TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
12 foot sit-on-tops are a little wide and thus slow but stable for a novice paddler. Plenty good enough for ponds and not too windy reservoirs. That particular model seems a little expensive, especially with the quoted shipping fee. I prefer a conventional sit inside kayak due to lower center of gravity, sheltered legs from sun and wind, plus ability to shed waves staying dry once that wind does pick up.
Now I being lazy guy use electric motors to push me around lakes:p Used hull was around $125, 55lb thrust motor plus rod holders, etc pushed total price up around $500. Car-toppable boats are great for trolling those back country remote lakes where a trailered boat can't go or launch. Power allows towing of other kayaks or a canoe full of camping gear and dogs, plus can motor back when strong winds want to pin you on down wind side of lakes. P7300558.JPG

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe jumping the gun...she just mentioned one...would rather find a 12 or 14 foot deep v aluminium boat and motor...I'm not much of a fisherman...if I can't shoot it or trap it I get bored pretty quick...

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Try trolling with your beaver traps then Flathat, you can then shoot anything that comes back to the boat.:p
Around here the same $670 for the Eagle Talon can often get a used aluminum boat, motor and trailer off-season. We have a few major lakes that require 4-strokes thus making older 2-stroke motors less valuable..

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try trolling with your beaver traps then Flathat, you can then shoot anything that comes back to the boat.:p
Around here the same $670 can often get a used aluminum boat, motor and trailer off-season. We have a few major lakes that require 4-strokes thus making older 2-stroke motors less valuable..
Ya...I found a 12 ft. Flat bottom with a merc 9.8 up and an electric trolling motor and trailer 10 miles away in 20 min of looking....asking 900, bet I could buy it for 750 or less...

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
12 foot sit-on-tops are a little wide and thus slow but stable for a novice paddler. Plenty good enough for ponds and not too windy reservoirs. That particular model seems a little expensive, especially with the quoted shipping fee. I prefer a conventional sit inside kayak due to lower center of gravity, sheltered legs from sun and wind, plus ability to shed waves staying dry once that wind does pick up.
Now I being lazy guy use electric motors to push me around lakes:p Used hull was around $125, 55lb thrust motor plus rod holders, etc pushed total price up around $500. Car-toppable boats are great for trolling those back country remote lakes where a trailered boat can't go or launch. Power allows towing of other kayaks or a canoe full of camping gear and dogs, plus can motor back when strong winds want to pin you on down wind side of lakes. View attachment 32046
Something like that would be great.... shoot me some name brands to research....

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Not really a swimmer....wading I could maybe see...the fishing bug just re-bit her...
If she enjoys fishing in the cooler months a sit-in kayak is the best bet. I highly recommend the Old Town vapor 10 angler. While it is not a easy paddling 14' touring yak it paddles and tracks very well, it is light enough for your wife to load herself and it is very stable. If she enjoyed getting wet and was going to do a lot of wading then a sit on top model would be the way to go. Sit-on models are almost always heavier, wider and much slower paddling and turning. In the summer months I prefer my sit-on for fishing\swimming\snorkeling but it does not load as easily as my sit-in models.

Tom

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Liking the electric motor idea very much...
In THAT case buy a flat back canoe instead. Not aware of too many kayaks that come with trolling motor mounts. Many that come with integrated electric motors but those prices go WAY up!

Tom

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
If she is not really a swimmer......which was going to be MY question to you.....do you think she will be safe going out in one of these kayaks ?

Just a concern for safety...and nothing more.
Most of the "modern" fishing oriented kayaks are actually quite difficult to capsize. One of my Future Beach models is hard to capsize even when I was trying to!

Tom

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
My Electro-Yaks are one off custom creations so don't think any exact equivalents are currently for sale commercially. However check out the Bassyak in this link, it comes close:Electric Kayaks – an in Depth Look Lots if inferior home made designs on youtube for electric powered kayaks and canoes but the bassyak solves most of the issues of motor control, steering, and safe remote raising and lowering of the outboard from the cockpit.
By steering with your feet you can read, tie lures, eat lunch, operate a camera, etc all without all that loud splashing and dripping noises of a paddle, plus you aren't flashing that paddle that can be seen from a mile away. I've snuck up on otters, seals, deer, coyotes and countless geese with my boats if very careful to not make any motion, noise , or wake.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If she is not really a swimmer......which was going to be MY question to you.....do you think she will be safe going out in one of these kayaks ?

Just a concern for safety...and nothing more.
3 Lotus Pro Class 5....here.. been on a big jet boat most of my life...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
806 Posts
Like other sports, trail bikes for example, there are forums on the topics. I'm BIG into kayak fishing. With that said, I'm a firm believer in getting quality, just like I do with motorycles and why I got a TW200.

I recommend reviewing threads on this forum; NCKA Northern California Kayak Anglers
NorCal Kayak Anglers - Index

I go by the same name over there as here.

As far as a kayak for your wife, I can tell you I got mine a Old Town Predator 13. It's such a stable kayak, it can be fished while standing up.
Here's a photo of it when I got it for my wife on her birthday;

A quality kayak is not cheap. I got this one used for $700, about half of brand new. But, like motorcycles, the kayak is only the beginning of the cost. There are many other things needed before safely paddling on the water. Such as;
1. PFD life jacket (never let her or anyone use a kayak without one.)
2. Paddle (they have to 'fit' the kayak and the user equally and a good kayak shop can help find out the size needed.)
3. Cart (something used to wheel the kayak from the parking lot to the water and back
4. Clothing (I have a dry suit for ocean, hip and chest waders for mountain lake fishing, river shoes for warm water, spray jackets, etc...

Other less urgent items would be a VHF marine band radio, GPS, fish finder, rope, anchor, rudder in some instances, etc.

The Predator 13 has a seat that is adjustable and is very comfortable. It can be fitted with a rudder, which is great in wind and currents to keep pointed straight. It's wide, which makes paddling a little more difficult, but also makes it very stable.

My own kayak is a Hobie Pro Angler 14. It's much too much kayak for your wife I'm pretty sure. I take mine out on the ocean regularly and that's no small feat. I have also taken the Predator 13 on the ocean and it's almost as good, better in some ways than the PA14. Not as stable, but not as high profile so wind isn't as much to battle with. I use it some for ab diving and spear fishing. Several of the guys on NCKA use a Pred 13 for big water as well as lakes and streams.

Here's my set-up on hauling both our kayaks and gear;

·
Registered
209 Posts
A lot of good advice. I was big into offshore kayaking / spear fishing & whitewater, had 4 boats, 2 sit-on-tops, and 2 ww boats so other people could with me... It was a 50 / 50 kinda thing, some liked it , some, not so much. My advice would be RENT... Try different styles an see what you like. One more thing, stay away from the tandem boats, they usually end up w/ a fight....:mad:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts