TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whole idea is to get out and enjoy the outdoors. So what if title is inappropriate? Sorry.
No TWs or motorcycles in this one either but I tell you I think mountain bikers make some of the best TW trails. I'ld like to poach these:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have been out in my shop building a King size bed and backboard for our new mattress. I am up to my arse in alligators and working with very expensive quarter sawn White Oak and can't afford mistakes such as cutting a board three times and finding it is still too short! I jump on my TW when ever I get a brain cramp and need to air myself out from all the dust and numbers running through my head. Just yesterday I dropped what I was doing and since the lawn needed mowing I jumped on the tractor instead but it served the same purpose, get away and clear my head. Sometimes I just go fishing and other times I strap the rod and my dog on the TW and go find a nice stream to fish for a while. There is something very relaxing about taking a quick and even very short ride just to forget about the moment and put my head in a very different place. Since I can't drink beers or other adult beverages while working with very unforgiving sharp tools the TW is the perfect escape medicine and the same could be said for the mountain bike or kayak, just take a break.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Just got a chance to watch that video Fred and I learned a few things that may help me get the wife outdoors with me more often. Thank you. There were both wheels and horsepower in your video so close enough! Who knows maybe one of those beautiful women were named Betty too......

Tom

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Getting outdoors in nature is my spiritual rejuvenator. Sure sometimes it is on the TW or behind a steering wheel burning petrochemicals but it is still good. Often hiking shoes or a paddle provide the motion. It is all a tonic for the soul. Take a romantic stroll with your significant other, a hike together is a pleasing bonding experience. IMG_0103.JPG

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Some of my pals just have to rub it in when I am stuck on projects!

Here is Bucknutz doing what I would normally be doing with him!

GaryL

unnamed (2).jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts

GaryL

View attachment 21519 I didn't mean to rub it in. Next time, you come along. ( maybe 9/13? ) For me, being surrounded by nature is the closest thing to being near God. ( at least so far, I hope :) ) As mentioned above, it rejuvenates my soul. This time kayaking, next time riding the tw, taking a plunge off some cliffs into a pristine mountain pool, the sky is the limit. I've got many projects to do, but sometimes I just say f--- it. I know your bed frame had to get finished now Gary. My projects can wait a couple days. Just last evening, Zolar and I kayaked fished for Bass on a beautiful 40 acre pond. I caught one about 4 lbs., and watched a Black Bear come down to get a drink at 75 yards. The fishing could have been better, the experience could not have been. That is, unless my wife was along to enjoy it, too. ( sorry Zolar, feel free to post up some go pro video, I think his TW is in it. :) We are hear for a good time, not a long time. Rubber side down, Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a great time with Bucknutz and even though I did not catch a fish it was a beautiful day. Here is some Vid I put together .

GaryL

View attachment 21519 I didn't mean to rub it in. Next time, you come along. ( maybe 9/13? ) For me, being surrounded by nature is the closest thing to being near God. ( at least so far, I hope :) ) As mentioned above, it rejuvenates my soul. This time kayaking, next time riding the tw, taking a plunge off some cliffs into a pristine mountain pool, the sky is the limit. I've got many projects to do, but sometimes I just say f--- it. I know your bed frame had to get finished now Gary. My projects can wait a couple days. Just last evening, Zolar and I kayaked fished for Bass on a beautiful 40 acre pond. I caught one about 4 lbs., and watched a Black Bear come down to get a drink at 75 yards. The fishing could have been better, the experience could not have been. That is, unless my wife was along to enjoy it, too. ( sorry Zolar, feel free to post up some go pro video, I think his TW is in it. :) We are hear for a good time, not a long time. Rubber side down, Dave

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Why I didn't get to go for a ride but I am close to done now. Just the clean up remains and storing away all the tools and machines.

King size bed frame and head board out of quarter sawn white oak.

IMG_0891.JPG

Butcher block counter top between the kitchen and dinning room the wife has wanted for ever.

IMG_0894.JPG

The best time of our year is here now and all the summer invaders have returned to the city and schools so I should get some seat time while the weather lasts a bit longer and it is not too hot.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
While you have been busy putting good wood to use I have been busy removing decades old unkempt shrubs from around the house and yard.

I spent 8 hours yesterday with my new Ryobi 14" 40 volt brushless chainsaw and LOVE it! This technology is the future of homeowner yard equipment. I actually considered posting a video of the new saw in action but was not sure if it would be well received.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
While you have been busy putting good wood to use I have been busy removing decades old unkempt shrubs from around the house and yard.

I spent 8 hours yesterday with my new Ryobi 14" 40 volt brushless chainsaw and LOVE it! This technology is the future of homeowner yard equipment. I actually considered posting a video of the new saw in action but was not sure if it would be well received.

Tom
Post the video! This is the Off Topic section and anything that a member does not have an interest in seeing can be skipped right over. Most of us do have yards and need machines that do that work parked somewhere near our TWs. Life is not all fun and games for most of us and getting the home work done is usually on the menu before we can go for our rides.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Post the video! This is the Off Topic section and anything that a member does not have an interest in seeing can be skipped right over. Most of us do have yards and need machines that do that work parked somewhere near our TWs. Life is not all fun and games for most of us and getting the home work done is usually on the menu before we can go for our rides.

GaryL
I will make a video one night this week and post it. I have been fascinated with this saw since it was introduced with a brushless motor. At $200 it is not inexpensive but I saved that much in one days use. What a treat having enough saw for MOST tree cutting jobs I will need it for, without needing to buy and maintain gas etc. I do however own two different gas saws and they will continue to have their place in my arsenal.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
With the advancements in battery technology many new tool designs are on the horizon. Maintaining gasoline powered equipment has become a chore with the fuels we must use that are not suitable for long term storage. On the other end of this spectrum where battery powered equipment are concerned I have almost always found it is much cheaper to replace the entire tool than it is to replace just the battery in it. Nothing burns me worse than having a perfectly good working drill with a dead battery and learning that a brand new drill with 2 batteries and a charger cost about the same as just one new battery. I bet there will soon be a lot of used Prius type vehicles for sale cheap when their batteries take a crap and need replacing!

I would love to see something that will never happen in a broad way, a universal battery that fits most battery operated tools from the various manufacturers much like the standard AAA, AA, C & D batteries we all use.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Take it for what it is worth here but the Ryobi 18 volt lithium batteries are as close to bullet proof as they come! I have two that are now 9 years old and have outlived one drill and one flashlight. I am probably much harder on my drills than most people. Safe steel is some strong sheet!:)

Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
wow, that stuff came out very nice. I am coming up ur way tomorrow or the next day, lets ride!
Why I didn't get to go for a ride but I am close to done now. Just the clean up remains and storing away all the tools and machines.

King size bed frame and head board out of quarter sawn white oak.

View attachment 21710

Butcher block counter top between the kitchen and dinning room the wife has wanted for ever.

View attachment 21711

The best time of our year is here now and all the summer invaders have returned to the city and schools so I should get some seat time while the weather lasts a bit longer and it is not too hot.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
wow, that stuff came out very nice. I am coming up ur way tomorrow or the next day, lets ride!
Doubtful I will be in any shape to ride by tomorrow. After two marathon weeks of cutting, gluing, planing, clamping, sanding, routing, staining, painting the rooms and now today doing all the clean up and getting all my tools and machines stowed away it is a safe bet I am totally shot! Arthritis at my age is no fun but just takes a day or two to get over the pain. Right now I could not even drive a screw driver if I had to and spent most of last night dealing with nasty hand cramps. I know I have done myself bad when I need a bottle opener to get a dam screw off cap off a beer bottle. They don't make a pain pill that works on this crap unless it knocks you on your rear. I did just get back from the Neversink river, you know the spot, where I soaked my bones and the water was nice and cold and I feel about as good as I have in a couple weeks. Please don't pity me but I do envy you younger guys who still don't feel the wrath of all those previous injuries and years of hard work that come back to haunt you as you get older. You are welcome to stop by and twist the caps when you get up here from the concrete jungle.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts