TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the TW world here, just thinking of buying one. I would like to use it for commuting as well as some long distance-ish rides and of course some trails if I can. Here in Sri Lanka we have many modified TWs on the market imported from Japan. Most of them have their side farings removed. Some have what seem like shorter bodies as in this link Yamaha tw 2014 For sale in Gampaha Sri Lanka wondering if experts on the forum would care to take a look at this bike and tell me what they think has been done to it, and if it in any way seriously inhibits the integrity of the bike?

Much appreciated! and looking forward to being a part of this great community!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
As long as the engine is close to stock and jetted to match the exhaust and altitude, with a decent chain, you'll be okay for long trips, though that seat looks a little thin for long rides. The cosmetic changes won't make a difference in capability. The TW203/204 tire combo will definitely raise the paved road comfort and quiet in exchange for less traction in sand and mud. Can't see what has been done to the air filter due to the watermarks, but there needs to be one.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The low pipe on a bike that doesn't have a ton of ground clearance to begin with ,will definitely hinder your off road adventures ,but I raced mx bikes with down pipes in the mid 70's so it might be just fine for you .If you can get the stock parts with it you can swap back and forth easily if you like .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Yes, getting the stock parts won't be that hard. Just wondering if this bike has been sorta altered beyond hope :)

Also another important question I had; is there a way you can clearly tell the difference between pre and post 2001 models other than the disk brake and kickstarter? (because a lot of them are retrofitted here)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bruce! I don't think they'll be altered. care to elaborate on the exact differences in serial number involved? Be very grateful

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Different serial number formats are required in different markets. You'll need to research that locally.

·
Registered
386 Posts
it looks a bit too worn to be a 2014, i would say its a good few years older. there are a few tw's on there that are older than the year advertised,

this bike has a standard rear end, some of the other tw's listed on that site you can see have extended swing arms which give the bike a longer look.

i don't understand the Japan frame numbers, and cannot find the info online, my bikes have 9 digits rather than 17, there is a thread on here about this titled...[h=2]9 digit VIN number on bike, confused[/h] i have found so far that regarding the years,(from sitting on the bike) pre 00 older models the throttle cables attach to the carb on the left side, and right side on newer models 01 up, there is also a metal loop right side on the later models frames (just below the tank) for these cables to pass through but cannot see in the pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Just checked out the bike. the air box has been removed and its purely the filter that's been fixed

·
Registered
334 Posts
It may be a local loophole, grey imports etc. here (South Africa) are always lumped with a year/model info of the year they were imported, and not their original year of manufacture/sale by our department of vehicle licensing.

She doesn't look too bad, in terms of what has been done, she has an aftermarket headlight, tail-light and indicators, speedo, front fender and exhaust, it would really be a question of mileage and service/care history which will be iffy and based ion the persons' word.
If I heard it run, and could possibly test-ride it and it had the age-old "right price", I'd definitely pick that up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts