TW200 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Bunch of weirdos.. :cool:
Darn you. I'm Bi-Cycle-ual and proud of it!

Oilhed, I have a 80/100-21 on the front & a 100/100-18 on the rear of my old XR250L. Maybe more extreme than the 18 or 19 than you were looking to compare. The difference in performance off-road is quiet dramatic. The XR is much more of a performer in the dirt and sand but I can't say it is just because of the tires. That's a personal choice. I mean it was designed just for off-road with all the accessories to let you ride on the street too.

The TW will happily plod along and do whatever you ask of it loyally. Not great at any one thing unless to dial it in for one specific task. It's an every-thing bike.

Both are comfortable at 50-55-60 and more if I want to push it. The TW has a 47T sprocket and the XR has a 44T (stock back in 1991 was 40T).
If you need to go faster you'll probably want to look at a bigger bike. Gearing fast for the pavement will make them suck-ass with less torque and bottom-end on the trails.
Basic alchemy.

The second small dual-sport bike I ever rode after the TW was a 2006 XT225 that a friend bought. I really liked riding it and it's so frickin light and 6 speeds is the way to go.
Another buddy has a 2018 XT250 and is very happy with it. It is fast out-of-the-box but I have not personally ridden it yet. He did ride my TW but wanted just a bit more "umph".

Apples and Oranges no matter what you compare old or new to a TW. You can get away with faster speeds and control with the bigger and thinner tires IMO.
But the TW is Big-Boned and the happiest bike I own. :)
IMG_8752.JPG

IMG_8757.JPG

IMG_8758.JPG

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I often wondered if any of you guys have tried transplanting an XT 225 motor into a TW frame and if it fits.
GaryL
it does gary.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/7810-tw230-engine-notes-xt225-ttr230.html

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/61492-tw225-countershaft-extension-xt-ttr-etc-6-speed-big-bore-conversions.html

i began my trail down into the tdub rabbit hole while looking for an xt225, what a long strange trip it's been, and enjoyed every mile.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

Here is your TW 200 along side of her twin sister XT 225 both bought the same day from the same dealer. I only ever rode your TW for maybe 20 miles total but had plenty of other TWs before it and all were the same from 1987 right up through 2010. The XT 225 was a completely different bike I will bet besides the better suspension all around and the 6th gear the real difference was in the skinny tires which reduced the weight, drag and made for a more quiet ride on pavement.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ahh, she was so young and innocent then.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe the issue of Ford vs Dodge was settled decades ago ;)

The Ford vs. Dodge thing was settled--by the Toyota Tundra. Two (4.7L Tundras) have done a confirmed 1,000,000 miles w/o internal engine work (Toyota bought the first one back and gave the owner a NEW Tundra) and the first of the 5.7L Tundra's is on track to break 1,000,000 miles this year (before COVID-19, that is).

Million-mile Toyota Tundra owner given brand new truck
Second Toyota Tundra Pickup Hits a Million Miles, Serviced at Same Dealer as the First Better advertising than a good Yelp review.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think the place where the TW really shines is in the baby head size rocks. Stays well planted without the front end diving left and right.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts