TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
major hijack, but... it had been a long time since i watched that chase. so many classic cars spotted in there i'd love to have! that also looks like a sawed off winchester model 97.

back to the xt250, i'm sure it's a great bike, though i prefer the look of the xt225.
i'm happy with my tw, and with the ttr226 powerplant all the better.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ive not ridden the xt250, but I have spent some time on the honda crf250l. Personally I think its a better bike for the money than the xt. they are very similar. I know this is a blue forum, but I have not ever owned anything blue or red that has let me down. I mst say that little crf is a fun bike, but being a fella of 5'8" I feel more stable on the tw and for slow trail riding I can manage better on the tw. If i steered away from the tw that crf would be in my garage.

on another note. lets get one thing straight........ truck pistons belong in a row not in a v. Cummins power all the way! Raptors are neat, but I dont like IFS on trucks and I dont think that truck would like 3000LBS of payload plus Im not sure what I would do with a little truck bed like that. I moved to a 9' bed and it was the best thing yet. Seriously most cars and trucks have a place. thats why theyre all around to be chosen from.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to own an XT-225 and I loved it. I wish I had never sold it, can't even remember now why I did. Now I have a TW and I'm loving it, too. But... if I had to rank the two bikes I'd have to put the XT-225 just a tiny bit above the TW. Loving the TW for now but don't be surprised if I wind up selling it and replacing it with an XT-250. As much as I love offroad riding, I still ride more on the road than off, and the XT is better suited for that. And... my old XT-225 never had any problems getting around offroad for me.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Been stuck at home with a cold for a few days so have been surfing a lot and looked up light weight dual sport motorcycles. The XT250 caught my eye. It seems to have many of the advantages as the TW200 such as sub-300lb weight, low cost, and low saddle. Beyond the TW, it has EFI (I know not everyone wants EFI), front/rear disc brakes, higher HP, and a higher capacity fuel tank. The advantage of the TW seems to be possible better behavior in sand and mud as well as better looks (the high front fender on the XT looks weird to me).

My questions is, why not an XT250 over our beloved TW200?

2015 - 2017 Yamaha XT250 | motorcycle review @ Top Speed

I bought my 2015 XT250 brand new, and have almost 8,000 miles on it now. If I'm honest, I'm having mixed feelings about it, at the moment, because I've been having a problem with the drive train. I'm afraid it is a design flaw of the bike, which cannot be properly fixed. I have become a bit bitter and angry about it. None of the things I've thought of, nor anything suggested by forum members, has been the culprit of the issue. I've reached the point where I'm just going to ride it...no other choice, really.

Anyway, aside from all that ^^... I have really liked the bike. It's definitely got a pretty noticeable advantage in power and highway capability, compared to the TW. You can put a 16 tooth front sprocket on it and cruise very comfortably at an actual 65 mph (as opposed to indicated) , literally all day long, with no issues, or go to a 14 tooth and have an easier time with most off road challenges (and still do 60 all day, albeit slightly less smoothly). The transmission, motor, and fuel injection have been absolutely brilliant - never skipping a beat. It does have a lot of ground clearance, especially considering that it's a budget dual sport (it has more than some dedicated dirt bikes). In spite of that, it still manages a 31 inch seat height. Do be aware that you'll have to clean the air filter VERY frequently if you frequently ride in dusty off road environments. If you don't clean the filter after a long, dusty ride, the motor's power output is significantly reduced. I've had it down to 10 horsepower after a single long off road ride, and once even had to pull over on the side of the road after railing sand dunes for a couple of hours, which left the entire filter absolutely completely and totally jam-packed with sand; it WOULD NOT do more than 35 mph, period. I just pull the filter, knock the dirt out, and vacuum out the air box, after every off road ride. It isn't technically necessary to do it nearly that much if you're riding wet dirt or rocks, or not riding super aggressively with tons of wheel spin. But if you are riding like that, then it really needs to be cleaned after every ride, or performance will suffer massively. The XT does have more suspension travel than the TW, but it is still a very budget suspension setup. Way too fast rebound on both ends, and way to soft compression on the front. It's like riding a pogo stick with wheels, but so is the TW...haha. If you need power to get up big ass hills or big sand dunes, skip the hell out of this bike. Otherwise, it's been awesome. I'm just trying to work out that nagging issue: hoping that I can sort it out well enough to basically just ignore it and just ride the bike...which should be possible.

As someone else mentioned, if you've got some money, you might consider other models, like the WRR or DRZ. If you don't have money...^^ Oh and I wouldn't do the CRFL because it's 30 pounds heavier, and because of the cam chain tensioner on it (prone to being a quality-uncontrolled POS).

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Oh and I wouldn't do the CRFL because it's 30 pounds heavier, and because of the cam chain tensioner on it (prone to being a quality-uncontrolled POS).
That's not specific to the CRF that is a problem on every Honda ever. Honda has never perfected that one piece of machinery and they fail quicker than anyone else's. A lot of people just get manual chain tensioners once they fail. Then you just have to remember to adjust it every now and again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my 2015 XT250 brand new, and have almost 8,000 miles on it now. If I'm honest, I'm having mixed feelings about it, at the moment, because I've been having a problem with the drive train. I'm afraid it is a design flaw of the bike, which cannot be properly fixed. I have become a bit bitter and angry about it. None of the things I've thought of, nor anything suggested by forum members, has been the culprit of the issue. I've reached the point where I'm just going to ride it...no other choice, really.

Anyway, aside from all that ^^..
"I gots to know." What is the problem you're having with the drivetrain?

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
I like my TW. When we shuttle boats for fishing we often need to ride dirt roads with gravel to baseball (no shit!) sized rocks on them. The TW out runs all cars and trucks and most other motorcycles (unless the other cycle is being ridden HARD). Seriously! The TW is the BEST dirt road bike I have ever ridden. Hell, it makes them FUN. I used to hate doing the shuttles on the CT110 (a good bike but, really?).

·
Registered
2,480 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Took a little trip today after work and picked something up. Found a '17 with 208 miles on it for $1000 under MSRP. Was not able to ignore it. :D
Congrats!
Please compare seat comfort after a long ride.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Took a little trip today after work and picked something up. Found a '17 with 208 miles on it for $1000 under MSRP. Was not able to ignore it. :D
Awesome! I must say that's a sweet looking little bike (I'm not biased or anything...haha) and a nice truck, too! Based on what you said about your riding habits (wanting more street capability than the TW offers), I think you would absolutely love the 16 tooth front sprocket (16/48 or equivalent) on the XT250. It is SO nice on the highway with that gearing, and still does fine off road! Plus, if you change to that gearing, your speedometer will be dead on (stock is somewhat inaccurate).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a new XT-200 back in the late 80's. I was not an experienced rider and went to Big Bend with five guys who were. They promised we'd take it easy and smell the roses. Well, they rode like scalded-assed apes and I had to learn to ride or be left behind to die a miserable death in the desert or worse, feel embarrassed at my lack of skill. We rode just about every trail Big Bend has to offer and by the end of our week of riding I was doing things on that little XT-200 that amazed me. I fell in love with that bike and felt I could do anything on it. I never dropped it even though I was pushing myself way beyond my comfort level. One of the other riders took a bad spill on the Old Ore Road and when he emerged from the dust cloud he had been stripped just about naked from the rocks and cactus. He had to duct tape his clothes on as they were torn to shreds. I eventually sold that XT-200 and besides marrying my high school sweetheart, it was the stupidest thing I've ever done. That was a great trip and I smiled all the way back.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Excellent!
Hmmmmm.....that's a start....;););)

handguards
skid plate
rear rack

++++++

jb

·
Registered
486 Posts
I sold my TW because I rode mostly dirt roads and couldn't get over 55-60 going to & from.
Since I sold my GS I'm thinking of an XT250. But I'd like a smaller diameter front wheel.
Maybe 18 or 19 in. with a less knobby tire. Anyone have experience along these line?

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I just have an issue with the thinking of the Yamaha design engineers. I had both bikes at the same time 2006 TW 200 and 2006 XT 225. I liked both bikes real well but for different riding. The TW was a tried and true TW all the way with all the standard advantages and disadvantages of low power. The XT 225 was a little lighter and a little quicker and had way better suspension and seat comfort but where the XT really excelled was on the pavement because it had that 6th gear we constantly search for on our TWs. Fast forward and they crank the XT up to a 250 engine so with 25 more CCs I guess it could have a pinch more power but in the process they dropped it back to a 5 speed tranny which IMO makes absolutely no sense. If I was to do it over I am pretty sure I would find a nice used XT 225 with 6 speeds and do a little engine upgrade bringing it up to 250 CCs if this is even a possibility. I often wondered if any of you guys have tried transplanting an XT 225 motor into a TW frame and if it fits. All I know for sure is out on the highway riding the XT 225 once I got it in 6th gear the ride was much smoother and seemed way more effortless to maintain 70 MPH. I loved all of my TWs over the years but the XT 225 held a special place in my heart when I wanted to run on pavement with some side excursions onto trails. These days being older and not nearly as much of a ram rod as I used to be I have finally found my dream bike that I am in the process of restoring back to full readiness and plan to riding into the sun set. The BW 350 is my bike of choice now and I can't wait to get some seat time on it to really be able to report my opinions between the TW, XT 225 and the BW 350. Granted they are all completely different bikes and all have their advantages and disadvantages but as my years add up and my style slows down I still want to go where a man on an off road bike can get the thrills of being in no mans land and deep in the woods along a nice river fishing some trout holes that few ever walk in to. Yamaha should have kept the 6 speed transmission in the XT 250 and I think that would have been a real winner.

GaryL

21 - 40 of 49 Posts