TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why take a perfectly good TW and Frankenstein it and then say it will go any where:confused:
Yamaha tw200
It might make for an interesting road only bike, but the geometry of the bike looks like you want to do hill climbs.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Why take a perfectly good TW and Frankenstein it and then say it will go any where:confused:
Yamaha tw200
It might make for an interesting road only bike, but the geometry of the bike looks like you want to do hill climbs.
Everywhere, in this context, would mean Starbucks, hair boutique, art gallery, sports pub, the next Phish concert etc........:D

Tom

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Looks like a nice brat mod to me. And I don't see why it wouldn't do well off road. I don't want a mod like this, but don't understand why you don't think it would do well off road???

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Looks like a nice brat mod to me. And I don't see why it wouldn't do well off road. I don't want a mod like this, but don't understand why you don't think it would do well off road???

Less functional ground clearance than stock would be my first problem.... That exhaust would be beat to crap on some of our shopping mall speed bumps.

Tom

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Very true about ground clearance. And no skid plate. But otherwise, I think hill climbing ability would be enhanced with stretched swing arm. And seems to have a nice chain tensioner.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Sorry. I wouldn't give you 400 bucks for it.

I just don't see the utility in a bike like that. I do however, admire the ingenuity that went into it.

But remember... I'm the guy that UN-cafe's all these old Hondas.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I wonder how much weight was removed, and why the passenger pegs are still on there. I am thinking of trying to find and fit a solo saddle on one of my TW's.. Plumbstraight has done this, and so has Gerry. My sorry buns get a little annoyed at only about ten miles. Yeah, I know.....wus!

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Yeah, if you get rid of the stock rear fender, cowl and slash guard it "handles very well in the rain".:rolleyes:

Actually it appears to be a very well done brat mod that might be hard to re-create for the asking price if you are into that look. I'ld probably park it in the rain though.

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Here are some brat conversions flailing around off-road overseas and getting very muddy. Guess the stock fender has a purpose after all.;).videoplayback

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
At first glance I like the look of those bikes. They make me think of a hill climbing street bike. But yeah long turn radius limits maneuverability and that pipe is no good for actual offroad. No fenders might be acceptable in AZ on the pavement. But I'd rather have something to keep the spray away. I like the extended swing arms but the ones available for sale are too long IMO. I do wonder how this might handle offroad, jacked up with longer front suspension.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'ld probably park it in the rain though.
I dunno; I'd probably at least cover it with a tarp or something. ;)

I've seen/heard people say you can "drive it anywhere" when describing a car they are trying to sell; meaning it's mechanically good enough to take on a long road trip without breaking down. I wonder if that's the context the seller is going for here, instead of the off-road thing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Some wise, wise words from that idiot, Steve Colbert;

Steve Colbert; "Some people look to the west and say Wyoming.

I look to the west and say Wy-not-oming !?!?:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Less functional ground clearance than stock would be my first problem.... That exhaust would be beat to crap on some of our shopping mall speed bumps.

Tom
That, and the longer wheelbase would have it hanging up.

And the exhaust pipe would catch on rocks.

People do this...god knows why. They'll get a bike and butcher it...put a comically-long swing-arm on it, run a straight pipe out, sometimes with a clownish taper. No fenders and often no suspension, and then advertise it for sale at around $5000.

And they KEEP ON doing it. Where do these people get the money and time to waste? Doesn't the word get down to the medical-marijuana stores, that when you butcher a motorcycle like that, you just LOSE ALL THE MONEY YOU SPENT on it?

Apparently it doesn't. It's one more candidate for the scrap pile. Keeps Yamaha going, anyway...less used means the sale of more new.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts