TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the market for a run-around-town and sometimes on the highway kinda bike. I've always admired the TW200 but in doing the research ahead of buying, I'm seeing about the same pricing on the TW, CRF and KLX (250 - not 225).

I have yet to sit on any of them and that may play a big role in the decision - I'm 5'8.... and I'm not sure about the taller 250's.

But I sure like the top end of the 250's and they still get 70ish MPG.

The dealer that I'm talking to that handles all of these is trying to talk me into the Honda. Says he'll have to get the TW from another dealer IF he can find one. Doesn't seem to happy with Yamaha...

So - why are you a TW200 owner instead of one of the 250's?

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
OSOK, I think both the models you listed above are 250's now. Back when I purchased my TW in 2005, most of the model's were 225's, and I didn't see much of a difference. If I was in the market for a bike today, I would go with a 250 instead of the TW. However, I've been very pleased with my TW as I use it (not a lot of open highway riding...but some).

The TW does have a bit lower seat heigth, but a Yamaha XT250 isn't much different. Saw them side by side at a dealership a couple weeks ago and was surprised the XT was nearly as low, seat wise, as the TW.

Thems my tought's.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you want to have a bike that triggers curiousity, unlimited options of making this bike your own personality, staying on two wheels vs. falling, having fun, not worrying about going super fast, riding with people without major egos and more of a fun for life attitude. There is no question. If you want to go fast, keep up with the Jones' and make your salesman happy don't buy a TW.

Who cares how hard the saleman has to work to make a phone call or two. YOU are the one who will be riding the TW. You will find yourself personalizing your TW and smiling with everything you do to it, with it and on it. IMG_6047.JPG IMG_6051.JPG IMG_6455.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Here are a few more unless it's stock...no tw us the same. tw200_hbk03.jpg tw.jpg tw 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If you want fast you should look elsewhere. The crf is a good bike and may suit your needs better. The tw is not meant to go on the highway. I make short trips on the highway going 65mph but it is not suggested... but doable. The tw shines when you just want to putt around offroad and enjoy the scenery. You can ride at a walking pace without stalling. It is also the perfect bike for beginners because of its low seat height and ease of use. Think of your intentions for the bike you want and it will be easy to decide between the 3.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am 5'8 and have a TW and a taller Husky 650. From my experience sitting on the CRF250l and KLX250 I would recommend the Honda. It is not too tall for people of our height. It is also fuel injected which is nice (being at high elevation). The KLX is tall, carbureted, and not as good of value as the Honda IMHO.

The TW is not a highway bike and neither is the Honda but the Honda will fare much better on the super slab. If I were to just have one bike I would choose the Honda. The TW is a great bike to compliment another bike. I say this because of the lack of top speed and power. I love my little T-dub but I am glad I have another more powerful Hwy worthy bike :).

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I am in the market for a run-around-town and sometimes on the highway kinda bike.
You did not say anything about off-road. If you are not going to be going off road much, and you want to spend some time on the highway, my recommendation would be to look at something other than the TW. Off road, the TW shines. Below 55 or 60 it is also OK. For speeds above that there are better options. That is just my opinion, others may feel differently.

I have yet to sit on any of them and that may play a big role in the decision - I'm 5'8.... and I'm not sure about the taller 250's.
I am 5'9" and test rode the CRF250L. It has a taller seat than the TW but I did not have any problem with it at all.

Here are two threads that discuss the CRF250L compared to the TW:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank y'all for the replies - Braden - great vid! And Joedirt - the pics are awesome too. I've been checking things out - joined a few other bike forums - this is by far the best and the one that I feel more at home on - because of the members. I was PM'd by one that's in my state - offering to help me - that's what I'm talking about.

I've been admiring the TW's for a long time. The reason I didn't get one before now was... I was married. But that sadly has changed - after 31 years. Simple, uncontested divorce, no one else involved and no fighting - we are working together well even though I do not want the divorce... BUT, now that she has no input, I feel free to pursue my own interests including getting a bike.

And I think ya'll have made my mind up. The Honda might be more practical but the TW just has something that no other bike seems to possess = and as said, it seems to attract the kind of folks that I feel the most comfortable around.

TW it is - now just need to locate one and pull the trigger.

If I really dig the TW and feel that I want more power, I can get a bigger bike later.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Old White Truck - thanks. As said, the CRF makes more sense but then, it doesn't feel the same to me if that makes any sense at all coming from a conservative guy lol.

I actually live on some land with trails and the property is located on a dirt road, so I'll be riding it "off road" all of the time just going to and fro.

