TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
You win I feel stupid but thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the stupid club. I'm a multi-award winner myself. Please don't add to what I just said Mrs. Admiral. Thank you. :p

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just helped a friend remove his kick stand and clutch lever switches so now his TW will start and run regardless of kickstand/gear/clutch lever position. Of course, this is extremely dangerous but I ride a TW....clearly I live on the edge....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I fall for the kick stand often....and other riders I'm with often forget kill switches or petcock valves. I've seen riders kick their kick start and just about throw their bike not realizing their fuel is shut off. Gotta do your check lists.

And then there's leaving your blinkers on...I do this a lot. Fortunately I'm strictly offroad. Otherwise I'd have to buy a circuit to shut them off.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Not having a kick stand shut off does sound a lot like running with scissors.

Oh yeah and when it happens to me I start up fine and when the fast bikes I ride with take off I switch into gear and .....shut off. Bye guys! Good thing I like eating dirt.....

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I have several 70s era bikes that have no interlocks, never had an issue with the clutch/neutral but have more than once started out with the kick stand down. NOT a good plan! i am a believer on the safeties, but also I figure out before hand how to bypass them when they fail 100 miles from nowhere I always laminate a copy of the wire diagram and keep it on the bike, VERY handy when stuck with an electrical problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2014 900 CC Triumph America, as well asl my 2010 TW willl not move, but rather will die immediately, if the side stand is " down " and I put it in gear.:BangHead:

However, my newer 2017 Harley Softail Slim will easily "start " right up and can be ridden off from a gas pump ( or my favorite watering hole ) even with the side stand down...... It definately gets my attention real quick. :BangHead::rolleyes:

So I guess in the case of Harley Davidson, perhaps some of their technology lags in this safety design ommission. They do seem to pretty much actually still make them "Ole School and Retro " still today, even though the engines have definately been re-designed and improved thorought the years to make them bigger, faster and more reliable. ;):D

I guess Im saying I'm not sure you can use a time period such as " the 70's " when describing all bikes and the way they are designed in a blanket statement concerning the latest technology being used industry wide.

excalibur

·
Registered
457 Posts
I do not care for a side stand safety, is the bypass a simple connecting of two wires ??

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Bike should start in neutral with the kickstrand down. If you put it in gear with the stand down it will shut off. The purpose of that, if you didn't know, is so that if you ride off with the stand down and make a left turn, it will prevent you from going down as the stand hits the ground and lifts the rear wheel off the road. It's not a good idea to bypass or remove the kickstand safety switch,it's there for a reason.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
So we still don't know nature of STOPTATB's problem, nor if it was ever resolved. Stated issue was: "when I try to start it I need to pull in the clutch just about one inch". Pull clutch in more or less than 1 inch causes problems?
What is nature of problem, i.e. does the starter motor turn over or not turn over?
Most every response seems to assume a side stand was left down creating the safety interlock issue but this is an assumption that disregards the OP's "
need to pull in the clutch just about one inch". If stated accurately in regards to needing the one inch issue, then problem might well be the switch inside the clutch perch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts