TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Joined
656 Posts
Hi littletommy: The world of bikes has taken a bifurcated arrangement. In the USofA it had to be bigger, badder, and faster: which meant heavier, more likely to demolish your bones, but if I was young would still be infatuated with this. In the rest of the world where the most bikes are by far, they still look at a 500/600cc as a bigger bike. We need to get back to thinking in the 200/500cc(weight & power) or so category, for not only us "senior"? types but also because it makes sense in many ways including handling, at least until you have 500 or so hours riding(i.e. 10/15K miles, min.) I think the push for the bigger has not been that well thought out.
 

Registered
Joined
976 Posts
The author was a little snarky, but also makes some good points.

I don't really agree with his suggestion that more laws such as graduated displacement licensing are the way forward if the end goal is to increase ridership. Look at what the increasingly complex web of laws regulating hunting has done to the participation rates there. Putting up legal barriers for people will only turn off potential new riders.

I did appreciate his nod to the new CB300F, I'm already making plans for when the first round of those hit the used market in a year or so.
 

Registered
Joined
2,214 Posts
Yeah, Great article.
Except when he bashed and stereotyped.

If you read the replies beneath the trash talk, he tells someone that Sportsters are trash. Um, they are not.
So, just because he doesn't like Harleys, he feels he can use his podium to bash them?
Makes me second guess anything written by him.

Yes. We all have our preferences. But to "dis" someone because of what they ride? Or what they choose to wear while riding?
This boy is a true child.

There are many bikes in my stable.
From a 66 Ducati Cadet all the way up to a '14 Ultra. (and I am hopefully getting my TW200 Monday! Freaky rainbow colored one though.)
And I ride ALL of them. The CT90 gets to go for bagels and coffee in the morning in town. The 2010 Fatboy is used to do service calls in Manhattan. The 1965 Harley M50 is used at swap meets, etc.
And I dress accordingly. In town, I'll usually wear the minimum of jeans, t-shirt, work boots, bucket. If I go to the city, it is Kevlar lined pants, leather jacket, modular helmet or DOT half helmet.

So according to the author, I'm a drunk crazed fool. I think not. Been riding for over 40 years. I've seen the people he mentions, but few and far between. He has just given motorcyclists more bad exposure.

Sorry to rant. This guy just got my dander up.
 

Registered
Joined
656 Posts
Yeah, Great article.
Except when he bashed and stereotyped.

If you read the replies beneath the trash talk, he tells someone that Sportsters are trash. Um, they are not.
So, just because he doesn't like Harleys, he feels he can use his podium to bash them?
Makes me second guess anything written by him.

Yes. We all have our preferences. But to "dis" someone because of what they ride? Or what they choose to wear while riding?
This boy is a true child.

There are many bikes in my stable.
From a 66 Ducati Cadet all the way up to a '14 Ultra. (and I am hopefully getting my TW200 Monday! Freaky rainbow colored one though.)
And I ride ALL of them. The CT90 gets to go for bagels and coffee in the morning in town. The 2010 Fatboy is used to do service calls in Manhattan. The 1965 Harley M50 is used at swap meets, etc.
And I dress accordingly. In town, I'll usually wear the minimum of jeans, t-shirt, work boots, bucket. If I go to the city, it is Kevlar lined pants, leather jacket, modular helmet or DOT half helmet.

So according to the author, I'm a drunk crazed fool. I think not. Been riding for over 40 years. I've seen the people he mentions, but few and far between. He has just given motorcyclists more bad exposure.

Sorry to rant. This guy just got my dander up.
Hi Smitty Blackstone: Never fear. You can and should rant on this site when you don't agree. That's the whole deal.
 

Registered
Joined
2,461 Posts
There's a lot of truth in that article. I have to question it's authority a bit though. There are some bold claims made about sales with no reference as to where those figures came from... Other than that it was a nice read. Particularly sad but true, and so hilarious:
"Your average American sportbike rider. Sick belt, brah" (Damon Lavrinc - Lane Splitter). And OMG does the picture above this line totally say a thousand words lol! Love it!
 

Registered
Joined
330 Posts
"sensible personal transportation, an honest good time or someone saving all of us time on our commutes by taking active measures to bust congestion"

Hey, it's me!

He definitely did rant, bash and stereotype, but there were some points which made me think.
Our South African market is similar in the quest for BHP from most riders, but we are lucky enough to be starting to get smaller, more fun bikes. I love small bikes, which places me firmly in the miority, and that is why I love the Tdub, and why I am lusting after a KTM Duke 390, and even a little Honda Grom (called the MSX125 here)

That quote above is what caught me though, I love riding, and honestly consider it a part of my life which is non-negotiable, and I do it for those reasons, of fun, really effective transportation in using the minimum required energy and fuel to transport me when I am on my own, and because it's traffic-hassle free.
I try and convey that, along with an honest opinion on the negatives of motorcycling, which are there, but not over-bearing in my opinion, but it really does seem that most riders I meet are all about the perception they receive from others when on bikes, and feel the need to dress and act a certain way depending on their rides and riding pursuits, which always seem clicky, which is a pity.

Wafflewafflewaffle.

Long story short, that is one of the reasons that make me love my dub and this collection of people from all over because it seems to me at least that Tdub guys genberally have less ego.
 

Registered
Joined
1,826 Posts
Loooooooooong article............ I'm just glad I've lived through those early days.. I started riding in 1964, things were simple then. A 450 honda was just a dream. A 650 trump,883 harley were hot dogs then.. My first new bike was a 1966 yammie 100 twin.. Then came my 1967 yammie 305. Next came my rocket years..1973 Yammie 500 4-stroker. Then came my touring years, 1977 yammie 750 shaft drive triple. Back to the hyper years for a while, 1981 seca 750 4 banger.. A few years pasted----------------------Jump to the fun years, 2 2006 dubs. We are back to the clean,enjoyable years of our youth. Next was a yearning for a cruiser style bike. Enter my 2009 trump America.. But all kidding aside, the dubsters get the most miles put on them in a year....... OMM.:headbang::encouragement::icon_thumleft::icon_salut:
 

Registered
Joined
1,421 Posts
I think that after reading his article, the only point that I got out of it, is that people like him are the problem. There are many like him. They chose which type of machine suits them best and then bash anyone who does not conform to that lifestyle. Sportbike, dirt bike, Harley's, BMW's , standards, etc, seem, in most forums, to not to be supportive of each other any more than non-motorcyclists are. So if you take his percentages, you can cut them into about 5 subcategories again greatly diminishing the motorcycle population. My rule of thumb pertaining to percentages in articles is that 90% of statistics in percentages are outright lies, the other 10% are simply not true.
 

Registered
Joined
656 Posts
I think that after reading his article, the only point that I got out of it, is that people like him are the problem. There are many like him. They chose which type of machine suits them best and then bash anyone who does not conform to that lifestyle. Sportbike, dirt bike, Harley's, BMW's , standards, etc, seem, in most forums, to not to be supportive of each other any more than non-motorcyclists are. So if you take his percentages, you can cut them into about 5 subcategories again greatly diminishing the motorcycle population. My rule of thumb pertaining to percentages in articles is that 90% of statistics in percentages are outright lies, the other 10% are simply not true.
Hi Ebbanflood: The gist of your comment is sadly spot on. I know having to take the shit from my Harley and BMW buddies, and I like their bikes. Just not for me at the moment. Have owned various of the categories over the years.
 

Registered
Joined
2,461 Posts
I like small bikes too, but I like all bikes I suppose. I don't care if it's a 36cc two stroke moped with a wicker sidecar or a Triumph Rocket 3, I wanna ride it.
That's exactly my philosophy. From the Honda CRF 50 to the Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, they're all fun!
 

Registered
Joined
2,461 Posts
I think that after reading his article, the only point that I got out of it, is that people like him are the problem. There are many like him. They chose which type of machine suits them best and then bash anyone who does not conform to that lifestyle. Sportbike, dirt bike, Harley's, BMW's , standards, etc, seem, in most forums, to not to be supportive of each other any more than non-motorcyclists are. So if you take his percentages, you can cut them into about 5 subcategories again greatly diminishing the motorcycle population. My rule of thumb pertaining to percentages in articles is that 90% of statistics in percentages are outright lies, the other 10% are simply not true.
Well it's like my Public Speaking teacher says: "There are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics". LOL.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top