I also would like to do some trail riding/camping. I have a lot of backpacking gear already and the TW would be perfect for that.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I kinda like the "bulkiness" of the tw. The other bikes seem a bit anemic when you straddle them but that makes for better offroading. None of these bikes are powerhouses and thats why I got my 690. The tw has its advantages but speed is not one of them. I justified buying mine thinking that I could just pass it down to the wifey but that didnt happen. She just had to have the green klx Because she "likes the way it looks" :kiwi-fruit: I let friends ride imy tw so I have someone to ride with. The tw is just a fun little bike that can be customized for less than many others. Sounds to me like you have your mind made up... :toothy9:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
OSOK...I will also biasedly say that the TDubbers are much more grounded redneckish, real, fun and goofy that any other forum. They are also the kind of people that stop and help you on the trail. We will also talk your ears off, not leave until you are 100% fixed and then make sure you have more than you need to get back home.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Buy a TW. Use it for "TW things". You can find a very good 5 year old bike with less than 1000 miles for around $3,500.00 (ask for records). I think you will find some different reasons to own a "dirt bike". Then, if you want more power/wheel stands keep the TW for all the new reasons you have discovered and buy a second "larger" bike.

Me, I am 64 yrs old, The TW is everything I need. Easy to ride. Easy to fix. And, lots of parts and advice from a good group of riders.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys - redneckish is me lol

And I'm going to go ahead and buy new - I don't have a good record with motorized gizmos attained used - I always seem to get somebody's mistake... at least new, it'll have a short warranty and I can be sure that it gets good maintenance right from the get go. Besides, I have a son in college for one more semester and needing financial help... so I'm trying to keep the cash outlays to a minimum...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I ride my 87 TW EVERYDAY in Dallas/Ft Worth traffic down interstate 20, a four lane and vey busy highway. I love the TW in almost every instance I've come across so far. My last everyday rider for almost four years was a 05 Yamaha R6, speed limit down I-20 is 60 in most areas. I wanted to slow down and be more comfortable on the road. I haven't even thought about taking the R6 out once since getting my TW back in May. I switched over to a 14/49 sprocket setup last week and cruise at 65 all day. Get stuck in car crash traffic, no problem, cross the ditch and hit the access road and let the lemmings suffer as I wave goodbye. It's almost a culture choice when picking the TW, because it's numbers aren't going to blow anyone away. Just the long lasting pride all the TW owners have.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Forget about how hard the saleman has to work. Get the TDub.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know exactly what you're talking about - lived in Plano for 3 years. DFW traffic is crazy.

I really like the low seat and fat tires - and the economy of the thing.

They are also very simply designed and obviously have a good track record for reliability and longevity.

I'm going to have to wait a bit to get mine... my son needed $1000 helper check and I just got back from the doc to treat a sinus infection - $$$$.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
At 65 I realize that I wish they had had these when I was a teenager. Of course at that time the 305 honda dream was the big bike on the block as far as the new wave of two wheelers. I had a new 250 big bear yamaha scrambler. Didn't care for that twostroke, but dad didn't like the honda dealer so was stuck.

These TW's make a great first bike, then when you go and want more power, more speed, more, more more, you get back to that little TW was all I needed to get me around town, out to the woods and back with ease. I have two, and wife is trying to get up to speed. She is used to sitting on the back of the highway cruisers to have paid much attention to rolling one herself. I find myself hopping on my TW more and more for around here. The big bikes are nice for long journey, but for being handy and nimble, the TW takes the cake.

One more thing. What other bike has a forum like this, none that I know of. And one bike that was built in the eighties, that has not changed much and parts are available everywhere. There is not another one like it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
In additon to the bike and the forum. There are so many things you can do to created your TDub's character. And for the most part, the prices range between $25-$100 to do whatever you want.

That beats $1000-!0,000 or more when you have an old car in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
At 65 I realize that I wish they had had these when I was a teenager. Of course at that time the 305 honda dream was the big bike on the block as far as the new wave of two wheelers. I had a new 250 big bear yamaha scrambler. Didn't care for that twostroke, but dad didn't like the honda dealer so was stuck.

These TW's make a great first bike, then when you go and want more power, more speed, more, more more, you get back to that little TW was all I needed to get me around town, out to the woods and back with ease. I have two, and wife is trying to get up to speed. She is used to sitting on the back of the highway cruisers to have paid much attention to rolling one herself. I find myself hopping on my TW more and more for around here. The big bikes are nice for long journey, but for being handy and nimble, the TW takes the cake.

One more thing. What other bike has a forum like this, none that I know of. And one bike that was built in the eighties, that has not changed much and parts are available everywhere. There is not another one like it.
Totally agree with you Plumbstraight...

For me, at (60) years old, it takes me back to when I was a kid, back when it was honda 50's and 90's. Later on I went to the Yamaha 250's and 360's, then on to a Honda cb350 street bike. For some reason, after that I rode street bikes and didn't have a dirt bike again. (boy, was I ever missing out) Anyway, after many years and several bikes, I ran across a TW and had to have it. The Harley sits in the garage unless I am going out of town or on the highway and the TW gets to go out almost every day. :D

I really love my TW because it takes almost no warm up time, (unlike the Harley) and I can ride it in the winter!
Great bikes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts