TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some information.

I've always liked the TW200 but i don't own one currently. I currently have the R1200GSA. I love dual sport bikes. I love my BMW its a great bike but i can't do everything off road in it that i would like too. I like the low center of gravity of the TW, and the big fat tires, great gas mileage, and street legal. So thats why i like the TW. I also want a bike that i can intraduce riding to for my wife (she has never riddin). So i start looking for TWs!

It is very easy for me to find TWs from 2003-2010 and newer with less than or around 5k miles on them and they want less than 2k $ for them. Soooo Why are so many people getting rid of them with next to zero mileage or wear? Is there something i don't know?

I know its slow... I know the gas tank is small.... I know its not a sport bike..... Whats the deal?

Anyways I just wanted to get with the community who spends the most time on them. Thanks for you help.

Brett

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Looking for some information.

I've always liked the TW200 but i don't own one currently. I currently have the R1200GSA. I love dual sport bikes. I love my BMW its a great bike but i can't do everything off road in it that i would like too. I like the low center of gravity of the TW, and the big fat tires, great gas mileage, and street legal. So thats why i like the TW. I also want a bike that i can intraduce riding to for my wife (she has never riddin). So i start looking for TWs!

It is very easy for me to find TWs from 2003-2010 and newer with less than or around 5k miles on them and they want less than 2k $ for them. Soooo Why are so many people getting rid of them with next to zero mileage or wear? Is there something i don't know?

I know its slow... I know the gas tank is small.... I know its not a sport bike..... Whats the deal?

Anyways I just wanted to get with the community who spends the most time on them. Thanks for you help.

Brett

Although this is just my opinion it does apply to why I purchased one. I used to ride motorcycles when I was much younger and had a ton of fun but I did not have a healthy respect for the dangers. As I started my family and career my priorities changed. Blah, blah, blah, the years passed, children grew, and my career is settled and on track. I want a motorcycle again but it has been so long and I was not exactly responsible on one when I was younger. So I want something easy to ride "confidence builder" and not too much money "in case this is really just a midlife crisis" and most importantly "something without too much power". I started researching different bikes and landed on this forum and saw the passion that everybody had for this little bike. I also noticed the versatility of the TW and felt it could have a long term place in my hunting camp and then gifted to my son for his first vehicle "he has been riding since he was 9". In short it is a perfect bike for introducing or reintroducing someone to the world of motorcycles. Now to the plethora of used bikes you were asking about. These bikes are under-powered and not really suited for daily high speed long distance travel. Once people gain confidence in their abilities and want to venture farther from home "interstate travel" there are better bikes for that. So people sell the trusty TW for a bigger bike. Circle of life I suppose "but they will be back"!:p

Tom

·
Registered
976 Posts
The best I can surmise, a lot of these low-mileage for sale bikes are sold for one of two reasons:

1) The PO bought a new TW for the low price of admission, and quickly found out that they don't like riding a motorcycle after all.

2) The PO bought a new TW for the low price of admission, fell in love with riding, but can only have one bike and soon came to lust after a more powerful steed.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tom. I enjoyed reading your insights. So mechanically you don’t think there are any huge hiccups? I mean the bike has hardly changed at all in 30 years! That’s why I keep seeing so many for sale for next to nothing, practically new, and I’m thinking….. Why do people get rid of these?

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Thanks Tom. I enjoyed reading your insights. So mechanically you don’t think there are any huge hiccups? I mean the bike has hardly changed at all in 30 years! That’s why I keep seeing so many for sale for next to nothing, practically new, and I’m thinking….. Why do people get rid of these?
They just want something more powerful. I think maybe they are over compensating for something else:rolleyes::D

Tom

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
A bit of a hoarder here. Two TW's a 1500 Vtwin and a goldwing. Is a bit much, but if a friend wants to go with me on a hike in the country the extra TW is nice to have around. Just wish my wife would get on it and enjoy a slow jaunt through the woods. As for the Vtwin, good for going on local rides with a few different biker groups. If I want to hit the open road and do a few states that goldwing an trailer is the ticket.

As for selling a TW, for me, never. But like being said before, folks pick one up, get used to it and decide they need more power to pass up the roses along the way. Having a TW is belonging to a group that is happy with the little things in life, at 66 I am there. After today getting a letter that I am clean from cancer, life has a new first day.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The best I can surmise, a lot of these low-mileage for sale bikes are sold for one of two reasons:

1) The PO bought a new TW for the low price of admission, and quickly found out that they don't like riding a motorcycle after all.

2) The PO bought a new TW for the low price of admission, fell in love with riding, but can only have one bike and soon came to lust after a more powerful steed.
X-2.............. In 06 my wife and I were getting the off road bug.. Since 1966 I've owned road bikes.. Well we found 2 06 dubs.. Fell in love during the test ride so we bought them ! Next day we went to bring them home and the first thing the salesperson said to my wife was....... I bet your hubby will grow bored with it in a month.. That was 12,000 miles ago, still love them.. Side note.. I did buy a new 09 trump America. And my wife has a 650 yammie Maxum.. Now we can choose between the need for speed and pure "FUN" of the dubs.. The best of two worlds.. OMM.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
A bit of a hoarder here. Two TW's a 1500 Vtwin and a goldwing. Is a bit much, but if a friend wants to go with me on a hike in the country the extra TW is nice to have around. Just wish my wife would get on it and enjoy a slow jaunt through the woods. As for the Vtwin, good for going on local rides with a few different biker groups. If I want to hit the open road and do a few states that goldwing an trailer is the ticket.

As for selling a TW, for me, never. But like being said before, folks pick one up, get used to it and decide they need more power to pass up the roses along the way. Having a TW is belonging to a group that is happy with the little things in life, at 66 I am there. After today getting a letter that I am clean from cancer, life has a new first day.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a great Note on the cancer Max. But that’s what I noticed with my GSA. I love riding it and taking it off road. But mainly... i just tut along old trails and what not and go camping. and it does fall occasionally and when I get in to the Sugar sand it’s a pain. But that’s why I wanted to get something a little lighter. The Driving that Mule through the rough stuff begins to become way more work than fun. But it’s a great touring bike and can haul the wife and all our gear comfortably.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Its just the love for the bike. Sure its slow. Really slow.... But, it does great in the trails and it never gets old the way people are amazed by it. It handles like no other with that tire too.

Sent from Android for Nook Tablet using Taptalk

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
You could easily ask your question another way and get the same answer. Why are so many TWs owned by older riders, shorter people and woman?

Once you get the go fast mentality out of your system the TW becomes a very worthy steed. Easy to ride, light weight, low seat, very nimble off road, cheap to maintain and fast enough to be legal on the roads. At 62 I still like the motorcycle fresh air and freedom and I love the ability to get off the beaten path of some trails like when I first started riding but I don't have any need for speed or to get anywhere fast. The TW is just like an old dog. Perfectly happy sleeping over in the corner but ready to go when the weather and timing is right. I find a 50 mile ride of mixed pavement and some trails is just about right and the TW does not lend itself to all day excursions on these older bones.

GaryL

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think a lot of people buy these as cabin bike or camping bikes, then they sit and the "New" E-gas buggers them up. Many just don't get used...These used to be around $3000 new before Yamaha jacked the price way up.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Lots of people buy toys then find they don't want them for a number of reasons. No mechanical reason TWs are easy to find in your area, consider yourself lucky.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts