TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm helping a friend with his 2007 TW200-

He recently put new bars on and noticed the throttle return cable (lower cable) end has come undone from the pulley and is 2"+ too long. When I push the cable up towards the handlebars (back up the tube), it sounds 'loose' or 'unhooked' at the throttle assembly / grip. Without knowing how it's attached there, is it unhooked? It's far too much play to fix with the adjusters. maybe he popped the cable-end out of it's fitting when removing the assembly from the old bars?

The upper cable is attached and correct in length (and functioning). The lower is more than 2" too long, but feels like maybe it came undone or unhooked at the handlebars. I realize some new bars are longer / shorter, but the upper cable and cable sheaths look good lengthwise.

Any thoughts on what happened?
Should I take apart the assembly at the bars and...??

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,979 Posts
Well – throttle cables being reasonably stable affairs – either you have the upper/lower switched round the wrong way, or what is more likely, one of the adjusters is missing.

The trouble is, we know what it’s supposed to look like – but can’t quite see yours from here – perhaps a pic or two would be nice (most of us can’t read).

Welcome to the nut house …… :)

·
Super Moderator
18,931 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
21,406 Posts
Good idea to check the return cable's connection at the handlebar's throttle tube. Welcome!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Make sure you don't have the cables reversed...but that shouldn't account for the two inches.

Need to check the handlebar end. There is an adjuster underneath a rubber covering.

Sorry, no picture of the handlebar end.

jb

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Thanks All, I will pull it apart at the handlebars and see the connection there. Don't have it nearby to get pics, but appreciate the feedback!
An easy check is to just twist the throttle. The one to open the carb is the back one that wraps farther around the disc on the carb. It is quite a bit longer than the return cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts