TW200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to finally join this forum.
I bought a TW in Albuquerque a couple of weeks ago and brought it back to the High Rockies where I live in Colorado (around 8500 ft.) It drove great on the test drive and the day after I bought it (the weather was fairly warm then). But last weekend, I couldn't get her started in the morning when it was still in the 30's. I bought a battery charger and hooked that up for an hour or so. By then it had warmed up to the high 40's maybe, and I just barely got it running, but it died when I gave it some throttle too early. Then yesterday, I tried again after work, and couldn't get it to kick over (battery fully charged). I blew a shot of starting fluid into the air intake and that got it running just as good as ever. It will be a while before I'm comfortable enough making adjustments to the jets on my own, and if it is only giving me trouble in the cold, then I don't feel like it is urgent enough to find a local motorcycle mechanic just yet.

So my questions are 1.) Does spraying starting fluid directly into the air intake damage the air filter? I read a comment somewhere that said it will melt the TW's foam filter (I'm assuming they meant a chemical reaction, not a backfire). And 2.) Is there another place to spray the starting fluid that doesn't require taking off the seat? Preferably somewhere that doesn't require taking off any parts so I can just give it a quick shot and get going without having to use tools?

·
Registered
20,206 Posts
One can drill a hole in the airbox the size of the ether's small spray tube on the clean side of the filter in order to spray starting fluid not directly on the filter, then seal hole with small sheet metal screw.
However this stop-gap measure is not as desirable as keeping bike in a good state of tune such that a non-ether based starting regime will work consistently. Experience will allow one to amend starting drill slightly to accommodate different temperatures and elevations.
At 8500 ft in 30 degree weather stock jetting should be adequately rich. If one is to do any work it might be just ensuring carb and air filter are clean. At a mile high in cold weather my TWs will not start with the enriching circuit engaged. I will pull knob out to first detent and then crank starter for a few seconds resulting in a "bark". Then with enrichening plunger pushed back in the bike will then fire and idle. A significant warm up is then usually required to get engine to accelerate beyond idle speed.
Good luck.
I too have heard of the melted air filter story but never experienced that problem on my filters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts