TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure it out, I'm not expert but I would think that fifth gear could pull SOME on flat roads. I can get up to a shown 63 in 4th and shift up because she is yelling at me and it immediately drops to showing 55 with WOT and she doesn't even think about pulling the bike faster than that. the road I have to take to school is hwy20 out of tallahassee and people drive kinda crazy on that road and the implied speed limit is closer to 65 than 55 (if you are going 55 you will get passed/honked at/run off the road/flipped off/bright lighted/a$$ ridden/etc... so I would feel better being able to cruise a little faster to be able to keep up with traffic, they are a little more lenient with bikes though because of the high volume of cruisers that ride there. ANYWAY. I was wondering if there is something wrong with the bike like a jetting problem or something like that or if i'm just going to have to do the dual sprocket on the back. I AM concerned about the fifth gear though, there is just nothing there.

I checked the oil, (changed it about 200mi ago as well)
I have a duro on the back with stock gearing
I am 6'3 155lb so it shouldn't have too much of a problem hauling me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the are definitely NOT street legal, but around here the law is pretty lax on that type of thing, the road parallels the national forest with ohv trails and there are side by sides and 4wheelers on the road all the time.

and the bike goes up to speed and then some in 4th but she just loses all of her gumption once i shift up. You are probably right though, she might just not have enough in 5th to be able to handle that tire.

are there any ways to fix that problem? maybe a tooth or two bigger on the back? I'd have to get a new chain though and with a student budget its hard to make those things appear. Any alternatives?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you happen to know what length chain I would need for a 55?

(i have never had to change a chain so I'll be doing some research on it as well)

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
Even with the gearing and tire combo you have you should still be able to pull 55-60 easy and even 65, particularly in the flat (no wind). Is this a recent slowdown in speed and were you running faster with the Duro before?

When I mounted my Cerros (84 inches round compared to 79ish for stock tire) I had 13/50 gearing and was able to easily ride up to 60-65 mph. I think this combo is close to 14/47 if running stock tires. I recently changed my rear sprocket to 55T, 13/55 now and can still get up to 60 mph fairly easy. I don't go up to 65 mph as running this gearing the rpm's are much higher than the 13/50 gearing.

I do a little bit more off-road riding, hence the change to 13/55. I may even go to 13/60 when I really want to get into the tough trails but I digress from what you really want to know. I still think you should be able to go faster than what you are mentioning.

I recently put a new chain on with my 13/55 Cerros combo. I ordered a 130 link chain knowing I would have to cut or remove some links. I didn't actually count how many I removed. What I did was moved the Cerros as far forward as I could without the tire hitting the swingarm. I then threaded the chain over the front sprocket with each end on top of the rear sprocket. I made sure the chain was as tight as possible. With each end link end to end, this is where I removed the extra links. All this meaning I didn't pre-count links to remove. I remove links to fit rather than count, if this makes sense.

Oh, and I'm 6-1 275 lbs. that this little TW has to lug around so your height & weight shouldn't be a factor.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even with the gearing and tire combo you have you should still be able to pull 55-60 easy and even 65, particularly in the flat (no wind). Is this a recent slowdown in speed and were you running faster with the Duro before?

When I mounted my Cerros (84 inches round compared to 79ish for stock tire) I had 13/50 gearing and was able to easily ride up to 60-65 mph. I think this combo is close to 14/47 if running stock tires. I recently changed my rear sprocket to 55T, 13/55 now and can still get up to 60 mph fairly easy. I don't go up to 65 mph as running this gearing the rpm's are much higher than the 13/50 gearing.

I do a little bit more off-road riding, hence the change to 13/55. I may even go to 13/60 when I really want to get into the tough trails but I digress from what you really want to know. I still think you should be able to go faster than what you are mentioning.

I recently put a new chain on with my 13/55 Cerros combo. I ordered a 130 link chain knowing I would have to cut or remove some links. I didn't actually count how many I removed. What I did was moved the Cerros as far forward as I could without the tire hitting the swingarm. I then threaded the chain over the front sprocket with each end on top of the rear sprocket. I made sure the chain was as tight as possible. With each end link end to end, this is where I removed the extra links. All this meaning I didn't pre-count links to remove. I remove links to fit rather than count, if this makes sense.

Oh, and I'm 6-1 275 lbs. that this little TW has to lug around so your height & weight shouldn't be a factor.
I have not really been up to speed much since I put the duro on, My girlfriend has been riding the TW more lately, but she definitely has had problems keeping up on the highway since the tire change. I'm not sure of the speeds before, but I'm pretty sure it was doing fine I never noticed a problem when we rode.

and I'm picking up what you're putting down about the chain, I should've known better than to ask a silly question like that, after you mentioned it I realized that chains come in lengths and you have to trim per bike/gearing

I am going to put some more air in the tire and ride to school today and see how it goes.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
I have not really been up to speed much since I put the duro on, My girlfriend has been riding the TW more lately, but she definitely has had problems keeping up on the highway since the tire change. I'm not sure of the speeds before, but I'm pretty sure it was doing fine I never noticed a problem when we rode.

and I'm picking up what you're putting down about the chain, I should've known better than to ask a silly question like that, after you mentioned it I realized that chains come in lengths and you have to trim per bike/gearing

I am going to put some more air in the tire and ride to school today and see how it goes.
What gearing are you currently running? No way stock gearing will get you to 60mph in 4th gear. Sounds to me like you need to move your gearing back towards stock.

Tom

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do I check my gearing? (please don't beat me too hard)

I just assumed it was stock.

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
Without removing the side cover you won't be able to see any stamped marking. The rear should be a little easier as TW-Brian mentions.

With the TW in neutral, if you can somehow mark your front sprocket with something like "whiteout", you can turn the wheel and count the sprockets. Much easier to count the rear sprocket teeth while turning the wheel. Good idea to mark your start/end tooth.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The stock gearing is 14 in the front and 50 in the rear. Most sprockets have the tooth count marked on them, although it is sometimes hard to find and read.
14/45... I guess I know why the duro fit without a new chain now. I'm pretty sure a 50 tooth is in my near future along with a new chain. anyone want to get rid of a 50 tooth?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your rear sprocket should have the tooth count stamped in it somewhere near the teeth on the outside. May have to clean off some grime to find it. Of course you can always count the teeth if the number is nowhere to be found. The front sprocket is a little trickier, you'll either have to pull the left case cover or peek around the sprocket cover and count teeth as you roll the bike. Stock gearing is 14 front, 50 rear. Sounds to me like your geared too low with that duro, like other's said 60mph in 4th gear is impossible with stock gearing. My guess is that your current sprocket combo is too low for that duro, so when you hit 5th there's just not enough torque to turn that big ol tire.

Even with the duro I would think you could cruise 60-65 in 5th fairly comfortably. I'm 225lb and my bike will maintain 70mph with stock gearing and tires... gotta be a gearing issue you're facing

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
He could very well indeed be running a 50 tooth on the rear. The Duro is 3" taller than the stock tire and that will make it act like it has a smaller rear sprocket.

A 55(or bigger) tooth is really the only way to go with the Duro. You have a lot more tire and weight to turn and the TW engine needs all the help it can get. As far as the chain goes, i think for my 55 tooth i run two full links longer than stock.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts