TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why isn't this a MUCH more popular upgrade?

I have very recently upgraded the stock headlight to a HID kit manufactured by BikeMaster. I purchased "wife bought it for me for fathers day" the 6000 h/l unit from Procycle. Now either my stocker was a dud or few TW riders actually venture out at night? The difference in output and coverage are truly unbelievable. I had an idea in my head of what performance increase would make the cost worthwhile and the performance was way better than I could have hoped for. Totally satisfied to say the least. I am off this weekend and if there is enough interest I can document the installation method that I used. I could find nothing online pertaining to a TW install.

Tom

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm interested. As a 17 year old rider in July I need people to see me at night and me to see them

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

Reactions: 671tdub

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make no mistake if you ride with the high beam on you WILL be seen:cool:

Tom

Reactions: 671tdub

·
Registered
267 Posts
Probably what killed my Yamaha junk battery. Now using agm 7L BS. Never checked or charged for 1000 miles. Had a No start problem. Found battery low acid. Try to charge said was good. Did load test found battery was dropping volts fast on load test. Bad cell.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably what killed my Yamaha junk battery. Now using agm 7L BS. Never checked or charged for 1000 miles. Had a No start problem. Found battery low acid. Try to charge said was good. Did. Orange test found battery was dropping volts fast on load test. Bad cell.

The HID lights actually have a lower amperage draw than the factory bulb. Should be easier on the battery.

Tom

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's awesome! I love the look of HID's.

I decided to upgrade my lighting so I stuck two 27 Watt led's on there. It's at least 4 times as bright as stock. Lights up the night like daytime! They're definitely not DOT approved though...

Zack

·
Registered
334 Posts
Very cool, I think I may look in to this, otherwise I was eye-ing out some supplementary HID bulbs for beemer GS's which I was debating trying to get fitted on the Dub,
Pricey though. I'm definitely gonna take a nother look at the Procycle option, thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Thats what im running on my bike also plus two led fog lights. The hid is way brighter than the stock bulb but the way the led technology is going I would probably go with a led h4 next time. The hid is nice but there is alot of crap to tuck away. Here are some of my night time headlight comparison shots http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/4502-night-time-headlight-comparison-photos.html a buddy of mine is running these lights MondoMotos MM10 Bullet LED Auxiliary Light Kit (V2) | MondoMotos Motorcycle Lighting, LED Lighting and Accessories and really likes them. Hard to beat for the money

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what im running on my bike also plus two led fog lights. The hid is way brighter than the stock bulb but the way the led technology is going I would probably go with a led h4 next time. The hid is nice but there is alot of crap to tuck away. Here are some of my night time headlight comparison shots http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/4502-night-time-headlight-comparison-photos.html a buddy of mine is running these lights MondoMotos MM10 Bullet LED Auxiliary Light Kit (V2) | MondoMotos Motorcycle Lighting, LED Lighting and Accessories and really likes them. Hard to beat for the money

Yeah small's your original post is actually what convinced me to get the HID conversion. Thanx for that too! I am thrilled with mine. Since I reside in "The peoples republic of New York" I wanted to make sure my upgrade would be legal here and a lot of the LED options just don't say one way or the other. All in all though nobody has really answered my original question "why is this not a way more popular upgrade"? For the sake of safety this should be a priority IMHO.

Tom

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well, I've been ring dirt bikes with almost no headlight for years. The first time I came in late and needed a headlight I could not believe how bright the TW's light was. But then, I've not ridden street for years and only ride the TW at night by accident.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I've been ring dirt bikes with almost no headlight for years. The first time I came in late and needed a headlight I could not believe how bright the TW's light was. But then, I've not ridden street for years and only ride the TW at night by accident.
Not sure what year yours is but mine is a brand new leftover 2013. The low beam on mine would not illuminate MY lane 30 feet in front of the bike. The high beam was kind of OK but still not a good enough area flood left and right. I nearly hit a rather large deer the second night I rode it and she was standing on the edge of the road. I also had two cars pull out directly in front of me in broad daylight. luckily I was in a 30mph zone and had no trouble avoiding a collision.

Tom

Tom

·
Registered
976 Posts
All in all though nobody has really answered my original question "why is this not a way more popular upgrade"? For the sake of safety this should be a priority IMHO.

Tom
I think that amongst folks who have use for it, it's a pretty popular upgrade. The first fellow forum member I met up to ride with (haven't seen him around in awhile) did the HID conversion right after buying it. To my knowledge he never posted about it, maybe because HID headlights have questionable legality across jurisdictions?

I would be inclined, but the fact is I don't ride my TW outside of daylight hours all too often. If I did, I'd probably go HID for the headlight and add a couple of LED floods mounted to the forks on the old reflector brackets.

It's true the stock headlight isn't great, but no headlight is all that great in comparison to the sun, which is the preferred instrument of illumination for all of my rides.

Of course, I've come pretty damn close to hitting a deer in broad daylight more than once, so take my commentary with a grain of salt!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that amongst folks who have use for it, it's a pretty popular upgrade. The first fellow forum member I met up to ride with (haven't seen him around in awhile) did the HID conversion right after buying it. To my knowledge he never posted about it, maybe because HID headlights have questionable legality across jurisdictions?

I would be inclined, but the fact is I don't ride my TW outside of daylight hours all too often. If I did, I'd probably go HID for the headlight and add a couple of LED floods mounted to the forks on the old reflector brackets.

It's true the stock headlight isn't great, but no headlight is all that great in comparison to the sun, which is the preferred instrument of illumination for all of my rides.

Of course, I've come pretty damn close to hitting a deer in broad daylight more than once, so take my commentary with a grain of salt!

Almost all input is good input one way or another. I guess because I have not ridden in years I had not realized how seemingly invisible motorcyclists are to the general population.

Tom

·
Registered
976 Posts
Almost all input is good input one way or another. I guess because I have not ridden in years I had not realized how seemingly invisible motorcyclists are to the general population.

Tom
As a motorcyclist, you ARE invisible!

I don't think that loud pipes, bright headlights, hi-viz gear or anything else can change that. Car drivers just don't see motorcyclists, and while active measures like lane placement and movement can help, I don't trust passive measures to make any difference. There are plenty of bright and loud things out on the roadways, most motorists just tune them all out and keep their eyes peeled for merging dump trucks.

I try to ride like I'm invisible, because to many drivers I am.

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you an MSF instructor:)

Tom

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Speaking strictly for myself, in the three years +or- I have owned my TW, I have never ridden it after dark. I have another dual sport and a pure street bike that have much better lights, thus the TW is daylight only. If I ever do intend to use it after dark, I would probably upgrade with LEDs rather than HID. The HID works well but is probably more expensive and definitely heavier than LEDs.

The TW is a fairly heavy bike already,for its displacement, in stock condition. Off-road, weight is not my friend. I know that many people here do multi-day trips into the back country. They need a lot of upgrades to haul everything, plus they may need better lights.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
How can people see you when 90% of them are looking at their phones. Its not just the younger generation now its everyone. I drive a semi and all day long I see people texting or whatever.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I really don't like riding at night. Don't have very good night vision, can't see hazards on the road or trying to cross the road. I really got the Tdub to explore and spot wildlife and nice scenery. Can't see crap at night so I've really only needed the lights when got caught having too much fun and lost track of time and where I am. I guess a better headlight would make it easier for other traffic to see you but still need to ride like your invisible. I really don't even like riding the pavement that much. Its just there to help me find that next really cool trail.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts