://www.ktm.com/us/supermoto/450-smr/highlights.html#.UV9ZXaN5mK0

not sure they can be made street legal but def an awesome machine

LOL IMO you kind of just described the DRZ, aside from it being a single, I'd say it pretty much fits your description above... That said, it would be nice to see some more SM's, or maybe a RELIABLE, Japanese version of Aprilia's totally badass SXV 5.5 V-twin beastmoto. A reliable Japanese, 65 horsepower, 300 pound, six speed, fuel injected V-twin supermoto. I must admit that would be nice. That being said, I'm pretty darn happy with the DRZ, especially if you consider price, reliability, long and stable production run, possible modifications, etc. I think it's a fantastic package.

^^^what he said...the drz400sm is a great bike all around bike...other than that a wr250x, wr426 or wr450 (the last 2 would have to be made street legal) are probably the best reliable choices aside from the drz

the sxv450/550 are great bikes...the ktm exc bikes make great sumo platforms but require more frequent maintenance intervals...their larger smc bikes are better choices for less maintenance but they are also heavier...mrbracket has a nice Husaberg...i went with a husqvarna sm510r (they also make a sm450r) but like the ktms they need more frequent maintenance...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts