TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are, I believe, Excel rims. No reason to believe they are not stock. One hole has the tube stem, the other is plugged. One is a few inches from the other, both on the flat. Weasel noticed it and pointed it out. He asked me and I had to confess ignorance. Anyone?

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm very familiar with rim locks Purple, but I've always mounted them 180 degrees from the valve stem...can't say why, that's just how I was taught. Think that's it eh? Seems too close to the valve stem...but what do I know, maybe close is better in terms of protecting the stem.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I'm very familiar with rim locks Purple, but I've always mounted them 180 degrees from the valve stem...can't say why, that's just how I was taught. Think that's it eh? Seems too close to the valve stem...but what do I know, maybe close is better in terms of protecting the stem.
I've not seen them so close to the stem but it makes perfect sense, hole the tire to the rim as close to the stem in case of a flat, less likely to damage it if the tire starts moving on the rim.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
I just included the vid for others cruising the site - figured you'd used them before

Closer to the valve stem would make more sense - less chance of the deformation of the tire ripping it out - but I suspect there will always be differing opinions on that .......

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I think I agree with the closer to the valve the better analysis, but that's what threw me. Now I wonder why all us guys mounted them 180 from the stem back in the day...somebody started that.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Research says the new conventional wisdom is close to the stem and in front of it as considering the direction of spin...which means that puppy is right where it ought to be. Thanks for clearing it up guys. I guess the days of drilling your own hole directly across from the valve stem are way past. The shroud of vintage darkness has parted for me.:D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, I think I agree with the closer to the valve the better analysis, but that's what threw me. Now I wonder why all us guys mounted them 180 from the stem back in the day...somebody started that.
Possibly to help keep the wheel more balanced, rather than have the weight of the rim lock and valve in one area?

·
Registered
120 Posts
As far back as I can remember('70's) all my dirt bikes had rim locks. But as mentioned, they were all 180 of the valve stem

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
My Honda XR650L rims have those buttons also. With the valve stems at the 12:00 position, the buttons are at about the 8:00 position when viewed from the right side of the bike.

I remember reading once about a guy who said he ran two tubes in each tire, laid in side by side. I can't remember if he inflated both or if he waited until the inflated one went flat and then inflated the other one. I suppose this could work.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
My Honda XR650L rims have those buttons also. With the valve stems at the 12:00 position, the buttons are at about the 8:00 position when viewed from the right side of the bike.

I remember reading once about a guy who said he ran two tubes in each tire, laid in side by side. I can't remember if he inflated both or if he waited until the inflated one went flat and then inflated the other one. I suppose this could work.
That was a popular place to carry an extra tube in enduro's back in the day. Racing through the woods balls out for 6+ hours, you needed a lot, but couldn't carry much. It was not inflated. If you got a flat, you could pull one side rip out bad tube, slip new stem in the hole, remount one side of tire, air up, and take off again. Because the extra tube was already on rim, inside tire, all of this could be done without removing the wheel. Tricky and hard to do, with practice, guys did this pretty quick in the woods. Co2 chargers would fill tire up to pressure. A must have.

Although, I have seen 2 valve stems on rear wheels at the races in the pits. Not sure, but I would think you could have 2 tubes in each tire. I don't see why not. Thinking about it, seems like it would work just fine.

There's no short cuts taken when it comes to racing. Only on the track, well, if no one's looking.......:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts