TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked at a Yamaha shop in the mid 80's when the BW's and Tw's came out and really enjoyed taking the demo's for a spin. I was about 25 at the time and just couldn't buy something so "small" because what would my buddies say? I turned 50 this year and have finally outgrown the "what will my buddies say" stage of my life. All that being said, I enjoy the TW for it's ease of riding, the ability to go where my KLR650 won't, its simplicity, and its fuel economy. My buddies can point and laugh all they want, I'm having a blast with it. What about you? Why do you have a TW?

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I took my MSF course in 2007 they put me on a TW200. The TW was so fun to ride I have always wanted one. At that time I already owned my Buell so I wasn't in the market for a bike. However, since then I would periodically check local listings just to see if a deal came up. The pricing up here in the NW is pretty high and they sell fast. Recently, a '95 with <100 miles on it popped up on Craigslist that wasn't too far from where I live so I checked it out and now it's mine.

For me, it's more of a toy than a form of primary transportation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes..I'm turning 50 in a few months and just bought my first one. I actually sold my BMW S1000rr for this...go figure. My bikes over the years have been in this order, with a break in between some...

Yamaha Virago 2 years

Kawasaki 600R 1 Year

Yamaha FJ 1200 5 Years

Yamaha FZR 1000 5 Years

Kawasaki ZX 9 3 Years

BMW S1000rr 2 Years

Yamaha TW200 Now

Of all these bikes, my favorite one was the FJ...But this TW is growing on me

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Copied from my "About me":

I hadn't ridden on two wheels since I was a kid. Even then, I thought that I was better on four wheels as opposed to two, but I was looking for something to take as I get more into hunting. Here in the Peoples Republic of WA, you can hardly ride anywhere on a quad, as compared to say Idaho. My uncles and others at hunt camp have Fat Cats & Big Wheels, so I was looking that direction. At only 5'6", the tall skinny tire bikes were never interesting to me. Luckily, someone on Craigslist selling a TW made 'big wheel' a tag in their post. One click and, a "What is THAT!" expression lit the light bulb in my brain. After some research and drooling, I found my 2004 mule, and I love it! As the sport bikes zoom by with a rider wearing jeans and a t-shirt, as I hear the waaamp, uuuggh, waaamp of a 2 stroke with a rider on the trail that has to stand on his pegs all day, I am content with my choice of bike, riding style and speed.

I was previously unaware of the regulations regarding licensing, riding, being plated vs. ORV tags. Fate led me to the TW, I am sure. Now, on my TW, I can commute to work, make runs to town, ride on National Forest Service roads as well as the trails. Adventure...here I come.

I found this forum, as well as the thread on ADV and some others, I have been so impressed with the TW showing on the net. People are so helpful and friendly to one another. I really hope to meet as many of you as possible in person on rides. See you on the trail!

·
Registered
503 Posts
for me, the TW is my 'big bike'. I spent many years messing with the small Honda's. While attending a bike show on my CT-90, the TW came up on my radar. Looked for an acceptable deal for about 6 months till I found one, and pulled the trigger. Haven't rode the lil' CT-90 since. Not sure I will ever again. TIM

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Back in 06 my wife wanted a quad, but I didn't think a quad would work in our area... So I started looking, found a cute little dual purpose bike that looked fun.. AKA the dubster... I went looking at our local shops.. First one didn't even want to mess with it.. So I went to another.. "BINGO" Out front sat a sexy blue 06... Well I called my wife who was on her way home to stop in to the dealer.. She showed up and wanted to ride it.................... "LOVE" at first ride.. Dealer asked me if I wanted it.. I said WELL I need two...... He smiled and told me he had another just inside the shop........ SOLD.. We realllllllllllllllllllllly love these little guys..... OMM.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I had a Honda XR250L that I proceeded to bore to a 280, it was alot of fun. Then I bought a Montesa trials bike and it was great off road but no exploring off of local roads... Then I found the TW200, best of both worlds!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I turned 50 this year and have finally outgrown the "what will my buddies say" stage of my life. All that being said, I enjoy the TW for it's ease of riding, the ability to go where my KLR650 won't, its simplicity, and its fuel economy. My buddies can point and laugh all they want, I'm having a blast with it. What about you? Why do you have a TW?

For precisely the same reasons you do!!!!

I just took until 63 to figure it out: Slower is better and more interesting.

·
Registered
332 Posts
sport bikes and crusers are urban assault vehicles, the TW is a rural assault vehicle. Oh the TW can also be an urban assault vehicle by going around the traffic jams on curbs, ditches, sidewalks etc. Can take a TW out of the city and ride trails, farm roads and even ride through fields to check on combines and see how harvesting is going.Then take the mighty TW to town for a dairy queen. They are Real country bikes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bought the tw in 08 as a starter bike to get back into riding after 30 plus years off. Used on trails and trips into town on the farm until moving it down state to Detroit when I took a city job in October so now it is an urban explorer on the mean streets of Detroit. You could not ask for a more fun and versitile bike that does everything but highways and mx. Pushing 15,000 miles of trouble free fun without even needing a valve adjusted. Couldn't be happier with my first of 3 bikes that I now own. The tw will always be in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
I wanted to be able to ride in the winter here in Washinton state. I have a nice Harley Davidson, but with snow around, you can forget it. Plus, with forward controls and being top heavy (both the bike and myself..ha ha) It can feel pretty dangerous in bad weather. During the winters up here, you just have to park it and wait several months till you can break it out and ride again. So, I was wanting a bike I could ride in the winter. I can't think of a better bike than the Tdub for winter. I was very pleased with it. I was able to ride all winter with the exception of about 3 weeks. With its knobbies and low seat height, its so doable. I had bought some sheet metal screws for traction and they are still in the bag from the store, never even needed them this winter. I had planned for the TW to be my "winter bike", but I find that I take it out more than the Harley now. Such great little bikes!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I wanted to be able to ride in the winter here in Washinton state. I have a nice Harley Davidson, but with snow around, you can forget it. Plus, with forward controls and being top heavy (both the bike and myself..ha ha) It can feel pretty dangerous in bad weather. During the winters up here, you just have to park it and wait several months till you can break it out and ride again. So, I was wanting a bike I could ride in the winter. I can't think of a better bike than the Tdub for winter. I was very pleased with it. I was able to ride all winter with the exception of about 3 weeks. With its knobbies and low seat height, its so doable. I had bought some sheet metal screws for traction and they are still in the bag from the store, never even needed them this winter. I had planned for the TW to be my "winter bike", but I find that I take it out more than the Harley now. Such great little bikes!

Yep same here sans the HD

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I've had several bikes since the upper 70's.The TW had been "screeming" at me for several years,but I never listened (always Honda loyal).I was actually looking for a Honda 230L......then I spyed a left-over 2009 (this is around May-June 2011 mind you)on the local dealers floor. A fella I'd known for 25 plus years worked sales there and he asked,"what in the h-ll would YOU want with that!"?.Well, my thoughts went back years ago,about how the TW was "screaming" at me....decision made.....my sales buddy,just shook his head and we did some paper work......I finally listened,it was mine!; I'm glad I listened this time.The TW is such a surprising bike!.All the comments above and in other forums / posts about how slowing down is a good thing....it REALLY is.Yes,I still have my 2010 Shadow 750RS,it mainly pulls interstate duty however.....good machine also.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
My original plan when I returned from military deployment was gonna be a BMW Z3 Roadster. Wasn't even thinking motorcycle. Then life changed. While on medical recovery, I came to the conclusion that I didn't need to impress anyone but myself, re-organized my life's priorities, and decided to enjoy the simpler things in life. When I could stand on 2 legs again, I chose to buy an "escape from life" vehicle, and was drawn to the idea of dual-purpose type motorcycle because taking a hike turned out to be less appealing as it once did. So, I bought my 2005 TW because I wanted something new, dual-purpose, and something I could afford to pay with cash (no financing). It was between the TW and the XT225, however, the TW was less expensive and the top end of the XT wasn't much more. I went for less cost. Was not drawn to a larger displacement dual-purpose motorcycles as they were to expensive for me at the time. If the XT225 would have been the XT250 it is today, I probably would have gotten that instead of the TW. But alas, it's been the TW and I've been pretty darn satisfied.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got mine cheap. I was looking at a guy's XT350 from Craigslist and he directed my attention to his TW200. He wanted to keep the XT350, I think. Since it hadn't been messed with other than someone painted it, I decided to bring it home. I have been curious about the TW200 since last year and thought I wanted a new one for a while.

Getting a used one has been the perfect solution since I think mine is about the same as a new one now that I have it dialed in and have installed new taper bearings.

I think I've secretly fallen in love with the simplicity of the machine. Other than 'top speed' and looks, it hits every bullet point on my imaginary list of 'the perfect bike.' As someone who works on my own bikes, this is exactly the sort of thing you want to own. It's so simple and also robust (seems to handle people running them WFO on the highway if they so choose.)

At first I wasn't sure it was my sort of bike, but now I have been riding it all over the place. I've put about 1000 miles on in the past month since I've owned it. I'm used to slow stuff. I have ridden scooters for years (vintage Vespa) and I had a Triumph Speed Triple this time last year that I got a hefty speeding ticket with. The TW lets you get that feeling that you're really working for your dinner while -usually- remaining under the posted speed limit. I like that. It's definitely more fun to ride slow stuff fast than it is to ride fast stuff slow. My Triumph went 150mph+ which I loved, but I don't need to end up in jail.

Things about the TW that I appreciate as compared to other bikes I have had:

-Will (start and) run without the battery. CDI independant of the DC electrics

-Valves are super simple to adjust

-Can take almost any part of the bike apart about 10x easier than other street legal bikes (with simple tools.)

-Cheap to own, consumables like the chain, sprockets, motor oil are much less than modern bikes and due to low weight and low power, these parts last a long time

-Zenlike "has what you need, nothing you don't"

-Agile in that it is easy to go places you just can't on other bikes and it's super easy to drive in city traffic

-Reliable. One carburetor, high quality build.. This sort of simplicity means it'll run forever without constant fiddling with things

-Unique. People bug me about it constantly, both strangers and friends. I let almost anyone ride it and they all like it.

Don't like that it has made me forget about all of my other bikes. I need to force a riding calendar so my scooters and bigger street bikes get some love.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Bought my first one in 03. Was headed for Alaska and wanted something for the back country and a emergency vehicle in case something happened along the way and needed a ride. I used it for short rides and loved the way it handled on the river gravel. Lot of good sized rocks and streams with soft sand. the tw handled these with ease. Just bought another one, a 95 in good shape, for the wife and she is breaking in to riding two wheels. As we are retired now, it is nice to be able to get her out of her school teacher mode and enjoy the out of doors.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I will be 56 this year & rode motorcycles off & on all my life. I like the TW because when I think back on the most fun I've had riding It's always been on smaller bikes. I have a KLR, BMW R100GSPD & 2 CT110 Hondas that I ride besides the TW.

I like the TW because it thake me back to happier simpler times in my life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts